1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grey's Anatomy: "The End is the Beginning is the End" (OAD: 1/17/13) SPOILERS!

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Graymalkin, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    This thread is inspired by tonight's (1/17/13) episode of Grey's Anatomy, so I'm going to pose some questions and I'm not going to conceal them in spoiler tags.

IF YOU DON'T WANT GREY'S ANATOMY SPOILERS, DO NOT READ!

OK, here goes:

Five doctors sue the hospital and win a $75 million settlement. The insurance company finds a loophole and doesn't have to cover the loss. The hospital has to pay but doesn't have the money. So it decides to declare bankruptcy and close its doors.

Is this something that happens in the real world?

Is this something covered by federal law or state law?

Which Chapter covers a for-profit hospital's bankruptcy?

Where does the winner of the lawsuit stand among the creditors? At the top? At the bottom? Can the bankruptcy court reduce the winning plaintiff's settlement to pennies on the dollar?

2. wedgecon

wedgecon Just Plain Awesome

Dec 28, 2002
    Buena Park, CA
    In the real world the hospital would sue the insurance company and it would be tied up in the courts for years.

The hospital in Grey's Anatomy has never been described as a non profit before, if anything it has been presented as a top tier private hospital.

3. efilippi

efilippi Active Member

Jul 24, 2001
    Mundelein, Il
    I think this addresses where the series will go with this. Bankruptcy is filed, debts are liquidated by the court in some fashion that reduces greatly the amounts the doctors get, and then the hospital can reopen as a new corporate entity, one no longer burdened by the payout decision.

Just guessing.

4. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Good point. I will amend the OP to say "for-profit" rather than "nonprofit".

5. shaown

shaown Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Its not hard to guess the easy "TV" solution - the Doctors will take over the hospital - be paid in equity ownership.

6. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    WTF was that?

7. lew

lew Active Member

Mar 12, 2002
    In the real world the insurance "loophole" would have been discovered earlier. Hospital would have fought it. In the real world a judge would not have issued summary judgement. The charter airline was properly licensed. It is not at all clear why the hospital had to do additional research. The hospital might have lost that at trial but summary judgement? I don't think in the real world they would have all received the same settlement.

8. Lori

Lori Social Defective TCF Club

Feb 20, 2000
    Bowie, MD USA
    Also, no settlement for Mark or Lexie? I'd expect that to go either in trust or to next-of-kin, but no mention of it.

9. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    This is Shondaland, people. You expect reality? ;)

And Grey's Anatomy is the oldest of the three shows currently running. Okay, Private Practice has been cancelled, so it doesn't count. But it wouldn't surprise me if Shonda's off paying more attention to Scandal than anything else.

10. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    I'm NOT expecting reality from Shondaland. Which is why I was asking what WOULD happen in the real world.

11. dthmj

dthmj Hinky TCF Club

Mar 12, 2002
    Texas
    Oh wow... the last few minutes cut off my recording and I had no idea... I guess ignorance really is bliss :)

I loaded up Hulu Plus and watched the last couple of minutes.

I'm guessing since the actors have contracts through 2014 there will be another season - so maybe those doctors will take over ownership of the hospital and keep it open.

12. zalusky

zalusky Active Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    My guess is the doctors get ownership in the hospital rather than a cash payout to keep it running!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD