1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

G4 To Esquire

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cannonz, Feb 15, 2013.

1. cannonz

cannonz Active Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't play video games never watched any of their game related shows, but watch a lot of other stuff that will probably go too.

2. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    Could this thread be any more vague?

3. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    This thread is about the G4 channel changing names and formats, becoming the Esquire channel.

What programming will be on the new channel is not quite clear, but all of G4's current original programming is definitely gone, as is most of the rest of the schedule.

To respond to the OP, I haven't watched the channel since it stopped being (solely) TechTV.

4. Tobashadow

Tobashadow Read over there --->

Nov 11, 2006
    +1,000,000,000,000

5. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    The only thing I ever watched on G4 was the coverage of E3. Hopefully some other station picks that up.

6. cannonz

cannonz Active Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I liked ninja warrior (the Japanese not American) unbeatable banzuki.

7. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Oh yeah, darn.. E3.. Though Spike has been having it lately too, IIRC.

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Not that vague... I knew about the switchover.

9. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I didn't know about the switchover either. When I read the post I thought, '"Esquire is gonna have a cable network? Is that what this is about"? And sure enough... it is!!

I don't think I ever got TechTV. But I did get G4. And I would sometimes stop and watch and drool over Olivia Munn. (yeah, so maybe she is a fake nerd playing it up. But so what. Still HAWT!)

Does E3 still happen? I thought it got killed.

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    On the final ep of AOTS, they did have this pretty funny/cool ending. Someone posted it at http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=500093&highlight=aots but of course, it got a takedown. :rolleyes:

It is up at http://forums.g4tv.com/showthread.php?188390-Leo-Laporte-amp-Patrick-Norton-Ending.

E3 looks like it's still happening per http://www.e3expo.com/. It did get killed at one point, and I went what eventually became the "last one". Well, it got resurrected eventually.

11. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    Does anyone carry G4 anymore? I haven't seen it since I had DirecTV the last time. Apparently it's not there now.

12. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I think I still have it on TimeWarner

13. cannonz

cannonz Active Member

Oct 22, 2011
  14. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    Didn't G4 go all out covering San Diego Comicon? With a stage above the main floor and lots of guests? That was about the only thing I ever watched. I liked TechTV and used to watch the TechTV news show (which morphed into to totally unwatchable "Attack of the Show")

15. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    When it was TechTV I watched Thunderbirds religiously. I loved it with the character background and pop ups.

Yeah, I had no idea about this. Sounds like Esquire is just using the bandwidth not the content. Sort of like Al Jazeerah America taking over Current.

16. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    This is a little different. Unlike Current being sold to Al Jazeera, the channel currently known as G4 remains owned by Comcast. They're just licensing the Esquire name from Hearst Publishing. In addition, the target demographic of G4 has been younger males. Esquire will target a slightly older male demographic, so there is some crossover there, although the target income bracket will be markedly higher than that of G4. If anything, this is just a more refined, more marketable version of the same station.

This channel format seems to be virtually identical to the now defunct station MOJO HD (which, before that, was InHD). That didn't do well, so I don't hold my breath that this will do any better.

17. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    IIRC, there was like a ~2 hour show that was repeated a zillion times. It *seemed* like there was going to be like 10 hours of coverage..

18. timr_42

timr_42 New Member

Oct 14, 2001
    st louis, MO
    I didn't know this, but really have not watched the channel after they dropped the anime programming about the time they switched to G4.

19. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I confirmed I still get G4.

When does the changeover/re-branding occur? (yes, I am too lazy to go google it)

20. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    22 April