1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Game of Thrones - Season Two and Book 2 Discussion

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Rickvz, May 3, 2012.

1. May 3, 2012 #1 of 101
    Rickvz

Rickvz TiVoholic

Sep 5, 2000
    Greenville,...
    The most recent episode thread (s2e5) seems to be drawing as many posts complaining about what is posted, especially if it contains any reference to the books, than posts about the actual content of the episode. While there is a thread in the Happy Hour section, many folks that have only read the first couple of books or are currently reading the second book are afraid to read it since there is discussion of all of the books there.

For that reason, I thought that it might be good to have a thread that allows book discussion as it relates to the current season. Thus the title indicating a discussion of Season 2 and Book 2 (A Clash of Kings.) Perhaps this thread can provide a place to discuss the differences between the show and the book and impressions on how the scenes in the book are brought to the screen.

I would suggest that spoiler tags be used to discuss events that are anticipated in future episodes but not yet seen such as:
    the Battle on the Blackwater.

GoT is my most anticipated show each week and I loved the books as well. Hopefully this thread will allow a bit more freedom to make comments based on a synthesis of the two. For me a simple comment that I was disappointed that they did not follow the book for Dany's Qartheen dress resulted in complaints. I still hold out hope that they will add that scene in a later episode. :)

2. May 3, 2012 #2 of 101
    Shaunnick

Shaunnick Active Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Knoxville, TN
    I'm down for this. I just finished book 3, but I don't think it should be too hard to keep the discussion to book two relevant events and be able to discuss how things are diferent between the two. I can still respect the spoiler tag rule also.

Now the real question - how lonely will the other episode threads get since all the cool kids will be over here. :cool: :D

3. May 3, 2012 #3 of 101
    Rickvz

Rickvz TiVoholic

Sep 5, 2000
    Greenville,...
    I figure that there has to be a middle ground between the wide open, anything can be discussed attitude as in the Happy Hour thread and the "don't even mention the books" attitude that some have in the episode threads. It can even be a place to discuss other opinions such as the Westeros.org disappointment with the opening of the last episode not being as well done as the end of the previous one.

4. May 3, 2012 #4 of 101
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I wonder how many threads there have to be before nobody cares any more..?

5. May 3, 2012 #5 of 101
    Rickvz

Rickvz TiVoholic

Sep 5, 2000
    Greenville,...
    Someone had suggested in the episode thread that the "book readers" should open their own thread for each episode. That would really make for a messy situation. Hopefully a single season thread will not add too much clutter. Personally I expect to read the episode threads because it is fun to see the speculation but may not post much.

6. May 6, 2012 #6 of 101
    Rickvz

Rickvz TiVoholic

Sep 5, 2000
    Greenville,...
    Quite a bit of action on several fronts in episode 6. Looks like Amory Lorch had a more merciful death than in the book.

Of the non-book scenes, I love the interaction between Arya and Tywin. The scene with Littlefinger also was quite tense.

7. May 7, 2012 #7 of 101
    madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Wow, I might have to reread although I just read them all during last season. I do not remember anyone stealing the dragons.

8. May 7, 2012 #8 of 101
    JETarpon

JETarpon Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2003
    It's starting to feel like a different story than the books.

9. May 7, 2012 #9 of 101
    Zarisa

Zarisa New Member

Feb 16, 2012
    If they introduce Harry Potter. IM OUT!

DISLIKED that they stole the dragons. Changes the whole storyline. Relating to the books.

10. May 7, 2012 #10 of 101
    jehma

jehma Active Member

Jan 22, 2003
    NJ
    Regarding Talisa -

I can't make up my mind if I think she's Jeyne or not. Clearly she has the same role - to make Robb forget his promise to marry a Frey. I don't really understand why she would be undercover, though, and why that's been changed from the books.

11. May 7, 2012 #11 of 101
    Shaunnick

Shaunnick Active Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Knoxville, TN
    I had read

that Jeyne is not being written in, that Talisa will in fact replace her as the woman Robb weds instead of a Frey.

12. May 7, 2012 #12 of 101
    DavidTigerFan

DavidTigerFan No, not Detroit. TCF Club

Aug 18, 2001
    Charleston, SC
    I'm just at the point in book two that this episode covers, I can't understand why they changed so much. Arya wasn't Tywin's cupbearer and losing the dragons is weird.

13. May 7, 2012 #13 of 101
    Legion

Legion New Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Agreed.

Also did not like changing Roderick Cassels death. That was our intro to Ramsey.

14. May 7, 2012 #14 of 101
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    That makes sense. In the books,
    the whole Jeyne thing happens off-screen, which would make for pretty bad television considering how important their marriage is to Robb's fate. Creating a substitute lover that he can meet without having to leave the camp (and thus add extra scenes to a show that is already highly compressed) is a logical choice.

Spoilered because I can't remember how much of this happens in the second and in the third book.

15. May 7, 2012 #15 of 101
    Rickvz

Rickvz TiVoholic

Sep 5, 2000
    Greenville,...
    At least Roose mentioned his bastard so it looks like he will be cast. There has been speculation that he might not be included in the show.

I'm still not sure whether the stealing the dragons is good or bad. Depends on how it is resolved.

With all the changes from the book in this episode I'm wondering now when the episode thread will bring out the spoiler police. :)

I also wonder when Ygritte will utter her catchphrase.

16. May 7, 2012 #16 of 101
    Shaunnick

Shaunnick Active Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Knoxville, TN
    I don't know why that is spoiled, but I must say I have been reading in the other episode thread for this week's show, and I have been tempted so many times to quote people and say that very thing. :D

17. May 7, 2012 #17 of 101
    billypritchard

billypritchard Embiggener

May 7, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    I think the dragons subplot is a big change, but I'm guessing they use that as a way
    to get Dany to the House of the Undying that makes better sense.

18. May 7, 2012 #18 of 101
    jehma

jehma Active Member

Jan 22, 2003
    NJ
    He has to be so Theon can finally get what's coming to him!

I was waiting for it on each sentence she spoke!

19. May 7, 2012 #19 of 101
    jehma

jehma Active Member

Jan 22, 2003
    NJ
    I love the Arya/Tywin scenes, though. Losing the dragons is very weird to me as well, but

this might be the most interesting thing that happens with them for several seasons!

20. May 7, 2012 #20 of 101
    Rickvz

Rickvz TiVoholic

Sep 5, 2000
    Greenville,...
    The reaction on the "A Song of Ice and Fire" forum has been interesting. There is almost an even split between those that thought it was the best episode of the season and those that hated it.

Even those that hated it generally thought that the first ten minutes was outstanding. The beheading was brutal, especially with Theon kicking the head off at the end.