1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has Netflix been fixed yet?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by DJQuad, Aug 20, 2013.

1. DJQuad

DJQuad Poker Junkie

Dec 22, 2004
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Hey all, with Roamio is Netflix working? With Premieres there's an issue that the controls (FF, Rewind, pause) sometimes stop working. When this happens, after the show is over it just shows a blank screen instead of the menu.

The only thing that works is hitting the TiVo button and restarting Netflix. If that doesn't work the TiVo has to be restarted. It's been happening for months.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=505510 has more info.

2. Philmatic

Philmatic Member

Sep 17, 2003
    It's an entirely redesigned app that uses the same codebase (HTML 5) that most other players use, so I would assume so.

3. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    The Netflix App on the Roamio line has been updated to the HTML5 version and is reported to be more stable and significantly faster.

So the answer to your question is a cautious yes.

Note: We may see the HTML5 versions of these apps heading the the Premier line. "Looking into it". No promises from TiVo, so take it for what it is worth.

4. DJQuad

DJQuad Poker Junkie

Dec 22, 2004
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Yeah they often say that about broken features.. heh.

Has anyone that had the issue with a Premiere not having it with Roamio?

5. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Nobody has the Roamio yet... The reviewers seem to be quite impressed.

6. DJQuad

DJQuad Poker Junkie

Dec 22, 2004
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Bumping this since some have Roamios now :)

7. monkeydust

monkeydust New Member

Dec 12, 2004
    Watching a movie on it right now. Works great. No complaints. Nice ability to tell my ipad to play on my plus from netflix app too.

8. cpgny9

cpgny9 New Member

Feb 28, 2006
    I just set up my plus today.....Netflix and MLB TV work great. A little slower than Apple TV but still impressive. Those 2 were almost un-usable on my XL4. Everything runs smoothly and pretty fast.
    One big problem I use to run into was that I couldn't get back to regular TV (either pressing live or the tivo button) after using Netflix.....no problem at all on the new box.

9. DJQuad

DJQuad Poker Junkie

Dec 22, 2004
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Did you have the problem with Netflix on a Premiere though?

10. cpgny9

cpgny9 New Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Yes - was on a Premiere XL4 that I just purchased in Apr of this year. Most of the time it would eventually get back to live TV, but after several minutes. However, on a few occasions, I just gave up waiting and would unplug and reboot.

11. monkeydust

monkeydust New Member

Dec 12, 2004
    I have an Elite still in use and Netflix has all sorts of problems on that box.

12. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I don't know a single user who is successfully using the current Netflix app on the Premiere. I have Premiere boxes in three different locations (Tampa, Palm Harbor, and Gainesville) on three different service providers and they all are experiencing problems. TiVo has acknowledged the problems on multiple occasions on their forums and claims that it is a high priority that TiVo engineering and Netflix are investigating.

I'm hoping we see the HTML5 app wit DIAL support make it to the Premiere boxes.

13. TrooperOrange

TrooperOrange New Member

Apr 22, 2012
    I had an Elite, and the netflix app was crap. Took like a minute to launch, was slow as ****. Even hitting pause would take up to like 20 seconds.

Then one day I started having the problem this thread is about. Like 15 minutes into a show, nothing would work, no buttons or input at all etc....

Have a Roamio now, only watched one Netflix show so far, but just that experience was far better. App launched in about 10 seconds, pause actually worked in real time like pause should, and the controls kept working.

So on first blush, seems better.

Kinda off topic, but of note. The Elite was just slow and error prone enough it didn't seem like a good streaming solution, especially for netflix and youtube. Youtue was so bad, I would rather switch inputs than use the app. That is no long the case on the Roamio, much better.

14. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Northern...
    It'll be interesting if they do... I imagine the bulk of their development will be for the new platform and if they finally make my Elite usable for apps, I have one less reason to upgrade. ;) The portions of the Premiere fall update I've seen retain the older HDUI, versus the new look - not sure if HTML5 is associated with that and if we can draw any conclusions.

15. AdamNJ

AdamNJ New Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Dunellen, NJ
    netflix app is working great on my roamio pro. 1080p/24 working as well for some of the videos.