1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuzzy welcome screen

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by HFChristie, Jul 6, 2012.

1. HFChristie

HFChristie New Member

Nov 9, 2010
    While swapping parts from a replacement TiVo and my original (power supply and drive) I noticed that the welcome screen on the replacement had a stainless steel background on the welcome screen.

The same screen on my original lifetime unit is a fuzzy gray screen which, as the startup progresses, gets fuzzier and fuzzier until the whole screen is almost static.

I had thought the swapping power supplies might fix it - if my original one was failing, but that didn't make a difference.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this?

Thanks again in advance

2. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The very first screen, the "Welcome" screen, is on a chip on the motherboard.

Everything after that is on the hard drive.

What model number TiVo(s) are we talking about here, and which method are you using to get video to the television?

RF out, TV tuned to 3 or 4?

Composite video (yellow plug)?

S-Video?

Component video (red, green, blue plugs)?

HDMI?

3. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    If it gets past the welcome screen to a normal Tivo display with the correct colors I wouldn't worry about it unless the TV picture starts looking funny. HDMI cable could be the culprit (I've seen a pinkish cast with one).

4. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    That gray made me suspect luminance but no chrominance.