1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has Tivo Dropped the Multi-Unit Discount?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Emacee, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Emacee

Emacee New Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Philadelphia...
    My Series 3 is getting a little long in the tooth (still works fine) and I'm starting think about the newer models, especially the Premiere 4. I went to Tivo's website to check prices and I don't see a multi-unitdiscount price listed. Yes, I logged on to the website and accessed through "My Account." And my series 3 is active (although I did have it off for a while when I got a free trial on the cable company DVR and thought I'd check it out).

So, what's the deal? Did they take away the discount from existing users? (If so, that sucks. I've felt like Tivo is nickel and diming us before.)

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The multi-service discount still exists. If you have an active TiVo on your account then the second unit is $12.99/mo instead of $14.99/mo or lifetime is $399 instead of $499

Dan

3. zalusky

zalusky Active Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    How about this scenario question. You have a series 3 that was purchased at full price and you then buy a series 4 and get the MSD lifetime discount for $399. You then at some point want to replace the Series 3 does the series 4 qualify as an active Tivo to get the MSD discount or because it itself got a MSD discount it does not qualify.

IE Do you have to have an active Tivo that was not PLS purchased with an MSD .discount.

4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I believe you have to have one TiVo with full price lifetime or full price monthly to qualify for MSD.

Dan

5. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Do you mean an S3 purchased at full price with a lifetime sub that was also purchased at full price?

'Cause if that S3 is still monthly, I'd use getting the S4 as leverage to get the $99 lifetime deal on the S3.

6. zalusky

zalusky Active Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    No I have lifetime on everything but all the subsequent units had PLS purchased with the MSD discount. What it means is I still have to keep the S3 if I want to get discounts on any future box upgrades.

7. larrs

larrs Movie Fan-Addict

May 2, 2005
    DFW
    That is correct to the "letter of the law". But, my first qualifying unit was an S1 that I used to get discounted lifetime on other units. I got rid of that unit in 2007 and still get discounted lifetime on other units I have purchased (last one was earlier this year). I also still have a $6.95 per month unit that S1 allowed me to get pricing for and when I sold it, it did not increase.

I have to believe it has something to do with the amount of time...

8. pdhenry

pdhenry Safety Pin

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    I am of the opinion that the letter of the law is all you can rely on.

9. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    Is that S1 still on your account? I no longer have the S1 units that qualified me for MSD but the new owners never transferred them to their accounts so I still get the benefit. Not sure if the S2 is a qualifier (bought it used) but the other two boxes were purchased using the MSD so I don't think they are qualifiers.