1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting proper lip sync with Roamio

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by jmpage2, May 22, 2014.

1. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Hey all, have a question about lip sync with my Roamio Pro.

I recently had to replace an AVR that failed and put in a Denon X4000. With the Denon I was noticing that sync was off on my various sources including my TiVo, my PS4 and my HTPC.

Using a calibration disc I was able to get sync working well with the PS4 and the HTPC and incidentally both were at about 80msec.

However, this setting with the TiVo is still not quite right... even accounting for differences in different channels, etc.

I can extract the sync test pattern as an MP4, is there a relatively painless way to get it on the Roamio to get this dialed in properly, or is there another (easier) way to set the sync, such as a channel (Comcast) that displays a lip sync test loop at certain times of day?

2. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Thanks. I've used kmttg but it's been quite a while and I was hoping to avoid having to install/configure software just to set sync properly on the Roamio. Would this require that I transcode my test file from H.264 to MPEG2? I'm concerned that this could possibly alter the timing in the file.

3. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Active Member

Jul 22, 2010
    I don't actually know what kmttg does to upload a file or what native formats TiVo can play. I think kmttg only transcodes the file if it believes the native format won't work, but I'm not really sure of any of the details.

4. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Just wanted to follow-up on this. KMTTG does not push files from a computer to the TiVo. It allows you to download and/or transcode files that you PULL from the TiVo.

To push files requires setting up and configuring pyTiVo which requires downloading and installing a few things like Python, etc. It's all frankly too much of a PITA when all I want to do is play back a simple MPEG4 video on the TiVo.

F# it.

5. fyodor

fyodor Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Where did you get the calibration disc-I'm looking for something to fix lip sync on my computer-AVR setup.

Pytivo takes like five minutes to set up and is extremely flexible and powerful. It's worth your time.

6. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    I ordered a copy of Disney's WOW calibration Blu-ray. It includes an advanced setup section and one of the items is an audio/video sync calibration track.

The track features a rotating signal bar with a zero hash mark at both horizontal ends. There is an audio beep that accompanies the rotating signal bar. It has marks on it indicating how many milliseconds the audio is ahead of or behind the video when you hear the beep.

Now I just have to decide if it's worth the headache to transcode it and push it to the Roamio.

7. kbmb

kbmb Active Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    In the past I haven't used any calibration discs. What I've done is make sure my receiver is set to pass-through audio directly to the TV. Then I turn up my TV volume as well as the receiver. I then play something through Tivo and adjust the delay to get it to the point where is sounds in sync.

It's close enough for me ;-)

-Kevin

8. kbmb

kbmb Active Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    Do you have an old copy of the free Tivo desktop? This would allow you to send files back as well without all the hassle of installing python etc.

-Kevin

9. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    That's actually not a bad "hack" and I'm rather embarrassed that I have not thought of it.

I might actually give that a try.

10. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    I had one ages ago but I'm pretty sure it is now long gone.

11. kbmb

kbmb Active Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    Well PM me if you need a copy of the Windows version.

-Kevin

12. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Thanks, PM sent!