1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hack Tivo (Free Service Alternative/Install Linux/Myth TV?)

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by zacdl, Feb 11, 2007.

1. zacdl

zacdl New Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Basically I was given a Tivo (Direct TV kind). One of the first and simplest questions: this will work with a cable signal, right? There isn't anything that says it has to be satellite for it to work with this is there??

I already use a Replay TV for most of my shows, but I was thinking it would be nice to have this Tivo to play around with (media center stuff, etc), and also record shows.

My first question- without wiping the Tivo software off, is there any way to get some sort of free service (I know it is against forum rules to steal, etc. I am not looking to do that, I am looking for alternatives to the general pay-for method).

If that cannot be done, is there some sort of guide to installing Linux on a Tivo (Then MythTV or something). The only thing, if it installs right, how do you make sure the remote interfaces with the unit?

It is a Directv DVR R10. Thanks for any info you can give me.

2. SeanC

SeanC ECT

Dec 30, 2003
    Someplace
    No the Direct TV Tivo will not work with a cable box.

3. zacdl

zacdl New Member

Feb 11, 2007
    It does not have a built-in tuner?

4. SeanC

SeanC ECT

Dec 30, 2003
    Someplace
    That, and it doesn't have an MPEG endcoder.

5. zacdl

zacdl New Member

Feb 11, 2007
    So what on earth can you do with the darn thing?

6. skinnyjm

skinnyjm I'm Grumpy???

Feb 10, 2005
    Milky Way
    A DirecTiVo has 2 built-in tuners. However, they only accept DirecTV satellite signals (which are MPEG 2 encoded).
    So...a DirecTiVo will only record via the DirecTV service with an authorized DirecTV access card.
    Sorry, cable recording will NOT work.

You must subscribe to DirecTV.
    Sorry. :(

7. zacdl

zacdl New Member

Feb 11, 2007
    You can't even install linux to run with media stuff (even non-cable shows)? In other words, just watch shows you send to it?

I guess I am coming back around to my question- what can you do with the darn thing?

8. SeanC

SeanC ECT

Dec 30, 2003
    Someplace
    Nothing. It's a door stop without programming from DirectTV.

9. David Platt

David Platt !Texas TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Actually, you could hack it to enable the Home Media Features and use it for a media server. You could also use tivoserver to watch shows from your PC.

10. Tonedeaf

Tonedeaf New Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Rockwall, TX
    Hack it along with a PROM swap.

11. skinnyjm

skinnyjm I'm Grumpy???

Feb 10, 2005
    Milky Way
    Good Luck with that.

12. David Platt

David Platt !Texas TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Whoops. Didn't notice it was an R10. :eek:

Probably not worth going to the trouble, then.

13. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    The best thing you can do is sellit to somebody that will use it for its intended purpose, and go buy a box built for your intended purpose.

14. SuperFan

SuperFan New Member

Feb 26, 2007
    I am in a similar situation as Zacdl. I was given a direct tv tivo box and am a poor college student so I don't want to pay the monthly service fee to record 2 shows a week and nothing else.

My university has a campus wide subscription to Direct TV but for all practical purposes it works just like cable. They have a master feed to all the on campus housing with cable jacks that you plug into.

I have a Phillips DSR6000R01.

So can I use this box for more than a paperweight or am I in the same boat?

15. Da Goon

Da Goon Registered Abuser

Oct 22, 2006
    Since you have a Series 1 Dtivo, it will take quite a bit of work to make anything other than a doorstop. Put it on Ebay, somebody will buy it.

16. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    You are in the same boat. Despite what you receive being from DirecTV, you have what amounts to, at a techincal level, cable.
    Yuo need to install a DirecTV dish and subscribe to the DirecTV service, or get a standalone or PC based DVR that can record from a cable source.

17. SuperFan

SuperFan New Member

Feb 26, 2007
    Ok. Well let’s assume that this summer I will be moving to a new location with a direct TV satellite.

Does this unit have the lifetime service associated with it? I know this question gets asked a million times but here I go again... So assuming it does have lifetime service how do I get it transferred? Or does it just go with the box; whoever has the box has the lifetime service?

I know I'm being very n00bish here, but I am learning how tivo works as I read this amazing forum.

A final question (forgive me if I ask to much) but is it possible to take this unit I have and reformat it and flash the motherboard with a 3rd party software/bios to just convert it to a standard DVR unit? I know they have programs like Direct Cake but I’m not sure how they work or even relate to what I'm trying to do.

Between my roommate and I we have lots of free time (ahhh college:)) and are pretty tech savvy.

Thanks for all your help so far. I find it amazing you all know everything about these units.

18. gfb107

gfb107 New Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Cary, NC, USA
    The lifetime service, if you have it, is associated with the DirecTV account, not with the unit.

19. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    And no, there is nothing you can flash to make it a non Directv DVR.
    The physical silicon and associated components are DirecTV only, no software can really change that.

The "cake" would be instantcake, and that is simple a linix boot CD with a script and an essentially standard drive image, to build a drive for stock useage.

20. EricF

EricF New Member

Mar 18, 2006
    So...... Could you/is there available instead install completely new software (or image) on a TiVo box that takes advantage of some of the free services out there? Basically making the TiVo NOT a "TiVo" anymore?