1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gateway not found

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by kirk1701, Dec 31, 2013.

1. kirk1701

kirk1701 New Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Hey all, kind of continued:
    Code:
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=512541
    The above was mainly "weak signal" and I got that fixed; averaging a 85% signal strength now since I named the 5GHz SSID different then the 2.4GHz SSID.

Started last night, TiVo rebooted itself and couldn't get it back connected, rebooted router and Tivo didn't do any good so I was able to connect to the 5GHz band with a 40% signal so left it there till today.

Anyone know there are two network adapters in the roamio?
    1 for the 5GHz and one for the 2.4GHz
    I found this out because there are two different MAC addresses for each.

Spent some time today trying to get it back reconnected to the 2.4GHz signal and going through the network setup I keep getting N02 error No gateway :confused:

So, I tried assigning a static IP address, and adding the Tivo to the router to connect to that IP, no go, still can't find gateway when I try to connect to the Tivo service but the network page shows it connected to my router and 80% signal strength but can't find gateway??

Finally removed the static IP from the router and Tivo, rebooted both and got it connected back again and downloaded from the TiVo service but don't know for how long.

Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance

2. Time_Lord

Time_Lord Member

Jun 4, 2012

First the TiVo Roamio has two MAC addresses not for the wireless adapter but rather one for the TiVo and one for the built in Stream (Numerically the lower MAC address is the TiVo)

Can help you with your signal strength but with network addressing I can probably help you out. You probably assigned a static address in the 192.168.1.x range and specified a network mask of 255.255.255.0, what did you assign as your default gateway? This will be the IP address of your router, in most environments this is commonly set to be the first address in the network, eg 192.168.1.1, without listing the gateway address you won't be able to get very far.

-TL

3. kirk1701

kirk1701 New Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Thanks Time_Lord
    Yes, 192.168.1.1 as the gateway and it also asked for subnet mask 255.0 which was correct.

DNS I pointed to the router.

Might add I'm Microsoft Certified, been a while but the knowledge is still there and comes in handy :D

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I had the DNS and gateway servers set to my router's IP on my Series 3, but found it already set in my Roamio's wireless settings.

5. kirk1701

kirk1701 New Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Already disconnected by this evening

Don't understand what happened, was going great for a week then the TiVo rebooted last night and all hell broke lose

I had to connect to the 5GHz again tonight, goes through the network set up and connects with no issues on it but on the 2.4GHz it says gateway not found.

Think I'll try changing the channel on the 2.4 tomorrow

6. Jan 1, 2014 #6 of 38
    snoopdogg1

snoopdogg1 New Member

Sep 24, 2008
    I've had similar problems. Can't get the Roamio to connect to wifi any longer. Probably will return it. Never had so many connection problems with prior tivo devices

7. Jan 1, 2014 #7 of 38
    kirk1701

kirk1701 New Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Ok good news

I changed the channel on the 2.4GHz to #11 and for the first time when I went through the wireless set up I went all the way through with no error messages and got the "Tivo will start using the new settings" message.

Connected to the Tivo service with no errors afterwards.

Now, give it a couple a days lets see what happens.

8. Jan 1, 2014 #8 of 38
    kirk1701

kirk1701 New Member

Feb 4, 2007
    10 minutes later and the famous C130 error
    No Internet connection

Run through the network setup again and I'm back to the error message during setup saying

"DHCP Client ID
    Do you need to use DHCP client ID on your network? Some ISP's require this"

Select no and it thinks about in a minute then get this is a problem with your router N02 :confused:

9. Jan 1, 2014 #9 of 38
    snoopdogg1

snoopdogg1 New Member

Sep 24, 2008
    EXACT same problem in my Roamio Pro. I plan to call support tomorrow for a replacement.

10. kirk1701

kirk1701 New Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Mine is getting fun now
    If you see the end of the thread I posted the link to in my first post to this thread above, we'll I was having a weak signal. Ok, thought it was due to my new router so I put my 10 year old Linksys back on the network.

Long story short I couldn't get more then 20% signal strength on the 5GHz side. Now, since the Tivo rebooted itself the other night which looking back must have been due to some service update and was when the problem started and DHCP client error with N02 errors on the 2.4GHz side.

Now, I'm getting a 50% signal strength on the 5GHz side but at least its connecting :confused:

I'd much rather be connected to the 2.4GHz side with a 85% signal strength though.

11. jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    The sooner you give up on a wifi connection for the TiVo and go to a wired Ethernet connection or moca, the sooner you will quit fighting network issues on your TiVo. Put up with the headaches as long as you want and then do it right. Network issues mostly go away once hard wired and using a router the Tivo gets along with. (Never could get an Asus router to work but my current Linksys and previous netgear work fine.)

12. kirk1701

kirk1701 New Member

Feb 4, 2007
    I'm not ready to give up :D
    Right now I'm thinking it's Tivo software and just a matter of time.

13. snoopdogg1

snoopdogg1 New Member

Sep 24, 2008
    From what I understand, to get MoCa, you need a wired connection near the TV/Roamio. My internet cable modem is upstairs, and my TV/Roamio is downstairs, no Ethernet or MoCa is not an option for me. I don't want to go through the hassle and cost of having the cable co install an internet connection near my TV.

14. kirk1701

kirk1701 New Member

Feb 4, 2007
    I think it goes right on your TV cable
    You have to have a TV cable to connect the Tivo to in order to get Cable TV

But your right
    Why go through paying more for a MoCa when you got what you need it just needs to work like it is designed.

15. tatergator1

tatergator1 Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    There is no difference between "an internet connection" and the coax outlet your Roamio is currently connected to for cable TV. With your current setup, you could get MoCA to the Roamio with a single MoCA ethernet adapter upstairs at your cable modem. There are other configurations too, but for ~$50, you'd solve your problem. You might also consider asking Tivo to send you a free MoCA adapter in lieu of a new box.

16. kirk1701

kirk1701 New Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Free MoCa is a dam good idea

But I thought the MoCa connects to the Coax cable, not the cable modem?

17. tatergator1

tatergator1 Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    The MoCA adapter would be installed in-line to the cable modem.
    Coax outlet -> coax to "In" port on MoCA adapter -> coax from "out" port on MoCA adapter -> cable modem. You'd then run an Ethernet cable from the port on the MoCA adapter to an open port on your router. That's it. The Roamio will connect via the coax connection it already has for cable TV.

More detailed info here: Tivo MoCA Help

You'll also want a POE filter for where your cable service enters your home, which Tivo also sells (or thrown in with adapter if you can work that angle).

18. kirk1701

kirk1701 New Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Sounds like a bigger hassle then the way it is now.

Anyways, this was before the reboot; just found this pic. 90% signal and was staying connected, no issues. After that reboot was when crap hit the fan so Tivo had some update that required a reboot I just happen to be watching the evening news when it decided to reboot otherwise I wouldn't have known.

[​IMG]

19. snoopdogg1

snoopdogg1 New Member

Sep 24, 2008
    Weird thing-- I got home from work today, and my Roamio Pro was able to connect! Weird. I guess I'll see how it goes from here on...

Another weird thing is the RF remote occasionally has long pauses between when I press the button and when the TiVo responds. I can see the TiVo turn orange on the machine, so it received the signal, but it takes from seconds to minutes to respond sometimes! Other times, it works right away.

20. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    Is it possible that you have some major source of interference nearby? If so, that could cause both your wireless and RF remote problems.