1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Future TIVO (Series 5?) - 2013

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by ghuido, May 21, 2012.

1. ghuido

ghuido New Member

May 8, 2007
    Zatz - What are you doing???? I remember the feeding frenzy 2 years ago with all the speculation for the TIVO Premiere.

i guess it is time for the feeding frenzy to start up again.

2013 TIVO HArdware thoughts .... anyone .... Now taking bets.

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2012-05/tivo-premiere-successor-foreshadowed-2013/

2. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I started this thread thinking that maybe they would announce a Series 5 at CES 2012 --> http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=470885

It appears I was about a year early...

3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Sounds like it will be a minor refresh to include the transcoding hardware inside the box. We're also likely to see a minor increase in chip speed that'll improve the HD UI performance and maybe a built in BT receiver for the slide remote. Everything else TiVo needs to do is software related.

Dan

4. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Don't forget about two more tuners.
    If they come out with an S5 with 3TB of storage and six tuners, I will probably be selling my Elites(and TiVo stream box) and using the six tuner box with two IP STBs.

5. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    The problem is that 2013 is quite a ways off and they don't say when in 2013. They could be aiming for September 2013 and who knows what could have changed by then. With the rebranding of the XL4 and the refresh on the Premiere even though I don't believe the hardware changed, I wouldn't expect it until maybe second quarter 2013.

6. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Dear lord, what would you do with all the free counter space if you one day made it down to only one DVR in your house? :D

Me personally, I just want more multihertzses, the 4G's, and some gigarams.

Honestly I don't know what else they can add except maybe the transcoding. Just make a platform powerful enough to support the software appropriately from Day 1. The Premiere era has had too much negativity the last 2 years.

7. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    How about this (above what was mentioned):

1: Built in MoCA/HPNA
    2: Direct IPTV, as in the IPTV component that Verizon FIOS uses, and that AT&T Uverse uses.

8. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Seeing how TiVo is suing Verizon, I don't see that happening unless they come to an agreement soon.

Although I would love for it to happen since FiOS uses IP to deliver their VOD. And I would certainly like to have access to FiOS VOD on my TiVos. But they aren't even offering FiOS VOD on the Xbox 360.

9. ghuido

ghuido New Member

May 8, 2007
    I would be in shock if AaronWT went down to 1 TIVO Box ...

10. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Hasn't that been the case ever since the Premiere came out, if not before? It was obvious that the hardware was way ahead of the software 2 years ago, and given Tivo's slow rollout pace I don't see much changing here with a new box.

They have gotten better recently I'll admit, but then I read that the IP STB will need a static tuner assigned from an XL4/Elite so I slapped my head and went WTF all over again. They really need some better devs, or stop offshoring stuff (if they are).

11. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...

:D, I'll always have at least two. I have one box on OTA only that I take with me to my GFs house for shows that I've recorded from my other boxes on FiOS.

12. ghuido

ghuido New Member

May 8, 2007
    Now there is Man with a plan ...

13. mrsean

mrsean Member

May 15, 2006
    New Jersey
    Besides 6 tuners, I'd like to see 6GB storage support in the form of 2 hotswappable hard drives. This would make it very easy over the current methods for folks like me that want to archive their recordings.

14. lrhorer

lrhorer New Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Well, this is just silly. The absolute best way Tivo could ensure I don't buy a new box is:

1. 6 or more tuners
    2. MoCA support
    3. 3T hard drive
    4. Hot swappable hard drives

All of those things cost money, and are of very limited utility for most people. They are of absolutely no utility for me.

1. Two tuners is plenty more than 90% of the time, especially for anyone who has multiple TiVos. It will cost TiVo and the consumer a lot less if they develop cooperative scheduling.

2. Yawn. MoCA is far too slow, limited, and expensive. Gigabit Ethernet is a much better target, and it's less expensive to deploy.

3. The TiVo's FIFO storage becomes effectively infinite somewhere around 1T or less for most users. 3T is an unnecesssary expense. I only have one TiVo with more than 1.2T of storage, and at some point in the near future, I am probably going to downgrade it to 1.2T. One of my Tivos only has 750G. I have no plans to ever upgrade it.

4. Hot swappable hard drives would be nothing but a major pain. A NAS is a far, far better solution.

The only thing that would interest me is stable, effective Gig-E support (which is quite reasonable) and the elimination of the chain of trust (which is never going to happen). That's OK, though. I have my Series III machines, and they do everything I need. Anything else, I implement on one of my servers.

The internal BT support is of limited interest, but since it costs almost nothing to implement, I won't argue against it.

15. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Active Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I guess I don't have any issue with TiVo developing a "whole Home Solution" but honestly I hope they also stay with and update a basic 2 tuner solution that still supports OTA.

I actually like having multiple DVRs (all of mine are connect to the same TV); Redundancy is a great thing :).

I would be interested in a "Series 5" that improved on the Premiere's OTA reception, general performance, and provided the functionality of the up coming "Stream" device.

16. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    LOL. Yes it is getting a little silly.

I think it's safe to say MoCA will be standard from now on, up and down the line from the XL6 to the standard model. It's mandatory for whole-home solutions. It's built right onto many of Broadcom's chips anyway.

My debate question for the class is... should they dump analog as a standard feature going forward? Considering the cost it adds, I would say yes, and just keep some Premieres in stock for those who still need it.

17. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Good analysis as I think TiVo now is at the 95% level for the average retail customer that does not use this TiVo community Form. I think TiVo is where VHS recorders were in the late 90s. A series 5 would make sense only if TiVo could bring down the hardware cost and provide faster chips so that the total menu system is HD only, and stop supporting the SDUI. As my TiVo menu use to watch time is so small I don't care what the menu system is (I now use only the SDUI) as long as it is very responsive. The rest of the bells and whistles will appeal to some people but not the great majority of people (not on this form).
    As said above 2 tuners is enough for most people (I have four TPs in four different rooms so I have 8 tuners available if my family needs them). Also 300 Hr of HD storage is twice what I would every need but going from 1Tb to 2Tb at the time i did it was only about $15, and again with 4 TPs that over 1200 total hours of HD storage, way more than my family needs. As of now I don't think I would upgrade to a Series 5 in the next few years if a Series 5 did came out in that time frame.

18. ghuido

ghuido New Member

May 8, 2007
    My Wish List

1.) Keep the 4 Tuners. Unless More are required to support "Whole-Home Solution" Streaming. E.g. You have 6 Tuners but the n2 are used to stream Live TV to a TIVO Extender.
    2.) Keep 2 TB Drive. Have never ever run into a RUN OUT OF SPACE scenario with his amount. Adopting of MPEG4 might even make this an even more mute point since same quality less hard drive space is used. I might consider a scenario where there are two Hard Drives. (One to STore the OS and One to store the Recordings). Maybe even on-board storage. This way if the hard drive dies your entire TIVO does not crap out just swap the drive.
    3.) Built in Wirelss N/AC + bluetooth + MOCA
    4.) Faster BroadCom Chip or More Cores.
    5.) Future Compatibility for AllVid Solution. Any future TIVO must be compatible with the future path (IPTV, etc ... )

19. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Active Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    In my opinion, a tiny niche market exists for a DVR with 6 tuners, 3TB, MoCA and other additional cost features. The problem for TiVo is already cost and making the box more expensive won't help but still as an option for the tiny market willing to pay the price, that sounds like a good idea. TiVo must replace the Premiere with a comparable DVR adding more and better streaming access, I see that as more important than an ultra DVR for the niche market.

Ceton and maybe one or two other companies should be able to beat TiVo to market with an ultra DVR, running Windows Media Center, and it will be interesting to see if there is any market willing to pay the necessary price for such a box.

20. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    The good thing with TiVo is they can develop it for the cable comapanies since that will be the primary purchaser of the device. And then just market it in the retail environment on the side. Since they are less reliant on the retail market now like other devices might be.