1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Great Mini Experience

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by tsheley, Jan 16, 2014.

1. tsheley

tsheley New Member

Oct 12, 2007
    I am sure nobody probably cares but I wanted to say I purchased a Mini last night to go with my Roamio Basic and it is great! Set up was a breeze. Just went online activated the Mini waited 15 minutes and everything was ready to go. I use Ethernet and it works great. Total time of setup probably 45 minutes because the Mini had to do an update.

Just wanted to share a positive experience since sometimes all the post seem like there are nothing but problems.

Thanks,

2. geekmedic

geekmedic TiVo Fanatic TCF Club

Apr 4, 2003
    Atlanta, GA USA
    I've also had very positive experiences with my 6 Minis. Thinking of buying 2 more (one for the exercise room, one for our storm shelter because cable is now moving everything to digital).

What's the limit on the number of Minis you can have connected to a Roamio Pro? I realize only 5 can be active at one time.

3. jntc

jntc New Member

Dec 5, 2013
    I was told 9 by Tivo support.

4. JohnnyO

JohnnyO Crimper

Nov 3, 2002
    Twin...
    I too, just activated my first Mini to go with my 3 month old Roamio. Piece of cake. I'm also on wired Ethernet. Watching recorded shows, watching a live stream for 30 minutes, Pandora, Netflix -- all working as expected.

5. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    I'm not sure there's a hard limit of 5 at once; you can only have 5 live-tv tuners on the Minis at once, but if some are streaming recorded shows, the live-tv limit doesn't apply.

6. geekmedic

geekmedic TiVo Fanatic TCF Club

Apr 4, 2003
    Atlanta, GA USA
    You're probably right. How many streams can go simultaneously though (with the bandwidth)? I've tried 5 live streams with another live on the Roamio Pro, but haven't tried taxing the system with prerecorded plus live streams. Maybe I'll have a project to do when I get a minute. :)

7. DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Jupiter, FL
    I believe the max number of streams is 8.

8. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    From the Mini Frequently Asked Questions here --> https://tivo.com/shop/mini

9. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I believe the actual limit is 9. TiVo has a limit of a 10 devices per account. So you should be able to have 1 TiVo and 9 Minis. I believe that FAQ says 8 because they were leaving one slot open for a Stream. But if you have a Roamio Plus/Pro the Stream is internal so it doesn't count toward your limit.

I think someone posted once that TiVo doesn't actually cut you off at 10 devices either. But if you have more then 10 you get wonky results where devices will claim they're not authorized and it's random based on the order they each make their daily call, or something like that.

10. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    TiVo does not want you to set up a motel using Minis for TV tuners for each room !!

11. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Wouldn't really work anyway since the maximum tuners in a single Roamio is 6 and only 5 could be used for Minis. So to ensure every room has access to TV you'd need one Roamio for every 5 TVs. At that point you might as well set them up on different accounts.

The main reason for the limit is the MSD pricing. They don't want a bunch of friends and family sharing a single account to get the discount. They want to limit it to one account per household.

12. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    But that easy to do now, if I have a MSD TiVo account I could activate my friends new first TiVo, than xfer that TiVo to him, or tell him to use the PLSR code.

13. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Obviously there is a loophole for lifetime, but not for monthly MSD

14. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    If someone wants to pay monthly in place of Lifetime they don't need any loophole !!

15. jwbelcher

jwbelcher New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    I've read in an older post that inactive devices (sold or returned) count toward the account cap. I would assume this would also effect the number of mini's that can be hooked up. Any truth to this?

16. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    NO! I have 16 old or sold units on my TiVo account and 5 more units that are active on my account (for a total of 21 TiVos) (when I go to device preferences I see only the 5 active TiVos)

17. jwbelcher

jwbelcher New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
  18. gweempose

gweempose Active Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    On the contrary, it's quite refreshing to hear something positive on these boards every once in a while. I'm glad you're enjoying your new Mini. I have two that have been rock solid, and I just ordered a third one yesterday. I wish you could run apps like streambaby on them, but other than that, I have no complaints. :)

19. Luckyluc

Luckyluc New Member

Jan 24, 2014
    I am leaning more and more to a mini... these help a lot as I review my options.

20. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    MSD gives someone a $2/mo discount. The reason there is a 10 device limit is to prevent one account from being used to service a bunch of different TiVos and getting that discount on all of them. This policy was put into place years ago when TiVos still only had 1 tuner so 10 was a reasonable ceiling for one household. (I had 6 at one point) The Mini doesn't use the same pricing scheme, but because it uses the same encryption/sharing system it's still limited to the 10 device limit.