1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Google TV and Roamio

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by mdm08033, Oct 31, 2013.

1. mdm08033

mdm08033 Member

Apr 23, 2007
    Haddonfield,...
    Greetings from Philadelphia.

I cut the cord about two years ago. I started with a Sony Blu-ray player for streaming apps. Next came the Premiere and a roof top antenna. Next I improved the streaming experience with a Roku 2XS. Last week I upgraded to a Roamio.

All of my sources are routed through a Pioneer HDMI 5.1 receiver, so the wife and kids must switch between inputs for the Roku and TiVo.

I am looking at replacing the Roku with a Google TV to simplify the streaming. Has anyone played with running their TiVo through a Google TV?

Cheers, Michael

2. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I did what you are talking about with a the Logitech's Revue (which is a google TV device) but that device wasn't very useful. I haven't used any of the newer ones from other companies but my Roku is a significant step up from the Revue. Frankly I would save your money and stick with what you have or upgrade to a Roku 3.

3. John McKee

John McKee Free

Jan 22, 2000
    Dallas, TX...
    I use one but now that the Roamio has a DAIL YouTube and Netflix I only use it for Airplay and occasionally streaming flash video. It works fine but it probably isn't worth the money if you have a Roamio, the Roku which I also have is a better streaming device in general.

4. mdm08033

mdm08033 Member

Apr 23, 2007
    Haddonfield,...
    I could put the Roku out to pasture if Roamio would stream HBO Go, Amazon Prime and PBS.

5. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Best we can say is Maybe. Once the Opera App store is deployed we will see what kind of content is available.

I am coutiously optimistic, simply because the platform scale for content is now much larger then just the TiVo platform.

6. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    I have my TiVo running through a Sony GS7 GoogleTV box and it works fine....for what it is. The only thing it seems I ever use it for is its Slingbox app. I also have a ps3 and the TiVo there so those are used for Netflix, Amazon, Vudu etc. I only paid $99 for it but I still question it's value. I still wonder if I should've just bought another wdtv live for the sling app for consistency. The remote is awesome though. I hear it can be used with your PC, so that's a plus! :D

7. wickerbill

wickerbill Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    My logitech revue was one of the worst gadgets I've purchased in years. Roku is miles better for streaming. I would recommend not wasting your money on a google tv. Google hasn't done much for the platform in the two years it has been out and I wouldn't be surprised if they totally cancelled it and focused more on the chromecast.