1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Game of Thrones - Are fans enjoying this season? (no spoilers)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by dbranco, May 18, 2013.

1. dbranco

dbranco Member

Nov 20, 2003
    Are GOT fans enjoying this season? I'm asking because I am SO far behind on the episodes (have watched through "Walk of Punishment" which had a big "Jamie" ending). I haven't read the threads past that episode because I avoid spoilers.

So far, I've been a bit "meh" on the episodes, because half the time they're talking about people whose names I don't recognize, and partway into the ep I start feeling a bit lost. By the end of each episode (so far), I've been pulled back in, but it's been a chore to get there.

Is it worth trying to catch up on the 4 unseen (tomorrow will make it 5) episodes?
  2. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    I'm loving it, but I've read the books so I'm not at all lost in the plot lines.
  3. Barmat

Barmat New Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Livermore CA
    It's Meh....

For some reason for me it seems a whole lot of build up and character development for nada.
  4. jakerock

jakerock Hey ho howdy! TCF Club

Dec 9, 2002
    Lee, NH
    We're still really enjoying it. I've read all the books but my wife (who has not) also seems to be enjoying it.
  5. vertigo235

vertigo235 Active Member

Oct 27, 2000
  6. stellie93

stellie93 Active Member

Feb 25, 2006
    Best show on TV. To me a simple scene with Tyrion and almost anyone having a conversation makes it worth watching. But I remember the first season I had to do a little homework online to figure out who everyone was. (I've since read the books) I always thought it was worth the extra time.
  7. secondclaw

secondclaw New Member

Oct 3, 2004
    The pace is a bit slower than 1st season, but I still enjoy it.
  8. SonicCookie

SonicCookie Member

Oct 28, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Enjoying it as well.
  9. MonsterJoe

MonsterJoe ♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♫♪

Feb 19, 2003
    Central MA
    I'm enjoying it, but I seem to be more lost this season than any of the others. A lot of "who?"s and "huh?"s.
  10. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    This. While I am still enjoying it a lot, I have to say, because of this, I am enjoying it a bit less than the first two seasons.
  11. DreadPirateRob

DreadPirateRob Seriously?

Nov 11, 2002
  12. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    I have not read the books and I'm really enjoying it, but I find that my enjoyment is increased because I read the threads here and some professional recaps to make sure I fully catch everything that's going on. I've talked to several people who also haven't read the books and don't read extracurricular stuff about the show online, and they're mostly lost.

I know that the show is trying to stay as true to the books as possible, and that all the diverse storylines will eventually come together and pay off, but as TV shows go, it's very disjointed. For the average viewer who doesn't spend extra time online, I can understand complaints that many of the characters look the same, that storylines seem boring or aren't going anywhere, and that there are only a few minutes each episode with the storylines that are actually interesting.
  13. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    I do not think that is true. There have been some gratuitous changes, as well as some probably necessary ones. But they do seem to be staying closer to the books that many other television adaptations of other books that I have seen.
  14. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    What I meant by saying that was that most movies or TV shows that are adapted from literary works have their basic narrative structure altered significantly in order to conform to the new medium. But for the most part, that doesn't seem to be the case with GoT. They're basically just presenting us a series of scenes, roughly 55 minutes worth, that follow along with the stories as written in the books, jumping among locations and characters, without much care for whether that particular group of scenes really make sense together as an episode.
  15. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    I'm enjoying this season, but I am not enthralled by it like I had been for season 1 and 2. I didn't watch the lates episode until Thursday, which is when I realized that I hadn't watched the episode from the week before either. For previous seasons, I'd wait a week on purpose just to watch two episodes in a row. This time was accidental and I was kind of disappointed that I had two episodes to watch.
  16. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Just saw this tweet from a TV critic I follow:

I think that probably sums up how the vast majority of viewers feel.
  17. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    This. But in reverse!
  18. SullyND

SullyND L:17-10 TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    I'm enjoying it, but very leery of how they will wrap up the season with only two episodes left.
  19. lambertman

lambertman To see you, Nice

Dec 20, 2002
    Enjoying it. Was very confused in S2, but hadn't started reading yet. I'm slightly behind the TV storyline in the third book right now.
  20. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    This is exactly my thought. If I didn't come here and have people explain some of the things that happened, I'd probably be lost too. I know the books have a lot of different threads in them (at least from reading the first one), and I hope at some point there's a convergence, so they have to show it. Really I only find a few parts of the story really interesting and the rest, I could do without, but I'm still enjoying it.