1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Great experience switching from Comcast to Fios

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by cmshep222, Jul 17, 2009.

1. cmshep222

cmshep222 Member

Feb 18, 2005
    The switch to Fios (from Comcast) could not have gone smoother. Fios guy installs everything (doing triple play). Pop my Comcast CableCard out....rerun guided set-up on my Tivo HD...Verizon pairs my host ID with the Fios CableCard. Done!

Best thing of all...all my Season Passes were automatically re-mapped to the Fios channels. I wasn't expecting that, I thought I'd have to reset all of them up. Awesome!

About as seamless transition as anyone could wish for.

2. 20TIL6

20TIL6 BaDoop BaDoop BaDoop

Sep 7, 2006
    Cypress, TX
    I wish FiOS was offering service in my area.

3. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man-also

Sep 14, 2003
    Northern...
    I had the same great experience here back in December switching from Comcast to FiOS.

4. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    When I set up my OTA-only S3 with CableCARD it kept the existing Season Passes as real, too.

I was surprised when the TiVo started making recording before I added a single season pass.

5. rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
    It works using the station ID - i.e. WCBSDT, KABCDT, etc. The actual numbers don't matter which is why it works when changing providers.

6. cmshep222

cmshep222 Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Yes, it must be Station "call letters" like WTVRDT for CBS. The channel numbers on Comcast are not the same as Fios.

7. fallingwater

fallingwater New Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Bellingham WA
    Do you know if the installer removed your copper connection, or did you tell him to leave it in place?

8. philhu

philhu User Since Day ONE!

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, MA
    Same here. Perfect experience, moved all my passes, etc....

No, my FiOS guy left my copper although I heard they want to remove it becuase copper is soooo expensive right now

9. cmshep222

cmshep222 Member

Feb 18, 2005
    The new Fios box on the side of the house was placed next to the old Verizon "traditional landline" phone interface. The new Fios box taps into the existing phone network in my house (via the old Verizon "traditional" phone interface on the side of my house) and hence works like a traditional landline. Obviously, I know it's not a traditional landline. But it acts like one.

Is that what you meant by leaving my "copper connecton"?

10. rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
    Verizon leaves the existing copper strung from the street to the house in the event you ever need to revert back to a non-FIOS (i.e. POTS - Plain Old Telephone Service) phone service.

FIOS uses your existing twisted pair wiring inside the house. No special equipment is necessary other than the ONT (Optical network Interface) which provides the drop for phone, Internet and TV. Inside the premises, Internet is delivered via either coax or Cat-5 and TV is delivered via coax.

The nice thing about coax Internet is it's implemented with MoCa so you can use NIMs to provide wired Internet to locations in the house where no CAT-5 runs exist. Sweet.

11. moonscape

moonscape Member

Jul 3, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    I hate you. That's all.

12. dcollens

dcollens New Member

Mar 12, 2002
    I just received a note on my door that Verizon will soon be burying fiber to our 'hood soon (outback of Vienna, VA).

I can't wait and will be one of the first to leave Cox for FIOS.

Glad to hear that the experience was good. I have a friend who didn't have such a great go of it the first time he tried, but that was in the early days when they didn't have their dispatch problems worked out.

Here's hoping that it comes soon.

dc

13. swinca

swinca Menace to society

Jun 19, 2003
    Jaw-ja y'all

Me too. Or U-verse.

14. Squeege96

Squeege96 New Member

May 1, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    I am glad to hear that things went smoothly. I just made the switch myself, and the installation went great. However, the Verizon Business office is another story.

Based on their website, if I ordered online, I would receive an additional $5 off per month. Saving $60 over the course of the year sounded pretty good, so I went through the online signup. Unfortunately, when it comes to choosing equipment, Cable Cards are NOT an option. I clicked on their live help, and was told to order 4 cable boxes instead, then call and tell them to change the order to cablecards. Well, I did as I was told....and got the biggest headache ever. After several follow up calls, my installation was cancelled the night before it was supposed to happen. Unfortunately, no one told the installer (who was great, BTW.) He did all the leg work, setting up the new FiOS box and battery backup, but when it came time to active, the system showed a cancelled order, and he had to UNDO all that he did.

While the experience with the Bus office wasn't what I was hoping for, I am now saving $70 per month, received a $150 gift card, and 2x as many HD channels, and killer download speeds. Definitely worth it.:up:

15. rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
    If you're looking to use a Series 3 (HD) model TiVo with U-verse don't hold your breath. U-verse delivers IPTV which was not compatible with CABLECards last time I checked.

16. jstrazz

jstrazz Jstrazz

Jan 20, 2007
    Fort...
    I do too! Just switched to satellite and I'm now learning of horror stories involving billing practices and programming practices with regard to their HD sports offerings. I use my TiVo Series 3 for OTA only with a separate DVR for satellite. FIOS would allow me to use my TiVo for everything again.

17. cmshep222

cmshep222 Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Squeege96,

I had the exact same thing happen with ordering. I just ordered an HD Box online.

But my experience was better after that.

The installer called me the morning of the install to verify my order. I told him I'd like a CableCard instead of the HD Box. He balked at first...but I nicely said "please"? He said he'd call me back in a few minutes to let me know about the Cablecard. Called me back 5 minutes later and said "you're good, I got your cableCard".

My installer was AWESOME.

18. rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
    The 2 installers I had were top-shelf as well. They also enjoyed the beer I provided so much they both dropped a couple NIM-100's on me. Now that's awesome :D

19. fallingwater

fallingwater New Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Bellingham WA
    I was referring to the actual wiring to the old Verizon interface.

Right now FIOS isn't available in my area. Verizon serves a large area in the county with wired telephone service and Quest supplies wired telephone service in town. Both offer DSL internet and a combination billing link to DirecTV service for TV. Cellphone service is available from several providers. There's even a wireless, moderately high speed internet service based on cellphone technology in town. Dishnetwork and DirecTV are available as standalone TV services. Comcast offers cable broadband service for internet, TV, and telephone everywhere in the county (except a couple of relatively isolated places.)

All of these (except Verizon and Quest at the same address) are available and compete with each other. When/if FIOS becomes available I'll check into it. But I wouldn't consider it unless the copper connections stayed in place. Currently we use Comcast for cable, phone, and internet and don't use the Quest copper connection. But I'm glad it's there.

Comcast and Verizon offer competing services, both in quality and price. I want that choice and won't allow myself to be manipulated into something new just because it's new. If Comcast was cheaper and FIOS had better quality I don't know which I'd choose; it'd depend on how big the differences were. I'm not unhappy with Comcast right now.

20. Phantom Gremlin

Phantom Gremlin New Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Tualatin,...
    I think they're supposed to leave the existing copper strung. However, there have been occasional reports that they don't. Verizon really, really, really wants you to keep using the fiber; it's more reliable and they are (probably) allowed a greater rate of return (and many years of depreciation). So "mistakes" sometimes happen. I'm sure they can just blame it on overzealous "craft" people, rather than it being an official company policy.