1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gary Busey

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cannonz, Apr 28, 2013.

1. cannonz

cannonz Active Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Every time I see him on World's Dumbest I wonder if he was always off or did banging his head into curb mess him up?

2. Mikeyis4dcats

Mikeyis4dcats Active Member

Oct 2, 2003
    he is a victim of a traumatic brain injury. I have a friend who suffered a similar injury, and it really does mess with your personality and actions.

3. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
  4. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    I enjoy watching him in Rookie of the Year, released five years after the motorcycle crash. He was still able to carry off the romantic lead there (with Amy Morton).

In fact, he's done a LOT of film and TV work since then.

I did not realize that he's now 68 years old. He predates the Baby Boom by about two to three years. So I'm going to cut him a break.

5. cannonz

cannonz Active Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I just wondered if that was some routine he's always done or the way he's always been, or they had him play it up like I assume Tonya Harding does the being stupid thing.

6. cannonz

cannonz Active Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I didn't think he was near that old either.

7. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
  8. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    Not to mention, he's done a LOT of substances.

9. Lee 2.0

Lee 2.0 Hoopy frood

Jul 10, 2012
    Lazlo's...
    Yeah he's part of the Hollywood old guard, and he'll continue to get work as long as he can carry it off because they kind of look out for him.

He had to have half of his head reconstructed, including his face, which is why it looks asymmetrical. They actually did a pretty great job. I have a cousin with a similar traumatic brain injury, he's a completely different person than he was before his accident.

While I do think having him on reality programming is exploitative, I find him interesting from a clinical perspective. The part of his brain that continues to work the best involves language and letters, which is why he's always making those odd acronyms. They're mnemonic devices for him just like people use them to remember information for a test or something, but instead he uses them to process information and make sense of what's going on around him.

10. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    Raking leaves
    He also had some sort of sinus cavity cancer surgery back in the day as well- I always wondered if the anesthesiologist may have screwed him up a tad.
    No offense to anesthesiologists- just a baseless random musing on my part.

He's a unique character, that's for sure.

11. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Goofy clip of Gary and Gailard Sartain when they used to do an oddball late night "variety" show here in Tulsa.

12. StacieH

StacieH betativowho??

Jan 2, 2009
    Between San...
    I had totally forgotten about his motorcycle accident. I thought his current state was soley the result of drugs and alcohol.

A year or so ago, he did some local car commercials. Apparently he's from the Houston area. Without looking it up, I want to say Baytown?

Edited to add: Yep, Baytown. And it looks like he did Kia commercials throughout the country, not just here.

13. cannonz

cannonz Active Member

Oct 22, 2011
    That would be Leif Garret and his looks change a better don't do drugs ad you will never see.

14. scole250

scole250 Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Goldsboro, NC
    I can't believe y'all are leaving out his most famous contribution...the Juicy Busey!

"Busey, I know that was you!"

"Trust me, buddy - you'll know when a Juicy Busey hits ya between the eyes! "

15. ADent

ADent Active Member

Jan 7, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Just watched the original Lethal Weapon the other night.

The big fight scene at the end is Gary Busey vs Mel Gibson. Both old and crazy now.

16. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    romantic stands for... i forget what he said but trump was impressed

17. cannonz

cannonz Active Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Haven't watched Malcolm In The Middle in long time just saw one had forgot about the Busey's.

18. Hcour

Hcour Member

Dec 24, 2007
    This weekend I watched "The Buddy Holly Story" for the first time in many years. It's a great performance by Busey. He's fine actor, no doubt about it. It's a shame he's mostly known now for being a nutjob.