1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gbit Ethernet on all Roamios?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Lyrical1, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Lyrical1

Lyrical1 New Member

Oct 12, 2002
    California
    I’d read here in a few posts that one of the differences between the basic Roamio and the other two (Plus and Pro) is that the basic unit is not capable of the same Ethernet speeds as the Plus and Pro.

I just spoke to a CSR at TiVo who told me that they all have the exact same speeds, i.e. 1 gbit.

Can someone please give me the correct information? Thank you.

2. kbmb

kbmb Active Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    The Basic only has 10/100 while the Plus/Pro have gigabit. I have both a Basic and Plus and can confirm the basic only 10/100.

-Kevin

3. thewebgal

thewebgal MacAphile AV geek

Aug 10, 2007
    DC 'burbs
    Yeah, but Basic has off-air capability ...

4. Lyrical1

Lyrical1 New Member

Oct 12, 2002
    California
    Thank you for the clarification.

I asked the CSR if the basic, the Pro, and the Plus all have the same network speeds and she told me they were the same. Just to make sure, I asked a second time if all three Roamio units have the exact same Ethernet speeds and she confirmed that they did.

Being a support rep in the consumer tech field must be a difficult job and probably doesn’t pay as well as it should. Nevertheless, I expected to get a correct answer to a question about Ethernet speeds. [sigh]

5. kbmb

kbmb Active Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    Sadly Tivo's support has basically gone in the dumpster. You'll get better support on these forums than you will with Tivo CSRs.

-Kevin

6. lgnad

lgnad Pantless Mofo

Feb 14, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Having "only" 10/100 will not impede performance of the unit in any way in 99% of scenarios.

If you're planning on using it as a hub of a system with a bunch of other units and several minis and have them all in use xfering shows you could max it out, or if you were copying a large number of shows from an older unit when setting it up... but HD transfer rates are generally going to be your bottleneck there, and adding a couple minutes to a one-time event shouldnt be a deal-breaker, I wouldnt think.

7. JohnnyO

JohnnyO Crimper

Nov 3, 2002
    Twin...
    There may be two items swirling into this discussion, only one of which the CSR was trained to respond to:

1) The Roamio Basic has a physical Ethernet port capable of either a 10 or 100 Mbit/second =connection=. The Roamio Plus and Pro have Ethernet ports capable of a =connection= at 10, 100 or 1 Gigabit/second. This is pretty straightforward, and clearly the CSR didn't know this point.

but

2) The transfer =speed= of all the Roamios, on a per-stream basis (say, streaming from a Roamio to a Mini) may, for all I know, be the same. This would imply that something other than the transfer rate over the physical media is the limiting factor (say, for example, transcoding, or hard disk speed).

So, in day to day use, I don't think you will suffer with the Roamio basic. It is what I have, and it meets my needs, even though I wish it had Gigabit Ethernet, just for the OCD in me, when I look at the Ethernet switch, and see the one yellow LED (for 100 Mb/sec), next to a row of Green LEDs (for 1 Gb/sec for my other devices).

John

8. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    The transfer speeds are not the same. The Plus/Pro can get up into the 160 Mbps range. The Base Roamio can only do about 90 (and, unlike any other TiVo, PS vs. TS makes no difference). It's the only TiVo model ever where the Ethernet port itself appears to be the limiting factor on transfer speed.

9. lgnad

lgnad Pantless Mofo

Feb 14, 2013
    Massachusetts
    So, it would be a limiting factor when coping shows to/from a Roamio Plus/Pro or a pc/mac... as long as that device has the bandwidth available. (Premiers w/ Gigabit gets up to like ~120, only with multiple data streams, if I remember correctly)
    I should have qualified my statement that unless you are in the subset of people copying programs around regularly... and sit and watch the xfers (instead of throwing out a 99% like I did), its not much of a/not a bottleneck in routine, average usage. Im sure my statement was also colored by the fact that essentially all of my xfers are (MRS or Tivo Stream) streams for the past year or two. <shrug> :)

10. dbattaglia001

dbattaglia001 Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    So, if all I do is transfer shows via tivo stream or between other premieres or roamios connected via MOCA, it seems to me that I wouldn't be adversely affected getting base model roamio. I see no issues right now with transferring shows with my TiVo premiere xl and Elite. So I'm thinking base model roamio will satisfy my needs.

11. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Unless you are timing the transfers, you will not notice a difference. From a user perspective, everything will seem the same.

12. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    If you are using MOCA, then the Ethernet port speed is irrelevant. MOCA tops out at around 150 Mbits/second.

13. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    If you are using it with cable, the chances of being able to actual transfer and download shows is getting less and less with the copy protection flag being set on more and more channels. With streaming now being to preferred method, whether you have gigabit or not, you will not see much real world difference.

14. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    The Base Roamio doesn't have MoCA built in (you need an external adapter), so it's still limited by the Ethernet port.

15. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Even using wireless you seem to be limited by the ethernet speeds. It seems like the wireless is routed through the Ethernet interface. Since the wireless speeds are unable to exceed the wired speeds. Even though my Roamio Basic can get 300Mb/s link rates, I've not seen wireless exceed 95Mb/s. Any other device I have that gets a 300Mb/s link rate will exceed 100Mb/s throughput speeds.

16. kturcotte

kturcotte New Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    Wish they all included Gb ports! With features missing from the base unit, it feels like those of us usibg the Roamio for OTA ate being penalized.

17. kbmb

kbmb Active Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    The Basic's aren't missing much. Even the Gigabit ports on the Plus/Pro are slow (compared to a full fledged computer).

-Kevin

18. kturcotte

kturcotte New Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    Smallest hard drive (Fixable)
    100Mb ethernet port (Not fixable)
    MOCA not built in (Fixable)
    External box required to watch on external devices
    No component output (This is why I use my PS3 for Nwtflux and Hulu Plus) (Not fixable)
    4 tuners instead of 6 (Not fixable)

I'd have paid for a Tivo will all these features but also worked with OTA

19. kbmb

kbmb Active Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    I was just comparing the fact that even with Gigabit on the Plus/Pro, the ports are slow. So whether it's 10/100 or 10/100/1000, the performance between them are pretty close.

-Kevin

20. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    My point was that even a pro on MOCA will only have a max of 150Mbps available and I haven't seen anyone having any difficulty with transfers or streaming over MOCA.