1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has Direct TV dropped any channels?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by calguy99, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Jan 2, 2007 #1 of 10
    calguy99

calguy99 New Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Cambria, CA
    Hi,

I was just watching CNN and an ad came on from Court TV telling Dish subscribers that they were dropped from the Dish channel lineup on January 1? Anything similar planned for Direct TV?

2. Jan 2, 2007 #2 of 10
  3. Jan 2, 2007 #3 of 10
    phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    DISH is constantly playing that game.

A couple of years ago CBS was the victim.
    DISH didn't want to pay what CBS wanted for DISH to be able to carry them, so DISH dropped all the owned and operated CBS affiliates from the local channels.

Just making a guess, but I'd bet that Court TV and DISH are currently in negotiations,
    contract was up 12-31-06, and DISH is up to their old tricks.

phox

4. Jan 2, 2007 #4 of 10
    drew2k

drew2k Drew != Drawn

Jun 9, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    DirecTV just dropped KidsMIX channel. Don't know of any other channels recently dropped ...

5. Jan 2, 2007 #5 of 10
    ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    They did drop the KidsMix...
    But they didn't drop any of the channels that where a part of it...

6. Jan 3, 2007 #6 of 10
    Squonk

Squonk New Member

Jun 8, 2005
    I don't know about dropping channels, but other than Christian broadcasts and shopping channels, they haven't added hardly anything new worth watching in years. I would love to have the Rave concert network that is only on Dish, but no dice. Why Dish has twice as many HD channels as Directv is beyond me. It may be a deal breaker for me moving up to high def.

7. Jan 3, 2007 #7 of 10
    ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    The "main" reason on why Dish Network has more HD content right now...
    Is they where able to purchase the two VOOM network SATs, and basically get "instant" bandwith for their customers.

So something that normally takes YEARS to prepare, build, schedule, launch, test, ect... Dish Network virtually got "overnight"

Where DirecTV is set to launch their SATs in the first half of this year.

Right now, DirecTV has pretty much no more bandwith for National HD's.

8. Jan 4, 2007 #8 of 10
    hyde76

hyde76 New Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Dropping KidsMix was disappionting because a few months back they started playing the audio from XM Kids so my kids could listen to XM Kids through the stereo with the TV off. I don't subscribe to TC Plus so KidsMix was my only access to XM Kids. Anyone know why they dropped it?

9. Jan 5, 2007 #9 of 10
    Curtis

Curtis New Member

Dec 2, 2003
    DTV didn't exactly drop the Fox Movie Channel but it is no longer available with my subscription package. I would have to upgrade to watch it. Bummer.

10. Idearat

Idearat New Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
    That one surprised me when I was trying to record something on FMC. I called to ask what was broken and told there had been a notice in my bill. When you do paperless billing and pay automatically that's not a great way for passing on information.

I think it was a $3 upgrade. For me, FMC is definitely worth that.