1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard drive failure

Discussion in 'VirginMedia TV with TiVo - UK' started by Paul Webster, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Paul Webster

Paul Webster Member

Nov 16, 2003
    UK
    My TiVo has just given up after numerous years of service.
    I got it in the early adopters program so I guess it is one of the older ones out in the field.

Pretty sure it is the hard drive that has gone - ominous clicks a couple of days ago and now does not boot.

Virgin engineer coming on Thursday. My guess is they will swap out the machine and not give me one of the new series.

2. sjp

sjp Active Member

Oct 22, 2001
    London, UK
    Yup, straight swap.

You can reload your SL's and thumbs etc. post swap once your replacement is registered via some my Virgin Media link that, as usual, I seem to be unable to locate.

3. OzSat

OzSat Very Nice Moderator

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
  4. Paul Webster

Paul Webster Member

Nov 16, 2003
    UK
    Thanks for the link.
    However, all show as empty for me - so I guess it is trying to get it live from the dead box rather than presenting a cached version.

5. sjp

sjp Active Member

Oct 22, 2001
    London, UK
    It should be a backed up copy of whatever was in play at the time of the swap, possibly last updated when your box last connected to VM.

It should be available for 14 days, if it doesn't appear soon give them a call and see what they can do.

6. Paul Webster

Paul Webster Member

Nov 16, 2003
    UK
    Box replaced - no sign of old season passes etc ... so will start again (not a big issue)

7. OzSat

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    You'll only see them on the website

8. Paul Webster

Paul Webster Member

Nov 16, 2003
    UK
    Yes, that was where I was looking.
    I saw 6 items starting"My" (like My Shows) but no export.
    When the old TiVo was failing but responding to IP pings there was nothing in any of the "My" sections.
    With the new one now running then I see the new searches etc that I have set-up - but still no export option.

I was using a relatively recent version of Chrome on Windows - and Virgin gave an "unsupported browser" warning.
    Maybe the Export option would appear if I tried a different browser but too late now.

9. sjp

sjp Active Member

Oct 22, 2001
    London, UK
    You might have done all the hard work but the copy over function I'd supposedly live for 14 days.

And, it's been so refreshing to interact without the usual whining and bitching that usually goes on over on the VM forum :)

10. OzSat

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Once logged in you should see and select 'Manage My TiVo' on the left of the screen on http://anywhere.virginmedia.com/tivo/

You should then see a menu on the left of the screen with 'Copy TiVo Settings' at the bottom.

11. Paul Webster

Paul Webster Member

Nov 16, 2003
    UK
    This is what I see (Chrome and Safari)
    https://twitter.com/paulwebster/status/787727602005975040

Edit:
    Just tried using MS Edge on Win10 - no warning that it was unsupported and no Copy menu item on left.
    Perhaps this is something that they have to enable by account or class or service.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  12. OzSat

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    I wonder if it is because it has the same name as the previous TiVo?

I always give replacements a different name - keeping the last 4 digits of the box in the name.

Could rename it and see if the old one reappears

13. Paul Webster

Paul Webster Member

Nov 16, 2003
    UK
    I didn't rename the original. It was CDBE or similar.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016