1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Great News Pilot & E2 "Bear Attack" *spoilers

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by TIVO_GUY_HERE, Apr 26, 2017.

1. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    New show, executive produced by Tina Fey and her partner.

The series, set in the world of television news, follows an up-and-coming news producer who finds herself dealing with a new intern: her mother.

I liked it. I didn't think I would, because a little bit of Andrea Martin can go a loooong way, and she does ham it up a bit, but she is great in this. Even thought Nicole Richie was funny, and Horatio Sanz is good in just about anything he is in.

2. rahnbo

rahnbo Active Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Florida
    Everyone spoke with such a fast cadence that I sort of zoned out. There were far too many words for my slower brain, I guess. I didn't dislike it but hopefully they'll cram less verbiage in future episodes.

3. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    Glad to hear it is decent. Totally in love with Briga Heelan from Ground Floor. Will be good to see her again.

4. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    It felt shallow. But not bad. Let's see where it goes. Both 30 Rock and Parks and Rec started out a bit shaky.

5. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    yah, it took me a while to realize where I knew her from. This was decent, I'll keep watching.. but I did like (the cancelled) Powerless MUCH better.

6. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    Meh. I thought it was a decent pilot, and it earned a second episode. But I thought #2 was too cartoonish, to over-the-edge (for me). The characters are ok, love Briga Heelan (recognized her right away, I really liked Ground Floor). But the writing is just not there.

Will probably maybe give it one more, but it's already slipping over the knife edge.

7. May 5, 2017 #7 of 15
    astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    And I'm... out.

Can't take the mom. Just too in-your-face for me. She would be good in a small supporting role, but as a lead, I get worn out just watching her.

It's too bad, I mostly like it. But I have plenty to watch and no desire to see if this "finds its way".

rahnbo likes this.
  8. rahnbo

rahnbo Active Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Florida
    I couldn't get past the 3rd ep. Shocked it has already been renewed. NBC Renews Great News For Season 2

9. mlsnyc

mlsnyc Active Member TCF Club

Dec 2, 2009
    Glad it's renewed. I'm enjoying it so far. It's definitely got the 30 Rock and Kimmy Schmidt vibe, though it's not quite at the level of those shows yet. Though it's been a while since I started those shows so I can't say for certain how I'd stack them up at the same point in their respective runs.

10. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    I watched some of this week's episode, because I really like Briga Heelan. I lasted about five minutes before the mom just overwhelmed me again.

I'm sure it was renewed because it's a Tina Fey production. Otherwise there is no way this comes back next season. It's not even getting a 1.0 demo. It lost 25% of its viewers from the first 1/2 hour to the second. Even Imaginary Mary is beating it, both in viewers and demo. And IM was just cancelled. I get that NBC wants to support Tina, but at the expense of eyeballs?

11. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Wow, that's very surprising to me. I think this show is *vaguely* funny, and I like the cast.. But a whole lot of far far far better shows (including on other networks) have been cancelled this season. At the moment, this is on the edge, and mostly I'm recording it because we're very close to the end of the season so I'll finally be able to start eating into the backlog of shows I've recorded.

12. getbak

getbak Active Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    NBC has a history of giving questionable renewals to midseason shows that weren't all that good to start and then having those shows become strong shows for them as the actors and writers figured out the best way to make the characters work.

Parks & Rec and The Office are the two most-obvious recent examples of shows that had weak early episodes that became some of the best shows on TV. 30 Rock wasn't a midseason show, but it also had a weak first 6 episodes.

I hope the reason this got renewed is that NBC sees similar growth potential for it.

13. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I watched the Pilot and I thought the show was terrible. The Mom is just too much. I'm a fan of most of what Tina does, but everyone has a dud.

14. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I started watching this show this week and have caught up on all episodes. I find this show pretty funny. I thought I'd heard the show was cancelled, but I see I was wrong. A season 2 has been announced.

15. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I did think it was funny that Andrea Martin is playing a 60 year old.. I knew she was much older (IIRC 70, I looked it up the other day).