1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gutted lifetime TiVo sub owner loses TiVo due to hardware fault.

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by ChrisH, Jul 19, 2005.

1. ChrisH

ChrisH New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    ConflictMgr DoRecordShowing:
    ProposeExplicitSelection returned err errDbNotFound

TiVo customer services advised me to reset the recorder/repeat guided setup.

I’ve done this FOUR times.

(after guided setup I waited several days to allow the downloaded TV programme guide data to “organise itself”)

I’m gutted as I have a lifetime subscription, which is on the TiVo unit (not the person), so if your TiVo box packs up, you loose your lifetime subscription!

TiVo said that my problem should have been resolved by resetting my recorder . The only thing he can suggest is a TiVo service call.

Where on earth would I get this done?

Maybe I should buy EyeTV as I now have a Mac, but nothing beats the real TiVo

2. dirtypacman

dirtypacman Coming and going

Feb 3, 2004
    MA
    Someone may tell you differently but I suggest trying to replace the hard drive-- this will allow for a new hard drive without losing your Lifetime service.

3. mjk

mjk Lurker

Mar 13, 2002
    Inverness, UK
    Second that. I would think that your machine is almost certainly recoverable. Simplest approach is to drop in a replacement hard drive. If you want to get more spohisticated and try and save current recordings, system passes, etc, that may well also be possible.

Don't give up hope just yet!

Martin

4. iankb

iankb New Member

Oct 9, 2000
    Reading, UK
    If you can get to a bash prompt (i.e. you're networked), then I would run 'mfscheck'. This looks like an error in the mfs filesystem, which may be due to a drive failure, but might also be just a correctable software-induced fault. These can often be corrected by running 'mfsassert -please', which will trigger a reboot into mfsfix, otherwise known as the 'Green Screen of Death'.

If you can't get a bash prompt, then a replacement drive is quite likely to fix the problem. Certainly well worth the risk, compared to the alternative of losing your TiVo.

5. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    This is one things I love about Linux; it's a very polite OS :D

6. blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    Instead of Guided Setup, have you tried "Clear and Delete Everything"?

This does what it says on the tin and can often cure database corruption problems.

Alternatively, you can trigger a GSOD using the remote by entering a special "kickstart" sequence during startup. Details here

And if that doesn't work, I would (maybe no surprise if you look at my homepage;)) agree that a new drive should fix your problem.

7. ChrisH

ChrisH New Member

Jun 22, 2005

Yes, I have tried "Clear and Delete Everything"

Guys, I appreciate your advice re: changing the hard drive, but I am not a techie. (though I know what linux is and have windows and mac experience)

Perhaps it is a hard drive fault - my TiVo unit has been used non-stop day-in, day-out for three years in a busy student house. (TiVo is loved by all!)

I have sweet talked TiVo and they may allow me to transfer my subscription to another TiVo unit!

This is great news.

But I am scared of buying a unit second hand off ebay that then breaks down!

Also, there are places out there selling TiVo s with HUGE hard drives. I don't need so much space as I watch and delete every few days.

I've been looking at TiVo alternatives, but nothing is as great as powerful and user-friendly TiVo. I love it.

also, I hate the fact the TiVo box is so big (if it was mass produced today it could be tiny - like the mac mini) -this is why I am reluctant to send it in the post for repairs.

8. blindlemon

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    Chris,

Replacing your drive with a preconfigured one is really very easy - and will give you an upgrade at the same time as (almost certainly) fixing your problem - without the risk of buying an unknown TiVo from eBay and the hassle of trying to get TiVo CS to transfer the sub :)

I have sent you a PM.

9. graham2503

graham2503 New but learning

Dec 21, 2004
    Nr Alton Towers
    Chris

I really would be tempted to put in a new hard drive as suggested above - you DON'T need to be technically minded. There are many on the Forum who will guide you through the process in non-technical terms. Even if you went out and bought a new PanaSonyPhilips XYZ 3.6 Hard Drive recorder (Note I don't use the phrase PVR!!) who is to say that its hard drive won't go into meltdown after so long. TiVo is so durable and adaptable that you can keep it going via a hard drive replacement in 9 out of 10 cases. Plus (and this is the biggy) where are you gonna find a Forum full of helpful enthusiasts when your PanaSonyThingy goes FUBAR. :D

Good luck

Graham

PS look at blindlemons homepage (click on his name on the post) he's not allowed to tout but he's the mutts nuts when it comes to HD replacements.

doh..... the visually challenged citric one beat me to it

10. 6022tivo

6022tivo A Happy Member

Oct 29, 2002
    North West, UK
    You can do a MFS check, i.e. force a green screen without your tivo being networked.

See instructions pinched from another page below (Can't find link, just found in my docs)

While booting the power light will change from green to yellow as the line 'checkpanic' in the rc.sysinit gets executed. This happens a few seconds before the screen changes from the startup image to "almost there" and it's your cue to hold down a button (use pause) on the remote to trigger a panic. When the record light changes yellow, key in one of the following sequences:

0 - emergency call to tivo, touchtone dialing
    1 - emergency call to tivo, pulse dialing
    9 - emergency call to tivo, touchtone w/ 9 prefix
    -- I suggest not doing any of these unless explicitly instructed

52 - emergency reinstall
    -- this will act like you've received new software but will reinstall the existing software on the alternate root partition and boot it, particularly useful so you don't have to go trolling for backup images when your hacks fail.

56 - software install

57 - mfs check
    58 - perform mfs cleanup
    -- both of these will cause the green screen and various mfs checks

11. blindlemon

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    It's the one I posted at 11:03 ;) :D:D

12. 6022tivo

6022tivo A Happy Member

Oct 29, 2002
    North West, UK
    Sorry... And I searched all over my HDD for that info.. Doh.

Never mind. :confused:

13. ChrisH

ChrisH New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Thanks guys but some of you are getting a bit technical for me.

I live in London. Very central - Zone 1 (EC1).

Could I maybe go down to Tottenham Court Road (famous in London for being full of gadget and electronic shops), buy a hard drive and try and install it (open my tivo up with a screw driver or something?)

I would prefer to pay someone else to do it in front of me.

Thanks for your replies. But there is no way I am mail ordering anything without any gaurantee that it will work. I just cannot afford to waste anymore money.

But... looks like you guys are all saying replace the hard drive and that should do the trick...

14. blindlemon

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    I wouldn't take your TiVo down to T.C.R. :eek:

You can't just plonk any old bare drive in there and expect it to work. It has to be configured first.

What more can I say....?

15. tray

tray New Member

Jul 11, 2005
    :) Don't throw your lifetime's subs away. But a new drive from one of these guys & carry on enjoying your Tivo !

16. thechachman

thechachman New Member

Nov 28, 2004
    S London
    ChrisH I work in EC2 ... I could probably pop by some evening post-work and give it a go if you wanted to try a driveswap (and I've upgraded mine to a pair of 160gb drives :D)

17. ChrisH

ChrisH New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    That would be very helpful!

Do you work near Liverpool Street or Bank type area?

I just don't want to waste money on a new hard drive (what if my TiVo problem doesn't go away!!! then I have a broken TiVo and a hard drive !!!!)

18. thechachman

thechachman New Member

Nov 28, 2004
    S London
    I work right at Throgmorton St & Old Broad St by the old London Stock Exchange, and (throwing my 2p worth in) it sounds like the drive is the prob to me.

I will not request any payment from yourself to resolve this and if offered would direct you to make a donation to the "7/7 fund" instead ...

But - have you tried the kickstart/53 to force a cleanup yet? If not do so, good chance this will resolve the problem on its own

Let me find the drive I pulled when I did the upgrade (should be in a drawer someplace) and we'll schedule something

19. ChrisH

ChrisH New Member

Jun 22, 2005

Hi, i forgot to mention
    pausing live tv still works (for 30 mins) - so could there really be a hard drive problem?

20. thechachman

thechachman New Member

Nov 28, 2004
    S London
    no likely not a hw problem then, do the kickstart/53 to force it to do the '1hr' cleanup and sort out routines, should be fine after that would think