1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Spoiler Annoyance

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by billypritchard, Oct 15, 2012.

1. billypritchard

billypritchard Embiggener

May 7, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    Well, two different Facebook related Spoilers today.

First, a tangential friend of my wife's on FB posts a "It's blah blah blah when a zombie blah blah blah..." Uh, thanks for the spoiler. I understand Twitter is terrible for spoilers, but that is also about immediacy. I think people on FB should realize that their FRIENDS may not watch shows right away.

Second, I have 'Liked' The Good Wife on FB. I'm sure shows love to have as many likes as possible. Looks good to the upper brass. Helps foster loyalty and community. But don't screw over your loyal viewers by posting a very spoilery picture from the previous night's episode 12 hours after it aired! That's pretty bad in the DVR age.

<Rant Off>

Anybody else have any recent annoying spoiler experiences? And of course there are those of you will chime in saying get real. Go for it.

2. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    Damnit, haven't watched last nights Walking Dead yet, but there is a ZOMBIE, uhhh thanks!!! :D

I avoid anything and everyone that spoils or could spoil a show that I don't watch that night.

I would unlike the Good Wife page, but only after you post about the spoiler not being cool.

3. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    One of my FB friends posted a major Walking Dead spoiler last season on a Monday after it aired. The specific spoiler was :

Shane was killed off

When I complained, his response was
    You still don't know HOW he died
    Like it mattered then. People are stupid and inconsiderate.

4. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh.

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Spoilers don't bother me in the least.

5. hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Active Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Near...
    Sometimes spoilers bug me, other times, not so much. On soap operas and soap type shows in general, spoilers don't bother me. I even go looking for them for those types of shows.

On reality, competiton, and sports type shows, I hate spoilers. It ruins the entire thing for me if I know ahead of time who wins or who gets voted out. I try to keep caught up on those types of shows because spoilers are everywhere.

6. billypritchard

May 7, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    Yeah, I posted to the Good Wife page about it. And then unliked. Hopefully they will 'get' it.

Some shows are obviously worse than others as far as spoilers, and sometimes you just can't avoid them.

7. zalusky

zalusky Active Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    We live in a connected world. Some people love spoilers. If it's a big deal, I think it's best to stay away from the net until you've seen the episode.

I hate rude drivers but I don't think there going away anytime soon.

8. billypritchard

May 7, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    I think you have to make a point to avoid places like Twitter, which are for sure going to have spoilers. But I think I can rightfully expect the show itself to not post spoilers within 12 hours!

And staying away from the net for every show you care about would basically mean staying off the net all the time. I appreciate that we have general rules here that makes it possible to not worry as much about spoilers.

9. dbranco

dbranco Member

Nov 20, 2003
    I have a facebook (and work) friend who continuously posted Survivor spoilers the day after it aired -- usually "I can't believe Shmoe got voted off!" I ended up hiding all her posts.

10. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Did you tell her how rude that is?

11. allan

allan Just someone TCF Club

Oct 13, 2002
    ^This! Last week, I wandered into a TV show thread before I'd actually seen all of the ep, saw a spoiler and groaned. I couldn't blame anyone but myself for that one; I just had to pick an ep where something significant happened.

But it would be entirely different to have the spoiler pop up in a place you wouldn't expect it.

12. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    Or the guys in a row over just started talking Walking Dead

Couldn't get my headphones on fast enough and turned up the volume

13. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    I solve this problem by not using Facebook. I barely have time to watch TV much less something that needs as much attention as FB.

I do have a G+ account, which I enjoy greatly, but either I don't have the right (wrong?) people in my circles or else G+ users are more considerate; I've never been spoiled by something posted there.

14. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    I'm the exact opposite...I LOVE the WTF moments on a good teevee show....

re: FB.....I have way more "friends" to whom I don't subscribe anymore just to hide their mundane "updates" ... e.g. "I walked the dog today" or "I'm going to bed now"....BFD....

15. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Me either. I am actually now more annoyed by people who get mad at spoilers than actual spoilers.

16. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    IMO, it's just basic internet etiquette. So, when somebody says something like 'too bad' or 'well I guess you just should stay offline or shouldn't read then', or some other such ridiculous notion, I am reminded that it's the principle of the thing. It seems like that particular piece of the puzzle eludes some folks.

Since it IS basic internet etiquette to start with, I put it under the category of being considerate to others to follow universal procedure. period. Obviously, and especially at a place like this, one should realize that people don't watch shows as soon as they air. To just thumb one's nose at anybody who is disappointed that a show was spoiled by their lack of common courtesy and consideration is profoundly rude on top of everything else, IMO.

17. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Generally I think everyone who complains about spoilers is whining. Get over it. So you know how something turns out... besides not really knowing if what is said is true, or complete, a good story is how you get there, not where you go.

18. hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Active Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Near...
    Wow, sure didn't take long for this thread to turn ugly.

19. billypritchard

May 7, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    If you'll note my OP, I was prepared for such. :D and :(

20. billypritchard

May 7, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    Do you think the same about sporting events?