1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GSOD install new blank drive - now just flashing

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by RickStrobel, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Oct 7, 2012 #1 of 10
    RickStrobel

RickStrobel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2000
    Having trouble with my TiVo Premiere. When I powered it up a while back I got the green screen message that there was a problem and was told to let it run for a while. I let it run for about 15 hours and it never resolved itself, it just kept rebooting and so forth in what I presume was an attempt to repair the drive.

Figuring I had a bad drive combined with the fact that I had a spare 1TB 5400 RPM drive that had not been used yet I decided to replace the drive.

I installed the drive and powered up the TiVo. I'd initially get the "Welcome! Starting up..." screen. Then after a moment it would go off then a few seconds later it would flash back on for a moment along with all the LEDs then they'd all go out and repeat the cycle every 10 seconds or so.

I know a TiVo is not going to run with a blank drive. Is there some way to force it to download the TiVo software from the network on startup? Is that what I need to do in this case?

2. Oct 7, 2012 #2 of 10
    jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Note- while this is likely a hard drive, it could be the power supply.

As you found, adding in a hard drive will not do anything. You need to get the software on the drive first. Follow the instructions in the upgrade section- your old drive may still work well enough to give it a try.

Otherwise, you need to get the software from someplace else. A drive image (free or cheap) or from a service provider already installed (can be pricey).

3. Oct 7, 2012 #3 of 10
    RickStrobel

Jan 19, 2000
    I tried following the kickstart codes listed here:
    http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-codes.php

But the TiVo doesn't appear to accept any of them.

With the original drive in the system will behave somewhat normally and try to start up, eventually give a green screen then restart.

With the new drive all the LEDs on the front panel flash every 3.5 seconds. The display to the TV flashes every 3.5 seconds along with the LEDs.

I disconnected the drive so there is no hard drive installed. The LEDs flash every 2.5 seconds and there is never any output to the TV.

4. Oct 7, 2012 #4 of 10
    RickStrobel

Jan 19, 2000
    Yeah, I was hoping that it could download the OS automatically using a kickstart code like this (from the weakknees link above) :

5. Oct 7, 2012 #5 of 10
    innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    No there is no way to force it to download the OS. That kickstart only works on a drive with the TiVo OS already on it.

You could try to copy the failing drive to the new drive using the Premiere tools.

6. Oct 7, 2012 #6 of 10
    RickStrobel

Jan 19, 2000
    OK. Was thinking it would have been cool if they added this feature (being able to download OS to a blank drive).

So I'll just follow the procedure at Premiere Drive Upgrade Instructions - with all-in-one jmfs Live CD. Assuming that's the tools you're referring to.

7. Oct 7, 2012 #7 of 10
    jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Yep.

Tivo allows us to upgrade hard drives, but they do not condone it.

8. Oct 7, 2012 #8 of 10
    innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Yeah the JMFS tools are the ones I am referring to. You can't use WinMFS due to the changes on the Premiere.

Hopefully one day they will allow easy upgrades, but it would require storing the OS on flash memory built into the board. I think the DirecTV DVRs work this way.

9. Oct 8, 2012 #9 of 10
    RickStrobel

Jan 19, 2000
    When booting that CD I get the message that no TiVo drives are attached. But my BIOS sees the original TiVo Premiere drive and the new blank one. I'm guessing my drive is so FUBAR that the jmfs Live CD can't even recognize it :(

I googled for a downloadable image of the Premiere's software but no luck. Maybe I should check my PMs?????

10. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    It would be nice, only...
    Unfortunately, the Premiere software can't be saved as an image file.
    What you can do, if your Premiere hard drive is FUBAR'd, is to buy another Premiere on the cheap, and swap the hard drives.
    After a Clear & Delete Everything, your Premiere will work again.

ETA: As an added bonus, you would end up with an extra power supply.