1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GCI Launches TiVo Offering

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Johncv, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Johncv

Johncv Active Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Chula Vista, CA
  2. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    I'm sure TiVo would love too but it won't happen thanks to Time Warner, Comcast, Charter, etc.

3. daveak

daveak Series 3 Novice

Mar 23, 2009
    I have GCI Cable, but I don't think I will be signing up. I have my own boxes.

4. Bigg

Bigg On the fence to being a cord-cutter.

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Comcast is pretty friendly to TiVo, but I doubt they'd be able to come to a revenue sharing agreement to actually rent TiVos through Comcast. The Comcast TiVo was real successful in it's day... not.

5. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Wasn't it only available in New England?

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The Comcast TiVo was available in a few areas. However it wasn't really a TiVo. It was TiVo software running on Motorola hardware, and it was dog slow. (worse then the Premiere) Plus they charged $2/mo extra just for the TiVo software. It was a horrible plan to start with and never really took off.

7. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts

It was also very buggy and required a lot of reboots.

8. Bigg

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Yeah. But now they are running XoD through TiVo in many markets, and eventually nationwide.

9. Johncv

Johncv Active Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Chula Vista, CA
    Cox also sign an agreement to do same thing for VOD, still waiting, and waiting, and waiting……:p

10. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Charter did too, but they seem to be backing out of it now.

I did some research recently on how exactly the Comcast VOD on TiVo works and it's pretty simple. Basically they just bridge the control protocols for their VOD system to the internet so that control signals can be sent via standard IP instead of DOCSIS. Other then that it works just like a standard MSO box. The VOD server starts playing the program on a standard QAM channel and then tells the TiVo which frequency to tune. (you must have a free tuner to watch VOD)

The company that makes the communication bridging solution, SeaChange, claims to have deals with all the major MSOs. So hopefully we'll see a solution like this for all MSOs in the future.

11. Bigg

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Yup, it's just that. And I discovered my system has it too, even though it's not listed as having it.

12. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Is the VOD "UI" controlled by Tivo or does that somehow come from the cable company?

The UI is very un-Tivo.. If you go into the By Network list for example (or any list, but this one is the one I use most often), several pages down, the selection bar always moves near the bottom, AS IF you're on the last page.. but you aren't.

13. Bigg

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    By TiVo. Turns out I don't have it yet. But it will be here soon.

14. Johncv

Johncv Active Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Chula Vista, CA
    How do you discover this?

15. tivogurl

tivogurl New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Almost as if it were intentionally designed to fail.

16. Bigg

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Turns out it doesn't have it.