1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard drive bad again

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by davevt98, Sep 17, 2012.

1. davevt98

davevt98 New Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Does anyone have a 250gbhard drive to replace my faulty drive? I have lifetime service on my tcd648 model and don't want to give it up.

2. WO312

WO312 Active Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Finger...
    I don't have one, but why 250?? You can replace it with just about any drive that size or larger.

3. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Are you sure it's the hard drive?

648's have been notorious for power supply issues lately. Open up the Tivo and inspect the power supply before suspecting the hard drive.
    Pay close attention to the capacitors. You don't want to see any bulging or leaks.

Read/scan through this thread.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=483814

It has pictures of a bad capacitor - that will give you some idea what to look for.

4. davevt98

davevt98 New Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Check the transistors and nothing looks out of place. The s3 now just reboots itself. I tried some kickstart codes and while it looks like it is doing something (installing update, green screen, etc.), it continues to just reboot.

I thought it was the hard drive but I am now having second thoughts. Any ideas out there?

5. mrelectron

mrelectron New Member

Jul 22, 2012
    Dallas, TX
  6. davevt98

davevt98 New Member

Dec 9, 2004
  7. mrelectron

mrelectron New Member

Jul 22, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    OK, then likely it may be the HDD as you suspected.

Does the unit have cable cards?

Really what I'm trying to determine is do you want to persue a preformatted drive or copy your current drive on to a new drive?

8. davevt98

davevt98 New Member

Dec 9, 2004
    No cable cards. I imaged a drive myself last time it went bad but I am surprised that it would be bad again in just 6 months.

9. mrelectron

mrelectron New Member

Jul 22, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    That is surprising to only last six months. :eek:

For a 250GB drive google WD2500AVVS, newegg and amazon both have them.

This is a Western Digital 250GB Advanced Format drive made for this purpose.

10. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Make yourself a copy of the most recent Ultimate Boot CD (burn it as an image)

It's got manufacturers' diagnostic software for several brands, as well as other useful stuff.

Run the long test on that drive.

See if it's the drive itself or the software on the drive.

If you get a new one, you can do a lot better GB/$ wise with a bigger drive, up to 1 or maybe 2TB.