1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone put a 3rd Mini on their XL4 yet?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by jmpage2, Mar 14, 2013.

1. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    I'm curious if anyone has put a 3rd Mini on their 4 tuner TiVo yet? Originally we were told that there would be a limit of two units until dynamic tuner allocation arrived, but that limitation is not in print anywhere I can find on the TiVo website.

I am happy enough with the Mini that I am contemplating a 3rd one for the guest room.

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Pick one up and let us know if it works. :)

3. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Are you using MoCA or ethernet for network connectivity for the Minis? If using XL4 as a MoCA/ethernet bridge I wonder if there are any limitations on #devices connected.

4. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    The Xl4/Elite can only handle three simultaneous remote streams at a time, regardless of how many devices are connected.... three devices running at once should be well under 100megabit, so MoCA should be fine with that.

5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I use my XL4 as a MoCa bridge with 8 other devices connected to the Ethernet port via a Ethernet switch and it works fine.

6. trip1eX

trip1eX Active Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Record 4 shows and play back on the XL4 and 1 Mini at the same time as you are using menus and playing shows on the 2nd Mini.

7. overFEDEXed

overFEDEXed Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Centerville,...
    I got my two from Tivo and have two more sitting at BestBuy. I would experiment but I don't think that I will be picking them up.

Maybe I'll go down to the store to cancel. Then, they can release them for somebody else.

8. Loach

Loach New Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    Up to 16 MoCA devices can be on a MoCA 1.1 network.

9. tvn

tvn New Member

Sep 29, 2002
    New Jersey
    I have three Mini connected via MOCA to a Premiere 4 and everything works great. Minis are on three different floors of my house. No issues. Tuner allocation is frustrating because I don't want to release two tuners. But you can watch three recorded shows or two and one on Live TV simultaneously.

10. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    This is the info I was looking for, thanks!

Looks like if I want to populate the guest room with a Mini it will not be any problem at all.