1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Google Cast Support

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by mjcxp, Dec 12, 2013.

1. mjcxp

mjcxp Member

Nov 22, 2013
    Does the Tivo Roamio support google cast? I am able to cast youtube videos from my iPhone or my Macbook Pro after entering the code at youtube.com/pair. But when I try to cast a tab in chrome the Tivo is not listed as a cast device. Anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks.

2. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Yes, for YouTube & Netflix iOS Apps I can choose to play on my Roamio Pro.

3. Philmatic

Philmatic Member

Sep 17, 2003
    He's asking about Tab Casting... unfortunately, that is a Google Exclusive extension to the DIAL protocol that requires a ChromeCast device. The only two apps that support the Casting feature are Netflix and YouTube on iOS and Android.

4. mjcxp

mjcxp Member

Nov 22, 2013
    Thanks for the clarification. Hopefully Tivo will implement this feature in a future update.

5. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    That will most likely never be possible. While DIAL is open, the Google Cast implementation is not. So more apps could support DIAL on the TiVo but it will require an HTML5 app installed on the TiVo that is DIAL compatible.

6. mjcxp

mjcxp Member

Nov 22, 2013
    So Google would need to develop a chrome type app for Tivo for this to work? I doubt Google would waste their resources to develop this type of app for such a small client base.

7. Philmatic

Philmatic Member

Sep 17, 2003
    Yes, or let TiVo develop it.

8. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It wouldn't be that difficult to simulate. They're basically just capturing the screen to an H.264 video and then playing it via HTML5 video player. Moyekj has already shown via kmttg that you van create a simple HTML page to play a local video, so TiVo could write their own extension to capture the screen to video and then play that back. The biggest issue would be the codec licensing. I wonder if we could do this as a community project using FFmpeg?

9. mike-d

mike-d New Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Baltimore,...
    My roamio showed up as a cast device on my ipad youtube app, for a while. Now it does not show up. I have re-booted everything. How can I get it back? When I call TIVO, there is a 90% chance the support rep has never heard of DIAL, Casting, etc... Can anyone assist? thx

10. GrillMouster

GrillMouster New Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Is anyone else able to cast Netflix to their TiVo from the Netflix player within the Chrome desktop browser? Just for clarification, I am NOT talking about tab casting (which is an feature that's accessible from the Google Cast icon that's in the upper right-hand corner of the browser's navigation bar). I'm talking about the Chromecast button that appears in the lower right-hand corner of the Netflix video player, next to the other Netflix player controls.

I'm able to cast Netflix to both my TiVo and TiVo mini from the Netflix app on both my phone and my tablet. However, neither of the TiVo units appear when I attempt to cast from the Netflix player in the desktop browser, as I described above. The only device that appears on the desktop Netflix player is the official Chromecast dongle.

What's strange is that I can cast YouTube from the desktop player to both TiVo units, so the TiVo units are definitely recognized on the network.