1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Glee "Britney 2.0" (9/20/2012, Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by LoadStar, Sep 20, 2012.

1. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I did not love that episode. Of course, that's partially because frankly Brittany irritates the hell out of me, even when they use her a little bit for comedy purposes. When they do a whole episode around her? Nails on chalkboard. (I'd have been more OK with her on this show if they would have just made her a little naive, instead of dumb as a box of rocks.)

Um... really, the Christian character singing "3," a song that is pretty blatantly about a menage a trois? Catchy song, but that whole thing was really awkward.

I think there was just a few too many plot lines flying around this episode... the whole Rachel-Cassandra thing, the Rachel-Brody thing, the Jake plotline, the Jake-Marley thing, and all of that going on along with Brittany's issues... not to mention 8 songs? Too much, waaaaay too much.

2. MarkofT

MarkofT ****

Jul 27, 2001
    The Tall City
    I thought it was quite good. The fast pacing didn't let the writers dwell on things and screw it up. I seem to think that early episodes were fast paced as well.

3. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I don't think fast paced is the best description for what we saw, because there was no pacing. It was literally about 10 different plot idea that they sort of hinted at between songs. I wouldn't even go so far as to call them actual plots.... they were at best allusions to the remote idea of a hint of a plot.

I think this episode really started to show the problem of combining a cast of thousands with a weak writing staff. The writing staff tries to find reasons for all these characters to be around, so the plots become so compressed that they end up thin as tissue paper.

The other problem is you end up with stuff like the scene with the Puckermans. That should have been a bigger moment... but instead, Noah flies in like he's Superman to save the day, delivers a platitude that instantly changes Jake's mind, and then flies off again. It was the textbook definition of trite. It was a BIMOL ("But it's my only line!") moment, a scene written for no other reason than to give a line and a paycheck to Mark Salling.

4. Robin

Robin Nasty Woman

Dec 6, 2001
    Southwestern...
    Bleh. Really couldn't stand the music in this one.

5. Maui

Maui Major Lee Oblivious

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    I have not watched this one yet, but an episode of Britney Spears songs is probably not one that is going to keep me recording next week when it starts going up against both Person of Interest and Parks and Rec (yes, I only am set up to record 2 shows at once).

6. Waldorf

Waldorf Super Duper Member

Oct 4, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    When they showed Kevin McHale doing a PSA for the Trevor Project's "Talke To Me" campaign, I thought Britney's plot was going to a much darker place.

7. Lori

Lori Social Defective TCF Club

Feb 20, 2000
    Bowie, MD USA
    The stuff where they weren't singing was OK but I really HATED the music.

C-.

8. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    I liked when Brittney was going to shave her head ala the other Britney, other than that, I FF through most of this episode. I have a feeling I will be doing that alot this season.

9. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Active Member

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    I was hoping we were going to see Brittney dance like she did in the other Brittnay Spears show. This was a big let down.
    As I said before either spin Rachael off or get rid of that story line. There are already too many story lines back in high school.

10. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I liked it.

Of course, I like Brittany. And Britney. I LOLed at a lot of stuff. Her drawing on the back of the math test had a unicorn in it. And her needing a map to get to the auditorium. And her answers to the history test. And her own special language.

That said, I think they make her a bit too dumb. Just waiting for the writers to make her super smart about something. One little thing. It can be weird and obscure, but it should be somewhat serious.

11. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    They did once - she is an expert in cat diseases. She cleaned up in that category when she was on that academic Olympics team.

12. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    They need to parlay that into her graduating high school.

:)

13. MikeCC

MikeCC TiVotee

Jun 19, 2004
    Sigh...

I really want to continue liking this show. I love the talent I see and hear. But the show is getting more and more confusing. Count me in the camp of those who think the show has way too many storylines going on at the same time.

Daytime soaps had even more stories going at once, but they didn't try to show them all in the same episode! Do the same three or four for a few weeks, but briefly check in on the other few stories. Then reverse things, and handle the other stories and put the 3 or 4 on the back burner.

Glee is trying to do way too much, and it is short changing the performers... and us.

I'll give it one more ep before deleting the season pass.

14. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    Here you go. Apparently the Britney Spears camp isn't too happy about Britney 2.0.

I found the story funny in light of the comment in this thread about how Brittany should have shaved her head. :)

Greg

15. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    They had three different things that were poking fun at Britney.

Shaving her head
    attacking a guy with an umbrella
    a bizarre performance where she looked really out of it.

But in the end, Brittany got back to where she needed to be. Like Britney.

16. Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    They made fun of thins from so many years ago and then gave her praise about making millions on X-Factor which was also a slight cross promo. If I was Britney's camp I consider this a win.

17. Cainebj

Cainebj Active Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    i thought it was 2 years 2 late to be topical.

18. Maui

Maui Major Lee Oblivious

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    I wound up deleting this unwatched. I'm done with it. I might have stuck with it if it was not on opposite two other shows I watch

19. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    Marley is a charming character. She seems realistic in this cartoonish bunch.

20. Martha

Martha Member

Oct 6, 2002
    South Carolina
    Ditto. Cancelled the SP.