1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fringe 5/11/12 "Brave New World Part 2"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Rob Helmerichs, May 11, 2012.

1. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I wonder if what John Noble meant by filming two endings (which the producers denied) was that they could have just lopped off the last little bit if the show wasn't coming back?

Because without that last little bit, it would have been a very good series finale.

2. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Perhaps he was just referring to them filming the scene in the hospital as one ending, and then filming the last scene as a second ending?

3. nyny523

nyny523 Oy

Oct 31, 2003
    New Yawk
    This is exactly what I think. It could have ended in the hospital and been a satisfying series finale. By adding the last bit in the lab, we have our cliffhanger for next season.

I love this show!!!

4. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    I agree on all counts.

The thing with the eyes was freaky. Most creepy undead lady I've seen in quite a while. Even the zombies on The Walking Dead don't give me the willies the way she did.

So, I get the rune thing. I've watched Supernatural enough to know a Demon Trap when I see one. But how exactly was she able to singlehandedly cut away the floor and transport September and the octagonal floor piece to the warehouse? Thanks to more advanced tech she's not supposed to have, I suppose.

Nina saying "you've had the power within you the whole time" to Olivia was such a Wizard of Oz moment.

For a moment when Walter made the exit wound, I wondered if he was going to do the hard boiled egg trick being discussed in the Didja Know thread here. Probably best that he didn't, as more than the bullet would have come out....

5. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    Well, even with everything leading up to Olivia being shot, I was still shocked briefly when it happened.

The eye thing was beyond creepy. I assume they did it digitally as opposed to masking off half of the lens and marrying two different takes together. (Or, the actress was really talented).

Hey, a Goa'uld larva on Bell's Ark.

How come Powder didn't know what he said in the future? Don't they live outside of time, i.e. in a non-linear verse?

It never hit me that Bell wouldn't expect to live in his new universe. That was a revelation.

So, who's coming? (Damn summer hiatus).

6. Test

Test Active Member

Dec 8, 2004
    The observers

7. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    As soon as September explained that he hadn't seen Olivia needing to die in every scenario yet, I thought, "CRAP, not another Lost thread." At least those complaints haven't been posted yet. I personally have no problem with the scene but I can see the posts flooding in soon...

GREAT episode, it would have made a fabulous series finale, if not a tad sappy. I'm going to watch it again.

Greg

8. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Not reading the thread, I'm only 25 minutes in, but wanted to comment...

The concept of "we were created in God's image - therefore we should be able to become Gods" crossed my mind.
    It kind of coincides with the idea that we, as humans, only use a small percentage of our brain power.
    If we were able to tap into the full potential of the human brain, we could possibly achieve God-like status.

TBD :p

9. Worf

Worf Active Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Yeah, that ending was interesting. Somehow though I wonder if it was filmed beforehand or just tacked on when it got renewed. I mean, it shouldn't be too hard to film that extra 30 seconds at the end.

Then again, perhaps it was filmed long ago - it's a pretty generic cliffhanger ending...

10. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    He may live outside of time, but he himself experiences his life linearly, just bouncing around from time to time. So he the Observers don't know everything.

I was shocked when Walter shot Olivia, even though everything pointed to her dying. It bugged me that she was magically healed through the power of Cortextaphainimonium or whatever it's called. And since her body was magically healing itself, couldn't Olivia's body have ejected the bullett without the drama of Walter sticking an antenna through her head? She has telekinesis for chrissake.

If this would have been the series finale, I would have been left very dissatisfied. It made a passible season finale, though I wish they wouldn't have just pulled William Bell out of a hat as the big bad for just the last two episodes. And I felt Bell's motivation was just weak for destroying (remaking?) the universes. "Well, I thought about what you said for awhile, Walter, and finally agreed with your bitterness. So I call a redo on the Univeres. Huzzah!"

I'm glad Astrid came through. And Walter is finally getting her name right.

It'll be interesting where they go next season, if they spend time in the future or what.

11. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I feel that if they had cut the scene with Walter making PB&Js and encountering the Observer at the end, I would have been satisfied with the series ending.

Even with that scene cut, there could have been a premise to fall back on (the future with Etta) in case of series renewal.

12. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I wasn't, to the extent that I almost wonder if that wasn't Bell's plan all along (he was practically screaming "All you have to do to foil me is kill Olivia"). But why?

13. jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    I'm not clear on how the Observer was saved from being shot by Bell's gun. It looked like a gloved hand reached out and caught the bullets. Peter looked like he was wearing a glove. Did he stop the bullets and if so how? Olivia's powers?

14. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    Well, he was shot once, with the first round from Bell's gun. But it was Olivia who stopped the next three and slung them back into the shooter. You could see her hand recoiling with the impacts.

What I wonder is, how does Observer heal. Does the wound disappear when he goes back to his realm or what?

15. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    We don't know that he does heal...it's possible that he dies from the gunshot wound after he goes back to warn Olivia.

16. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    Thinking back about Bell's rationale for creating a whole new verse - he didn't have very big plans. A planet with some exotic animals, a flying bear. That's it? Seems kinda piddly. He could have created a world around some far-flung star if that's all he wanted.

If you're making a new universe, go crazy! Change the laws of physics, suspend gravity, make light travel possible, (and easy), make time non-linear, create extra-dimensional objects.

The justification seems to be: Look what I can do. And he only set up the mechanism. Without Olivia, he couldn't create a popcorn fart.

A minor god at best.

17. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    Perhaps. But, when he comes back to warn Walter, he seems uninjured. Did he come from a different place in time, before he was shot?

What I want to know is where Spock beamed to.

And I hope that FOX doesn't wait until midseason to bring this show back.

18. Oldandslow

Oldandslow "Old" Member

Nov 8, 2002
    Marion, IN
    It's not an idea, it's a myth! We use almost all of our brain, just not all of it, all the time.

http://health.msn.com/health-topics/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100253379

19. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    I understand what you mean, but don't forget a couple of things: this William Bell is a bad guy, so he doesn't need as much motivation as others might; and he had cancer, which really let him say, "Why the hell not?"

20. BitbyBlit

BitbyBlit .

Aug 25, 2001
    The telekinesis only works when she's alive. And until recently, she had to concentrate really hard to be able to use it.

The healing, on the other hand, was a passive effect of the Cortexiphan, so she didn't need to be alive for that. But being able to regenerate tissue takes a lot less force than being able to eject a bullet.

Have a brain that kept regenerating back to a given state would technically prevent someone from being able to form new memories and learn new things. But ignoring that, within the context of being able to regenerate, the way Olivia healed actually makes more sense than the way Wolverine heals.

Our bodies heal in that manner, just much slower and not from such serious injuries. :D

Yeah, I wasn't too impressed with Bell's motivation either. Which is why I like Rob's idea that there was something more to Bell's plan:

Perhaps Olivia dying while pregnant is what put Etta off the Observers' radar.

Bell seemed to have insight into the Observers, and if he was going to destroy the universes for any reason, that would seem to be a far better one than "I'm angry". But if he actually thought the universes were about to be destroyed, why not tell Walter about them?

So I think it makes a lot of sense that Bell was playing a deeper game here. And, knowing that the Observers could watch the timeline, he had to play his role covertly to set things in motion, and then leave.

Walter was able to heal him during the episode when Peter went inside his mind. And then other Observers came and took him away, but Peter activated a beacon that allowed him to find his way back. So either this is after that time or before he was shot.

I'm thinking after, but who knows.

They still haven't tied anything back to the original timeline, but hopefully next season is when everything will come together. You have 13 episodes writers. Don't waste any of them!