1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Google launches Kansas City fiber net, intros Google Fiber TV

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Johncv, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Johncv

Johncv Active Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Chula Vista, CA
  2. celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005
    I wish i lived in KC!,WOW hundreds of HD 1080P, channels on fiber!,RECORD 8 SHOWS AT A TIME!1000 mpbs internet,for $120.00 a month,and if you dont want that you pay for internet at $25.00 a month for 12 months and get 6 years FREE INTERNET(1up) (5 down),also with their tv/internet package you get a free nexus7 tablet! on the tv package they only offer 1 tier pricing,the only thing you pay extra for is the premium channels.I wish google would buy verizon fios and tivo and incorate all this together! the pressures on tivo ,time to make a DVR that can rcord at least 8 channels at once!!!:eek:

3. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I wonder how much they will be losing with those ultra low prices?

What about phone service? I didn't see them mention anything about phone service. That seemed odd in this day and age. It's what made Comcast the nations third largest home phone service provider.

4. tneison

tneison New Member

Jul 15, 2012
    First time ever I have been jealous of KC. 1Gbps is ridiculous.

5. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Yes, that puts to shame the 150/65 tier I'm upgrading to on FiOS.

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner

6. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    It does but I do wonder if the average consumer would ever even push past 150. To get to 1,000Mbps, it would be hard to even stress test that it is so much :)

Having 1000Mbps upload is just crazy though.

7. Johncv

Johncv Active Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Chula Vista, CA
    You made the same mistake the others had reading that article. Google, for now, have NO plane to expand this. They want other to do it: “in a move it hopes will push the broadband and paid TV industries to deploy speedier networks at a lower cost.“ This may give Tivo the advantage, the pressures will be on the “other” providers They may end up having to work with TiVo. If you have a “job” that let you work from home I don’t think you want to move, it 10 degree below in the winter (Winter is coming! :D) and a 100 or higher in summer.

What I need is anyone from KC who can sign up for this is to post anything they can.

8. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Yes those are some crazy speeds. The only reason I'm upgrading to the 150/65 tier on FiOS is for the upload speeds since I recently started using alot more cloud storage. (And I keep bumping up against the 37Mb/s limit when I upload data) That is the first tier with faster upload speeds than my current tier. If they would have offered something like a 65/65 tier I would have preferred to have upgraded to that instead.

9. spidershowl11

spidershowl11 New Member

Jul 25, 2012
    I hope that Google branches out to other parts of America that lack fiber lines. They should be spreading fiber to all parts of the country. I think the US military is already using the fibre technology.

10. Johncv

Johncv Active Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Chula Vista, CA
  11. celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005
    can someone tell me how much the 150/65 speed cost on fios?

12. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    No idea what it is separately but my total price, bundled with Digital voice and Ultimate HD TV, is $150(plus taxes).

EDIT: I just checked on the website. 150/65 as a stand alone service with a two year contract is $100 in my area.
    While the 300/65 service is $210.

WOW they really charge alot for internet when unbundled. 75/35 is $90, 50/25 is $80, 15/5 is $70 and 3/1 is a whopping $60:eek:

13. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Keep on dreamin' The only cable TV provider within 50 miles of my location is TWC and they only run fiber to substations that serve areas of many square miles. If you want to invest a few $Billion and have a good business plan I'm sure a fiber-into-the-home system could be done. You will have to deal with numerous local franchising entities and, unless you want to recreate an entire system (which includes a lot more than just running fiber), you will have to team up with TWC. I'm in a metro area of about 800K population, so this isn't a just a "rural" problem.

Easy to say "they should ..." Eventually fiber-into-the-home should and will happen, but the time before most homes can get it will be measured in decades. It will be a this long before the business model makes sense in areas like mine already served by coax systems.

14. SWFan

SWFan Active Member

Oct 6, 2002
    Kansas...
    I'm in KC, but I'm not in their covered area. Phase I is just covering the core part of Kansas City, MO and the core part of Kansas City, KS. I live in KCMO proper, but north of downtown which crosses a major river. Unfortunately for phase I they are no including any neighborhoods north of the river. According to their website there will be a phase II that supposedly will expand the service to the northern and southern parts of the city. My guess is I won't see that until 2014 or 2015.

Oddly, I received a flyer in the mail from Google advertising their fiber service, even though I can't get it for the foreseeable future.

Google rented some space in a mid-town entertainment district to showcase the service. Its been jam-packed with people since it opened.

15. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Well I live about 1/2 mile from the end of the cable line (about 1 mile from my local village) and have been told by TWC not to expect to get cable in my lifetime (I am 54 & have lived here longer than cable has been in my town) and we are part of a 1.2 million person MSA. Lucky for me I can get DSL.

The reality is that a large number of people will never see fiber and the only way that is going to change is if the Government mandates it. The only reason some of us have hard wired telephone is because by law they have to provide it and that may change as the telcos are quietly trying to change that law.