1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting video from Tivo via USB?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by FATGUYMEST, Jan 19, 2004.

1. FATGUYMEST

FATGUYMEST New Member

Jan 19, 2004
    Is it possible for me to connect my TiVo to my PC and pull the mpg files over to the PC for burning? I couldn't seem to find anything on this in the FAQ.

Thanx,
    FG

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Not yet. TiVo just announced a new feature called TiVoToGo which will do just this, however it wont be released until this fall.

Dan

3. pkscout

pkscout Active Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    I'm not getting on FatGuyMest, but is there some way we could get this added to the FAQ? It seems like there is at least one thread every day asking this exact question.

4. FATGUYMEST

FATGUYMEST New Member

Jan 19, 2004
    Then what are the USB jacks on the back of the TiVo for? Is this for using a wireless network or something of the like?

5. futerfas

futerfas New Member

Jan 25, 2003
    allentown, pa
    Yep. You can connect it to your home network and streem music and photos from your computer on to your tivo.

6. FATGUYMEST

FATGUYMEST New Member

Jan 19, 2004
    thats it though huh? no way of getting the video from the TiVo to my PC? thats one of the main reasons I bought the device. I thought I could rip **** to DVD easily with a USB cable.

7. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The jacks are currently used for networking. Networking allows your TiVo to operate without a phoneline, provided you have a broadband internet connection, and allows for the use of HMO. HMO is a separate software package offered by TiVo ($99) that allows your TiVo to perform four basic functions it does not do out of the box....

1) Play MP3 files from a networked computer
    2) Display photos from a networked computer
    3) Schedule recordings via the internet
    4) Share recordings with other HMO enabled TiVos in your household.

Dan

8. FATGUYMEST

FATGUYMEST New Member

Jan 19, 2004
    If it can do all that....I find it very hard to believe some programmer out there hasn't come up with a software to copy the videos from the DVR to a PC yet. It seems programmers and crackers figure out every thing else and offer get options to programs that never existed pretty quickly.

9. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    If you need that functionality right now you have a few choices...

1) Trade in your TiVo for a Pioneer 810-H unit. It has a built in DVD-RW drive and can burn shows directly to DVD.

2) Get a standalone DVD burner, connect the TiVo's analog outputs to it, and use it like you would a VCR.

3) Get an analog video capture device for your computer and use that to capture the TiVo's output to your computer for editing and burning.

4) Look into hacking. (talk about video extraction via hacking is not allowed on these forums, so you'll have to check elsewhere for information)

Other then that you'll have to wait for TiVoToGo.

Dan

10. FATGUYMEST

FATGUYMEST New Member

Jan 19, 2004
    Thanx Dan...and everyone else. You have been much help!

11. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Series 2 units encrypt all video before storing it on the hard drive. So even if you could manage to capture the stream being transfered between units you still wouldn't be able to do anything with it without the encryption key. The TiVoToGo package will do just this, however it will include a USB key, that you plug into the computer, that contains the encryption key necessary to play back and/or burn the recordings.

Dan

12. mikestanley

mikestanley New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    I guess you should have done a wee bit more research, then, because Tivo makes no claims that you can do that with the device.

You will be able to do this come Fall, though, as I'm sure someone else has or will explain.

13. ccwf

ccwf 国際化 Member

Dec 29, 2001
    Malibu
    OK, I added an item for it (with a link to one of Dan203's posts above) to the Help Center sticky thread Before you ask—please check these top answers for TiVo questions!

14. Fast Turtle

Fast Turtle New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    Fatguymest wrote:
    thats it though huh? no way of getting the video from the TiVo to my PC? thats one of the main reasons I bought the device. I thought I could rip **** to DVD easily with a USB cable.
    Dan203 replied:
    "TiVo just announced a new feature called TiVoToGo which will do just this, however it wont be released until this fall....it will include a USB key, that you plug into the computer, that contains the encryption key necessary to play back and/or burn the recordings."

It is now Fall. When will this option be available so this function can be enjoyed without resorting to hacking?

Fast Turtle

15. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    there are a lot of threads on TiVoToGo that are MUCH newer than this thread. they have better info on what is known and more refined speculation.

do a search on TiVoToGO and sample some of the threads that come up near the top of the results

16. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    There is 3 or so months to go for fall.

17. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Could be tomorrow, could be December 21st. We wont know until it's released.

Dan

18. fishdog91160

fishdog91160 New Member

Nov 4, 2005
    What type of quality can I expect from a HD-Tivo to DVD recorder copy? And can anyone recommend a stand alone DVD recorder? Also, I hear rumors that my HR 10-250 is soon to be made obsolete. What gives?

19. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Since it will be downconverted toSD, it will be rather good.
    Look at the DVD recorder setcio of AVS forums for recomendations.

The HR10-250 is going to be quasi obsolete as local HDs are in MPEG4 as they launch, and eventuall natinoal HDs will likely be too.

20. bevman

bevman New Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Napa
    Is there any way to use tivo to go with my new Directv HD10-250? The Tivo website just has a blanket comment "does not work with Directv..." Is there any remedy? I want to move recordings to my computer and music back to the audio stack.