1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Giving An R10 To Goodwill

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by BigFoot48, Nov 30, 2013.

1. BigFoot48

BigFoot48 New Member

Jul 1, 2003
    Arizona
    I have an old, working R10 I want to get rid of by giving it to Goodwill. Am I correct that I should remove the Access card before doing this?

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Yes, you should remove the access card any time you dispose of a DirecTV receiver. (By "dispose" I mean transfer it so you no longer have it.) The value of the R10 to Goodwill is close to zero, though.

3. BigFoot48

BigFoot48 New Member

Jul 1, 2003
    Arizona
    Thanks for the info. It was either Goodwill or the hazardous waste service which takes old electronics. Will Goodwill just junk it too?

4. Dec 1, 2013 #4 of 18
    stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Don't know. Probably after a while.

5. Dec 4, 2013 #5 of 18
    litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    I'm surprised Goodwill will take an R10. It's highly unlikely they'll find anyone to buy it.

6. Dec 4, 2013 #6 of 18
    stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    They won't know what it is initially.

I helped my mom take a bunch of stuff to Goodwill yesterday including a lot of stuff I thought was trash. The one thing they refused was a set of 1964 encyclopedias.

7. Dec 4, 2013 #7 of 18
    litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    1964 encyclopedias might actually be worth something!

8. Dec 8, 2013 #8 of 18
    bukzin

bukzin New Member

Sep 14, 2002
    California
  9. Dec 8, 2013 #9 of 18
    replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-pc-1970-...320?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec68c8c38

20 pc 1970 WORLD BOOK ENCYCLOPEDIA COMPLETE SET A-Z WHITE & DARK GREEN EUC!!!
    20-pc-1970-WORLD-BOOK-ENCYCLOPEDIA-COMPLETE-SET-A-Z-WHITE-DARK-GREEN-EUC
    Price:
    US $99.00

I think the Goodwill it a good place to take stuff, as they usually try to recycle, where most thrift stores trash most electronics that don't sell.

I think Goodwill is getting some bad press as the people that get 20 cents per hour can't really work anywhere else due their disabilities, so any kind of work it good for them. I am not associated in anyway with Goodwill.

10. bukzin

bukzin New Member

Sep 14, 2002
    California

I don't really have a dog in this fight but $700,000 per year
    does work out to more than $0.22 per hour!

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland...dwill-ceo-highest-paid-in-state.html?page=all

11. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    **Woof woof!!**

Any CEO that runs a organization that big makes the big bucks. You expect the CEO to work for free just cause his organization hires people that wouldn't get hired by anyone else because of their disabilities?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Direct-TV-D...DVRs_Hard_Drive_Recorders&hash=item2332b64ef6
    Amazingly enough, people still do still buy R10 TiVos.

12. Chrisfromiowa

Chrisfromiowa New Member

May 1, 2015
    I love the R10, I live in an area with many tree's so I can't use the HD directv TiVo. I've tried Directvs DVR and would rather go through the trouble of purchasing an R10, jumping through DTV's hoops to get it working than use that hobbled POS. I know these messages are two plus years old but I wanted to speak out for R10 users.
    PS according to DirecTV the card in the unit is needed and has more to do with the identity of the TiVo than the owner.
    PPS I used to work at a group home and we'd drop off clients to work at Goodwill every day, these were severely handicapped individuals that would need a full time aid to help them do their job, but they loved going to work. Most of them hated their days off.

13. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    The access card should never be passed to a new owner. The buyer will need a new card so there is no point. Technically, access cards are supposed to be returned to DirecTV, but they are often lax about that.

14. akaye

akaye New Member

Jan 2, 2004
    I just replaced my beloved R10s with a new Genie system. I hope we don't have a signal issue. The new dish is on the roof instead of ground level because the installer did say the HD was more sensitive to disruption. Keeping my fingers crossed. I already had a brief outage during a lightning storm. :-(

BTW, I now have 4 R10s, good for parts if nothing else, if anyone's interested. I actually came to the forum to post them on the buy/sell section.

15. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    Can I use it on their SWiM system and will it tune the HD versions of NFL-ST?

16. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    No and no. The R10 is an SD box and not compatible with SWiM.

17. Chrisfromiowa

Chrisfromiowa New Member

May 1, 2015
    I had always heard that about the access cards as well, but setting up my new/used R10 from eBay was so much easier with the card. The third tech I spoke with, the first two passing me off as the had no idea what an R10 was, was able to get me up and watching within an hour because the card was with the unit. His explanation was that he was able to quickly determine the status of the unit and do the satellite version of ping it using the # on the card and the # on the back of the TiVo. Otherwise I would have had to wait however long it takes to get one mailed. Personally I am always fascinated by the ability of some CSR's to make up the rules as they are going and actually get things done.
    BTW a big part of the reason I would rather buy a used R10 off eBay than get a free DVR from Directv is the 2 year contract they force on you. Now if I'd have taken them up on their upgrade offer the first time the 2 years would be long over..duh.

18. Chrisfromiowa

Chrisfromiowa New Member

May 1, 2015
    I can't reply in the buy sell section due to lack of posts. Do you still have them? I know my wife would love it if I got a stack of broken tivos....