1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guided Setup Before Update?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by andrews777, Sep 6, 2013.

1. andrews777

andrews777 New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Why does the Mini run through guided setup only to note that an update is ready and you will have to run guided setup again? Couldn't it have just checked for the update first and applied that?

2. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    You are asking us like we have an answer to this. There are technical reasons why they might have to do it this way, based on decisions made about the device start-up procedure and firmware.

3. TC25D

TC25D New Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Plus, Guided Setup happens right after purchase. It's not like you're going through it daily. TiVo has more important changes on their software To Do list.:D

4. andrews777

andrews777 New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    That could be, though it is more likely they didn't want to do very basic setup and check for an update before wasting all that time. It is a very annoying delay and shows lack of concern for their customers.

Annoying, though hopefully this doesn't mean we will have to do guided setup every time they update the system. I don't recall needing that for any of my other units.

5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The whole setup process for a Mini is annoying. Getting the thing to recognize it's attached to the right account to talk to the Premiere/Roamio you intend to use as a host usually requires at least a couple of calls, and typically a reboot of both devices. But once it's setup you never have to worry about that again so it's a temporary headache.

6. TC25D

TC25D New Member

Aug 21, 2013
    FWIW, I had no issues connecting the Mini to my Roamio Basic.

7. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    If you buy from TiVo and it takes a couple days for it to get to you then it's probably all synced up when you get it. But when you buy from anywhere else and don't buy service until you have it in hand and are ready to set it up can be a PITA.

8. TC25D

TC25D New Member

Aug 21, 2013
    That's the difference....I bought my Roamio Basic and Mini directly from TiVo. :)

9. andrews777

andrews777 New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    The only trouble I had setting up my 3 Minis was the relatively long time it took and the video challenges for my non-HDMI TV. I had set them up on my account when I got them from Amazon days before my Roamio arrived, so that may have helped.