1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware refresh likely?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by backspaces, Sep 28, 2013.

1. backspaces

backspaces New Member

Sep 13, 2005
    A sorta "tivo culture" question: Is it likely that tivo will slightly modify their hardware if they see issues/features they'd like to fix/add and can't do with the current hardware?

I suspect not, but thought I'd ask before I get my Roamio pro. I can likely last a few month more with my failing HD series 3 which is getting glitches (random reboots) so would do so if there is any chance of a HW mod.

Thanks!

-- Owen

2. Surrealone

Surrealone TiVoOnThEmInD

Dec 8, 2006
    I would say we are seeing the best of the best right now.....Like all devices a refresh will be in the works but not anytime soon.

3. NJguy

NJguy New Member

Sep 10, 2013
    As with most products the hardware is generally fine when released and it's really all about getting the software right. Once you take it out of Beta people think it should work properly....and logically it should but there are always tweaks to make it better. Probably why Google never takes anything out of Beta. :)

4. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    No

5. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I'd say it depends on when TiVo is planning to start working on the next generation of DVRs.
    That probably won't be for a while.

I could see them doing a hardware refresh maybe in a couple of years IF it only involves something easy like updating the chips on the motherboard.
    Something that doesn't require retooling the manufacturing process or redesigning the motherboard.

Having said that, I don't think it will actually happen.

6. anthonymoody

anthonymoody New Member

Apr 29, 2008
    Short of a 4K broadcast standard and hdmi 2.0 it's tough to see what they might've missed in this current generation of hardware that would require a refresh. I suppose more tuners could be added if the underlying cc/chip infrastructure becomes available. I'm more interested in the App Store, a robust selection of useful apps, and making all menus HD :)

7. SullyND

SullyND L:45-21 TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    The most likely "refresh" IMHO, and likely not soon, would be HD size. I could see 4GB Pro, 2GB Plus, 1GB Base.

8. backspaces

backspaces New Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Thanks all, that's good input .. and good news too, I can go ahead and order it!

9. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    OTA- I don't see that happening at all. Maybe for cable... quite frankly I think it is silly. Just a way to try an obsolete everything to sell more devices. The majority of the people out there can't tell the difference between DVD/SD and Bluray/HD. (We on this forum can, of course).

10. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    I think you mean TB (Terabyte) :)

11. SullyND

SullyND L:45-21 TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    LOL Yep.

Hey, I can record 5 whole minutes on my new Roamio! ;)

12. Philmatic

Philmatic Member

Sep 17, 2003
    The only hardware refresh that I can see coming is for the Mini. Mostly to put it in an enclosure that more closely resembles the Roamio family design, but maybe we'll see a spec bump in the CPU or MoCA.

13. ggieseke

ggieseke Active Member

May 30, 2008
    On my Pro (which I assume is just a Plus with a bigger hard drive) there are some cutouts in the back wall that look like 2 HDMI ports and some blank spots with chip layouts on the motherboard. I have no idea what that means for the future.

14. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Currently the Stream can't handle H.264 channels and it's been that way over a year. Don't know if there is a hardware limitation there (unable to decode H.264) but if so it may mean a possible hardware refresh. Could well be TiVo doesn't see it as a big issue so haven't bothered with a software update. Will wait and see what out of home streaming software update brings, but if H.264 handling is still not addressed with that update then I'd start to suspect hardware issue.

15. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Has the Plus/Pro been tested with H.264? I thought it was figured out that the Plus/Pro had the same chip from the Stream.

16. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    That's what I'm talking about - the integrated Stream in Plus/Pro. Yes, it has same problem as standalone Stream with H.264.

17. anthonymoody

anthonymoody New Member

Apr 29, 2008
    I disagree, but different strokes. All good.

18. backspaces

backspaces New Member

Sep 13, 2005
    It occurred to me to ask about the TiVo basic .. in terms of "future proofing".

I believe the basic only lacks 1) remote finder 2) streaming 3) disk space

So possibly the streaming capability may more important than it seems. In terms of HW refresh question, it may be that the streaming functionality may be required for certain firmware updates. Does that make sense? .. i.e. getting the streaming may have future capabilities that I'd want to have? (Had a sling for a while, and was great for watching TiVo on my computer and for NFL playoffs in Italy!)

I ask because it seems to me the alternatives are:
    1 - Basic + 2/3TB Disk .. around $300
    2 - Plus $400, and around $500 with 2/3TB disk
    3 - Pro $600, no worries!
    It seems 1 & 3 are the interesting ones, 2 is less a win price wise. I'm not too cost sensitive but 300/600 seems worth considering.

Thank you for your patience!

-- Owen

19. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    You missed at least another few items:
    4) 6 tuners (vs 4 for Basic)
    5) Integrated MoCA + MoCA bridge
    6) 100/1000 Mbps ethernet (vs 10/100 for Basic)
    7) Component + composite outputs without need for breakout cable

20. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    And

8) External power supply
    9) Cheapy plastic case
    10) Sub-standard size that doesn't fit well with other units
    11) Cable card on bottom