1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

green / gray screen Tivo HD hangup :(

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by tvmaster2, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Sep 2, 2012 #1 of 16
    tvmaster2

tvmaster2 Active Member

Sep 9, 2006
    all of a sudden, my Tivo HD can't get past the "starting up - welcome" screen. The next thing I see is a solid green/gray screen. Only one light is present on the front panel: the far left-hand light.
    Network connection LED's are glowing on the back panel, and the hard drive is the stock unit - no upgrades have been done.
    It's a "lifetime" box, that's about four-years old I imagine.
    Since it's a lifetime box, it would be nice to save it. Any suggestions?

2. Sep 2, 2012 #2 of 16
    sbourgeo

sbourgeo Hepcat Daddio

Nov 10, 2000
    New England
    I would start with running the manufacturer diagnostic software on the hard disk and looking for bulging capacitors on the power supply.

3. Sep 2, 2012 #3 of 16
    tvmaster2

tvmaster2 Active Member

Sep 9, 2006
    sorry, forgot to mention that this is a Cox Cable Card unit - don't know if that plays into things

4. Sep 2, 2012 #4 of 16
    tvmaster2

tvmaster2 Active Member

Sep 9, 2006
    there don't appear to be any burns on the board that I can see - it's the original WD drive (160) with a Aug 07 manufacture date.
    The drive makes a couple of access clicks when power is applied, and stops responding when the 'Welcome" screen comes up. After that, gray screen

5. Sep 3, 2012 #5 of 16
    tvmaster2

tvmaster2 Active Member

Sep 9, 2006
    I ran the WD diagnostic software, and the stock 160g drive failed both the short and long test (performed the test with the Windows desktop version of the software, as opposed to the dos boot cd version).
    So I guess that's a bad thing?

6. Sep 3, 2012 #6 of 16
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Sounds like the drive has failed. You'll want to pick up a replacement drive, get an appropriate image and restore it using WinMFS. Good opportunity to move up to a 1TB drive to get more space.

Scott

7. Sep 3, 2012 #7 of 16
    tvmaster2

tvmaster2 Active Member

Sep 9, 2006
    I've used Instantcake in the past - so I guess that's still the way to go

8. Sep 3, 2012 #8 of 16
    poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
  9. Sep 3, 2012 #9 of 16
    unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    That screen usually means the motherboard and the hard drive aren't communicating with each other for whatever reason.

When you ran the tests on the drive, what, specifically, did it say was wrong? Did it offer to fix anything?

Do you have any spare hard drives lying around anywhere, or any that you could temporarily move stuff off of and use for a day or three?

And you do not have an external drive hooked up to that TiVo, correct?

10. tvmaster2

tvmaster2 Active Member

Sep 9, 2006
    I ran a quick test and an extended test and they both failed. That's all the WD diagnostics software said: failed.
    I have a few spares, and there's nothing on the dead drive that would be a horror if I lost.

11. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    What size drives do you have availible for temporary duty?

12. azchad

azchad New Member

Jan 14, 2013
    my tivo hd is doing the same thing but i ran hd test and it checked out okay, could it be my power supply? noticed 2 of the small capacitors have bulging tops.. HELP! :)

13. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    That's most likely your problem...

How much money do you have?

Quick, easy, more expensive:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-power-supply.php

Or if you are familiar with a soldering iron, just replace the capacitors. Make sure that you match the specs and that they are low ESR.

14. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If they're bulging, they've already gone bad and the power supply needs fixing before you can intelligently do any other troubleshooting (assuming any is necessary after fixing the power supply)

What part of the country are you in?

Do you have any experience with a soldering iron?

15. azchad

azchad New Member

Jan 14, 2013
    I'm in az and yes I can solder. Now I just have to find the right caps. The smaller 1000uf 10v caps are bulging. Not sure which ones to get?

16. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    You need caps with the same uF rating.

You need caps with the same Voltage rating, but if unavailable, you can go to the next highest one, like say 16V instead of 10V, or if absolutely necessary 25V instead of 10V.

And they absolutely must be Low ESR and rated for 105 degrees (that's celsius/centigrade).

If there's a good repair shop nearby, they may have them in stock.

And if it's a good shop, they'll know what low ESR means and why they're necessary in a switching supply like the TiVo's.

You might even negotiate a good price for them to do the repair.

Otherwise, I think Amazon has somebody selling them, and you can order from Mouser or Digi-Key.

You should be able to get them for from $1 to $2 each.

Read through this thread real quick.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=473394