1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fringe - "Brave New World: Part 1" - 5/4/12

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by mrdazzo7, May 4, 2012.

1. May 4, 2012 #1 of 59
    mrdazzo7

mrdazzo7 Active Member

Jan 8, 2006
    FIRST!!!!11!! (lol seriously why do people still do that?)

Anyway, thought it was a decent episode but I can't really judge it without seeing part two--I didn't think it was overly great on it's own though... They had Leonard Nimoy in the credits so Bell being involved wasn't a surprise the way it looked like they intended it to be, and since we've seen Walter and Bell interact several times over the course of the show, the episode-ending confrontation didn't pack any emotional heft to me--I get that in this world, Bell was thought to be dead and they haven't spoken in years but what we've seen before the switch over makes it less impactful. In that regard, I wasn't really into that being the last scene, but whatevs.

Thoughts on Astrid? Personally I've watched enough TV to know that until someone's in a body bag, they're not dead (and that's not even a guarantee). She was shot and badly injured, but I highly doubt she's dead, which is another reason why I didn't find it that suspenseful--if she really is dead, they could have made that much more...definitive, but the vagueness leads me to think she'll be fine.

Love Olivia tapping into her telekinesis as hinted at that time they went to the future... Glad Jones is dead... I liked the threat of setting the entire city on fire but it kind of ended there--makes me anxious for what they're gonna do next week. BTW did anyone else think it was weird that Walter referred to Peter as "my son"? I wonder if that's a subtle hint that he's starting to experience what happened with Olivia (I still think it's a little stupid that she's the only one to revert to her prior time-line self--I want my old peeps back).

Also, I'm confused... in an article posted in the "Fringe Renewed" thread, one of the producers mentions that he's still holding out hope that he can pull Nimoy out of retirement before the show ends next year, which I took to mean we wouldn't be seeing him again at all... didn't he say after his last guest spot that he was done acting or something? Wasn't expecting to see him again...

2. May 4, 2012 #2 of 59
    Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Poor Alex!

I don't think the whole regenerating-powers-of-Cortexiphan was a coincidence. It will probably be used to heal what's-her-name...

3. May 4, 2012 #3 of 59
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Clever misdirection. By focusing us on the question of whether he might return next year, it never occurred to us to wonder whether he might return THIS year. Much less be the series Big Bad.
    I assume you mean Athos?

4. May 5, 2012 #4 of 59
    cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    I am trying to decide whether that was pretty cool or just a bunch of leftover silly ideas jammed ino one episode.

5. May 5, 2012 #5 of 59
    jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    I wonder why Jones died so easily. Previously, he took a bullet to the throat and walked away from it because he became an advanced form of human (I forget the exact words he used).

6. May 5, 2012 #6 of 59
    Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    He didn't just die, he half-disintegrated. Clearly there was something else going on (presumably Belly making sure that his bishop was indeed sacrificed).

7. May 5, 2012 #7 of 59
    dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Loved the pillow talk about househunting that wound up discussing a nursery!
    As a local I was bummed that they butchered a few pronunciations on the towns however.

8. May 5, 2012 #8 of 59
    Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Ah, but this is the reconstituted universe. Things change when you alter the universe.

:D

9. May 5, 2012 #9 of 59
    dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    *chuckle* point taken, it could after all have been Manhatan
    :D

10. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    Well, I guess Spock is not the good guy here.* Is he the one that was trapped in amber or one from the other universe?

Excellent product placement: "Buy your morning latte with a Sprint phone - die a horrible, disfiguring death."

So, Jones was just a pawn in Belly's nefarious plan.

*Ref: William Bell, played by the actor Leonard Nimoy, was in a science fiction TV program in the 1960s titled "Star Trek." His character was an alien from the planet Vulcan. His name was Spock. The show evolved into movies later on. Also starred William Shatner. From Canada.

11. dtivouser

dtivouser Tivoless TCF Club

Feb 10, 2004
    SoCal
    Dude. Spoiler alert for shows not in the thread title. Sheesh!!!1!

12. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    ...where Fringe is actually filmed. Coincidence? I think not.

13. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I was disappointed they gave away the Nimoy secret in the opening credits. Couldn't they have negotiated some way to keep that secret until he actually appeared in the show? Would the SAG rules allow them to leave him uncredited until the end of the episode, or can a actor not negotiate away those rights?

14. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    But do people in Montreal (where Shatner's from) and Vancouver actually think they're in the same country?

15. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Je ne sais pas

16. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    I'm pretty sure William Bell wasn't in Star Trek....

17. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    SAG rules are pretty strict about that.
    Occasionally you can get waiver but it's not easy.

Although Nimoy was credited in the beginning, you didn't know if he was going to just be a voice, show up in animated form, or be the evil mastermind here (although I suspect that he's doing this to prevent the Observer dominated future we saw.)

18. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Damned unions...

19. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    Yes, I believe he was in the episode "Mirror, Mirror." It was an alternate universe thing.

:)

20. matt@thehickmans

matt@thehickmans Hemo_jr

Jan 8, 2008
    He died in much the same was that he did in the the season one timeline where his head was cut in two while trying to cross over to the redverse and Peter turned off power to the portal.