1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Glee "Goodbye" 5/22/12

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Neenahboy, May 23, 2012.

1. Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier TCF Club

Apr 7, 2004
    Arlington, VA
    It ended the way it had to with regard to Rachel and Finn, but I really wish they'd stop screwing with the Kurt character. He and Rachel belong in New York, and his rejection is just nonsensical. :thumbsdown:

2. TriBruin

TriBruin Active Member TCF Club

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL
    I really liked this episode. I was a little surprised that Kurt did not make it in to NYADA (but Racheal did). I liked that we got some callbacks to the beginning: The original Glee Club singing "Sit Down Your Rockin' the Boat" and (LOL!) Burt singing "Single Ladies"!

We got to see a lot of closure tonight (and some open endings), but what about Mercedes and Mike Chang? They never got their chance to wrap up their story line.

3. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    This wasn't quite up to the level of some of the more recent episodes for me, but still OK.

My biggest gripe was with the commencement ceremony. I wish they didn't have to turn the whole thing into a New Directions performance. I would have preferred had they interweaved the performance with scenes of a more traditional ceremony. Plus, yes, this is Glee, so the show is about them, but I wouldn't have minded some tacit acknowledgement that yes, there are other students going to McKinley High... read off some non-glee kid names.

I too enjoyed the callbacks to the early days, the "Sit Down You're Rockin' The Boat" and "Single Ladies." (I loved the amused yet horrified look on Kurt's face during that!) They should've found some way to at least insert a bar or two of "Don't Stop Believin'" somewhere in this episode as well, since that's how it all started.

I am still enjoying the Sue the softy. It'll be interesting to see what they do next season with her character, especially since (casting spoiler for next season)
    I'm pretty sure NeNe Leakes isn't returning. She is over on NBC's "The New Normal.")
    If you want a character they keep screwing with, it's not Kurt - it's his stepbrother, Finn. I mean, the guy has been seriously psychologically messed up dealing with learning more about his dad. They finally get him to a better place, deciding to do something with his life, and he gets the girl. Now, he doesn't get into The Actor's Studio (not surprising, really), doesn't get to go to NY, doesn't get Rachel, and decides to go into the army because of his dad.

I'm a little troubled by some of what I've read Ryan Murphy says is coming for next season. I'm hoping that this is like a lot of what Ryan Murphy says... complete nonsense.

4. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    I thought that as well, but I know that if they were to do that, there would be screams of, "Why did they waste our time with these non-New Directions students that just took time away from the other storylines?"

Sue was a "softy" at the end of Season 1 - Figgins was just about to disband Glee Club by cutting its budget when Sue threatened him somehow. Of course, by the end of the Season 2 premiere, she was right back to "I hate Shuster and will try to get Glee Club closed," totally forgetting that she's the only reason it was still there in the first place.

What Mercedes and Mike story lines? And speaking of story lines, did they ever say where Puck was headed? If he's still headed out to LA, he and Mercedes can be a separate storyline within the show. As for Mike, I wouldn't be surprised to see Harry in the "Bombshell" chorus on Smash next season.

So let me see if I have this straight:
    Rachel - NYADA
    Kurt - not sure, but probably NY (but not NYADA, at least not yet)
    Santana - apparently going to New York
    Finn - he may or may not be in the Army (he never actually said that he had enlisted yet), although it's possible that they transfer him from Fort Benning to, say, Fort Harrison in Brooklyn
    Mercedes - in LA, as a backup singer for an independent record label, and taking extension classes at UCLA
    Puck - ?
    Mike - going to the Joffrey Academy of Dance in Chicago
    Brittany - fifth-year (so far) senior

5. TriBruin

TriBruin Active Member TCF Club

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL
    You forgot:

Quinn - Attending Yale

Speaking of Quinn, what was the deal with Quinn & Puck? Was she trying to start a relationship with him or just closing the door on that part of her life with forgiveness?

6. Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier TCF Club

Apr 7, 2004
    Arlington, VA
    I haven't seen that...have any links?

Finn is a master of self-sabotage, and he'll do ANYTHING to avoid being happy. There's no reason he can't follow Rachel to NYC, work for a year while honing his applications, attend a bunch of open calls, and maybe land a couple off-off-off Broadway parts. I'm surprised they didn't have Burt step up in his capacity as a congressman to help solve the thing with his father, because it feels like an unnecessary distraction.

I just don't get the creative direction of this show any more. But then, I'm one of those people that feels the decision to abandon the NYC spinoff with Rachel, Kurt and Finn was absurd.

7. Azlen

Azlen Active Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    Next year could be a real mess if they try to split stories between the new New Directions and the graduates. I think they would have been better off with a spin off or just focus on the Glee club with maybe guest star episode from the graduates here and there, but to try to cram it all in one show seems too much.

8. DavidTigerFan

DavidTigerFan No, not Detroit. TCF Club

Aug 18, 2001
    Charleston, SC
    I think what pisses me off the most about the show is that they seem to just create drama out of no where. Last week with Beast being abused by cooter. Where was that even HINTED at before? It's like the writers have nothing left to write with current material so they just make up some BS plot point that's self contained within the episode.

9. Drewster

Drewster Shooting blanks

Oct 26, 2000
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Ah, the Marti Nixon effect.

-Andrew

10. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Noxon. And yeah... I know Joss is all defensive of her, or at least was when Buffy was still on, but I think she's not particularly a good writer (to put it mildly). I personally believe that she singlehandedly screwed up season 7 of Buffy.

11. TheMerk

TheMerk Always Bid First

Feb 26, 2001
    Salt Lake...
    No, it wasn't hinted at, because it was a major plot point a few episodes ago.

12. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Bieste.

Yeah, it was a huge portion of "Choke."

13. That Don Guy

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    I think the problem with the spinoff is, what room is left for dramas? Okay, Fox's recent track record with dramas isn't spectacular, but you could have said the same thing about comedies a few years ago.

You could also ask when Fox would air it, assuming it would air along with Glee in a two-hour block, but I don't think Fox wants to air them on Mondays (overlap with Dancing With the Stars?), Tuesday seems to be "anchored" by New Girl now, and Wednesday and Thursday are X Factor / Idol.

Here's a thought: set one half-hour of each Glee episode in Lima, and the other in New York - spinoff in everything but name.

14. markz

markz Hilarity Ensues

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    I read that they will alternate episodes. One full episode in Lima and one full episode in NYC, etc.

15. Lori

Lori Social Defective TCF Club

Feb 20, 2000
    Bowie, MD USA
    Ryan Murphy said that he will find something for everyone to do next year, as long as they want to come back.

So maybe we haven't seen the last of Puck, Quinn or Mercedes. :)

He did say that he couldn't promise everyone 22 episodes, but that everyone had a job as long as they want one.

16. martinp13

martinp13 YHTBMABIITY

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    I came about |---| that far from boohooing on that last song... I wasn't familiar with it, but it was awesome. I'm such a softy for crescendo songs.

17. That Don Guy

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    The only problem with that is, a lot of fans will be expecting "New Directions" songs in every episode, which is hard to do if they're only in half of them.

18. sushikitten

sushikitten 143 down, ??? to go! TCF Club

Jan 27, 2005
    DC-ish Suburbia
    I've mostly enjoyed this show, but it might be time to give it up. Or at least save up the new recordings until there's a consensus if next season sucks or not.

That said, I'll likely tune in to The Glee Project again which starts June 5.

19. Drewster

Drewster Shooting blanks

Oct 26, 2000
    Costa Mesa, CA
    I have long felt this show won't be long-lived. I'll be surprised if it goes past four seasons.

20. That Don Guy

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    And if it does, where does it go?

As I like to say, the show would probably have to pull a 21 Jump Street and move the show to college - i.e. have the rest of the students graduate and go to Lima University, along with Will and Sue after McKinley burns down in (all together now:) "a cheerleading accident gone horribly, horribly wrong."