1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ghost transfer

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by myrick_69, May 9, 2012.

1. myrick_69

myrick_69 New Member

Sep 6, 2010
    i have a ghost transfer going and am unable to stop it i have power cycled the DVR's and the computer, the transfer does not show up on either to do list any ideas what i need to do?
  2. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    IOW the Tivo *thinks* a transfer is happening (blue light is on) but nothing is being transferred? Is this a transfer from your computer, or a VOD source? The blue light illuminates for either.

If from a computer, this can happen occasionally, especially if you are using the Tivo Desktop software.
    First thing to check, make sure the Tivo Server is running on your computer. I have a problem with the Tivo Server crashing on my Win 7 PC. If it crashes in the middle of the transfer, data flow stops but the blue light will remain lit. Most of the time I can restart the Tivo Server and the transfer continues. Other times I have been able to cancel and restart the transfer.

A transfer in progress 'should' show up in your Now Playing (My Shows) list or on the To Do list. If you don't see a listing on your Now Playing (My Shows) list or To Do list with a blue icon beside it, then you have a true "ghost" transfer.

Something to try (what worked for me when I encountered this anomaly):
    First, if you have any transfers scheduled in the To Do List, cancel all of them and reboot the Tivo (This step may not be necessary, as it was just something I did in the process of troubleshooting my problem). Ignore this step if you don't have transfers scheduled in the TDL.

On the Tivo, set up a transfer from the computer (it might help if you still have a file that you know has transferred successfully in the past. At the very least, make sure it isn't the same file you tried transferring before). You should get the 'Will Transfer Later' screen. Click OK and go back to Live TV.
    At this point, remove power from the Tivo (pull the plug, do not rely on the menu restart), computer, AND your router.
    Wait 30 seconds.
    Reboot router -> computer -> Tivo, in that order, waiting for each device to fully boot before you start the next.
    When the Tivo fully boots, it should start transferring the newly requested file.
  3. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    Transfers in progress do show in the To Do List
  4. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    What is the indicator of the phantom transfer?
  5. ggieseke

ggieseke Active Member

May 30, 2008
    Reboot the TiVo without a network connection and let it run for a while that way. Once it trys to download the "phantom" transfer without any network it will delete the request (what ever it is).
  6. steve614

May 1, 2006
    You are correct. Thanks for setting me straight.
  7. steve614

May 1, 2006
    Interesting. I'll have to remember this trick.