1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Glitching from TiVo Slide Remote

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by rijowysock, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Feb 1, 2011 #1 of 172
    rijowysock

rijowysock New Member

Nov 6, 2010
    Wondering if my remote or something thats usual for a remote over "bluetooth".

when watching a show i kick FFW, and then see the show and 80% of the time i click play to resume the show and it does not respond, after a few seconds and a couple hundred clicks it finally starts to play..

i re sync'ed it with the dongle, i have the dongle out in the open and easy to read...

i do the same thing with iPad and doesn't ever studder, the same with standard remote and doesn't studder...

is my slide remote messed up, or is their something else going on (does having bluetooth dongle close to wifi router/other electronics mess up the signal reception at all?

i tried the "tivo+thumbs down" to turn off the backlight as some said it has odd effects but the damn remote still lights up when i click buttons (and yes i got the triple blue light to say the backlight has turned off)

not sure whats what, sick of waiting on hold with TiVo.

2. Feb 2, 2011 #2 of 172
    Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Active Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    I had some issues with delayed button presses with mine. Using the extender cable that came with the dongle and putting in a fresh set of batteries seems to have cleared those issues up.

3. Feb 2, 2011 #3 of 172
    rijowysock

rijowysock New Member

Nov 6, 2010
    fresh set cured it for like 15 minutes, the batteries were at 86% prior to swapping..

seems like its problematic for many then i guess :-/

4. Feb 2, 2011 #4 of 172
    DeWitt

DeWitt New Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Summit, NJ
    Wireless routers in the 2.5 band have been known to interfere with bluetooth.

I have never seen slow button presses on mine and I am still using the original batteries.

5. Feb 2, 2011 #5 of 172
    crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    I had ZERO such problems with the slide remote until immediately after the 14.7 update. Now I experience what you describe about 50% of the time.

6. Feb 3, 2011 #6 of 172
    rogmatic

rogmatic New Member

Sep 17, 2009
    I am having the same issues with the slide. I ended up unplugging the toggle because I got sick of the unresponsiveness. I haven't tried the extender though - maybe I will give that a try.

7. Feb 3, 2011 #7 of 172
    crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Although it is nice to have that option, I don't WANT to use it optically. The whole point of the slide remote, other than the keyboard, is the bluetooth- I don't have to aim it and it is faster. In my case, I never had a SINGLE problem with the Slide, month after month, until the TiVo was updated to 14.7. After hearing others' posts, I find it hard to believe it is just a random coincidence.

8. Feb 3, 2011 #8 of 172
    deandashl

deandashl New Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Don't blame the TiVo Slide Remote. I've got it and it works pretty good. Occasionally, a key press doesn't register, but NOTHING like you guys are talking.

But, then, I have a HD XL.

I think 14.7 is a dud for you guys.

I'll tell ya. It's gotta be tough being a TiVo Premiere owner. So much potential.....

9. Feb 3, 2011 #9 of 172
    rijowysock

rijowysock New Member

Nov 6, 2010
    YES, since the update..

any thoughts anyone?

10. Feb 3, 2011 #10 of 172
    rijowysock

rijowysock New Member

Nov 6, 2010
    im going to try a hard reboot of the system as i havent done once since the update.... and then maybe call Tivo....

really frustrating, as it goes like 2 mins past where i want to play then i have to rewind and press play again, FFW is the ONLY button thats glitching... no others.

again ipad and regular optical remote works fine but i need the bluetooth for my application as the TiVo is not located anywhere near the TV... just TV on the wall and tivo off in a sep location hidden.

11. Feb 3, 2011 #11 of 172
    rijowysock

rijowysock New Member

Nov 6, 2010
    TiVo said to reboot with the USB disconnected in the back of the TiVo and then connect after... ill try when i have some time without recordings.

12. Feb 3, 2011 #12 of 172
    crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    I think that is only the solution for the problem after 14.7 where the TiVo will not successfully boot when the dongle is plugged in. But please let us know if it makes any difference!

These bugs are just unreal.

13. Feb 4, 2011 #13 of 172
    rogmatic

rogmatic New Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Yes, it took me about two days to realize that I was unable to reboot with the doggle plugged in - it just got stuck at the welcome screen until I unplugged the doggle.

14. Feb 4, 2011 #14 of 172
    DeWitt

DeWitt New Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Summit, NJ
    Huh! My PXL is on 14.7 and reboots fine with the dongle in place.....

15. Feb 4, 2011 #15 of 172
    rijowysock

rijowysock New Member

Nov 6, 2010
    she said when it boots with the dongle it does something weird with the setup, i did it first time and unplugged the tuning adapter by accident, did it again with the dongle extension and everything is working fine.. fluke or not... we'll see... ill use it more today and report back.

16. Feb 4, 2011 #16 of 172
    rijowysock

rijowysock New Member

Nov 6, 2010
    mine boots fine with dongle, takes a while but always takes a while...

17. Feb 4, 2011 #17 of 172
    joejet

joejet New Member

Mar 19, 2008

I was also told to reboot with dongle unplugged. I did it, still doesnt work properly (lag, non-responsive)

18. Feb 4, 2011 #18 of 172
    rijowysock

rijowysock New Member

Nov 6, 2010
    not working again, WTF

19. Feb 5, 2011 #19 of 172
    rijowysock

rijowysock New Member

Nov 6, 2010
    read above how 2.5 affects bluetooth, googled and found 2.4ghz wireless affects bluetooth when on the B network..

changed my router to 5ghz only (n) still problems, changed to 5ghz N+a, still problems.. back to 2.4+5ghz a/b/g/n and still problems..

no problems on IR, only on bluetooth... wireless doesnt affect it..

only glitch is on FFW and Play keys however.

20. Feb 5, 2011 #20 of 172
    KillTheGrimace

KillTheGrimace New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Portland OR
    We bought two slide remotes at full price from TiVo.com when I first learned about them months ago. Both worked great for about a week. One stopped working entirely and would never re-pair with the TiVo again (it would blink blue twice and stop before you could initiate pairing on the TiVo). The other one started glitching like crazy; you had to press the button dozens of times to get anything out of it, then suddenly it would "stick" button presses so you could never select the program you wanted to see.

Both work fine as "IR-only" but of course you can't use the keyboards that way, which is the reason we bought them. I have run through TiVo's complete set of troubleshooting steps several times with no joy. Really disappointing.