1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fringe - 1/11/13 - The Boy Must Live

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by buckeyenut, Jan 12, 2013.

1. buckeyenut

buckeyenut ██ █ ★ █ ██

Apr 1, 2004
    OH.........IO!!
    It's all coming to an end, episodes 99 and 100 next week. I've loved this show from episode 1.

So, episode 98, I'm a bit confused. Why would the boy just walk off the train? I'm like, "Finally, some answers..." And he poofs. Looking forward to next week.

2. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    Raking leaves
    We have decided to wait until we have the next two episodes before we watch this one.
    Spoilers don't faze me and truth be told, if I am going to be disappointed I want to know about it beforehand :D

3. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    That was so frustrating to have all the buildup of keeping the boy safe, and he just walks off the train into Windmark's hands! :eek:

The scene where the one observer was tapping his foot to the music was amusing.

I've already made a couple of clips where I've inserted different music into the scene. :p

Edit:

4. rondotcom

rondotcom Member

Feb 12, 2005
    I've just watched the entire series from Episode 1. It really holds together as a long-assed movie. I was surprised.

5. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    My feeling? he's decided to sacrifice himself so the plan succeeds instead of letting Walter be the sacrifice.

However it is KILLING me that I will be on vacation for the finale, I won't see it until the 21st when I get back, I'll have to avoid some media if it's a great ending and folks are writing about it.

6. stellie93

stellie93 Active Member

Feb 25, 2006
    I thought the boy was going to try to get through to the nasty Observer who's after them. There is something wrong with him by Observer standards--maybe his more positive emotions can be brought out.

7. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    That was my thought too.

:D

8. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Can someone please clarify something for me? There were several references to Walter not remembering things because they were in a different time line. I was under the impression they simply "ambered" themselves and awoke 21 or so years later. I don't recall how Walter (or everyone) ended up in a "different time line". Thanks.

9. Idearat

Idearat New Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
    I'm only 12 mins in and peeked in to this thread to see if anyone had the same reaction I had to seeing Robin Williams as "the commander"
    A hairless Robin Williams, now that's a makeup job!

Update: Ok, looking around more it seems that it's James Kidnie, not Robin Williams.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. mike_k

mike_k Registered User

Sep 20, 2005
    Mason, OH
    I thought it might have been Robin Williams at first, too - until he started talking.

11. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    There used to be two timelines. Then, Peter created a new one by merging the old ones (in the Big Machine). What Walter is now remembering is his (and Peter's) life in the original timeline (which no longer exists, but in which the first few seasons of the show took place).

12. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Wow, where was I when they explained that? So are you saying that what happened in the "alternate universe" is now being referred to as a different timeline? Or were there two timelines in the one universe? And thanks Rob.

13. Family

Family Member

Jul 23, 2001
    Fringe has been my favorite network show the past 5 years, but man it is slow moving. This episode seemed to crawl. But the arc is tying together nicely.

Wasn't the previous timeline before the boring group of last season?

14. JoBeth66

JoBeth66 Temp

Feb 15, 2002
    Hubby & I thought 'Robin Williams' too until he started talking. Kinda jarring. :)

15. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    I'm embarrassed to admit I don't remember anything about last season. So if that was the other timeline to which they are referring I guess that's why I'm lost :(

16. thebigmo

thebigmo Hot Doughnuts Now!!!

Feb 12, 2005
    Auburn, AL
    I was thinking he gave himself up to get the observers off the others' trail so they can go build their time-machine so they can go back to some other point and get him back? That's probably not it though.

17. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Up until the Great Machine went off, there were two time-lines/universes. After, there was one, and it was not the same as either of the original two. (For one thing, Peter was no longer alive, although the Power Of Love brought him back later.) So nothing that happened before the Great Machine went off actually happened. And it's that stuff that used to happen but now didn't that Walter is now remembering.

From Walter's perspective, Peter died as a child, then was miraculously resurrected during Season 4. Now, he is remembering their relationship in the first three seasons (which never happened in the new reality after the Great Machine).

18. BitbyBlit

BitbyBlit .

Aug 25, 2001
    They are still in the same timeline as last season, only further in the future. (Which I suppose would have still been true to some degree even if they hadn't been ambered. :D)

The other timeline was basically seasons 1 - 3. The Season 4 and 5 Walter was a different Walter (not to be confused with Walternate), and until the end of the previous episode, he had no memories about the events from seasons 1 - 3.

19. BitbyBlit

BitbyBlit .

Aug 25, 2001
    Even though they were joined, I would still consider the two universes to be different universes rather than everything as one big meta-verse, particularly since they ended up severing the connection later.

Preview spoiler:

It will be interesting to see what happened to the future of the other universe, and how it fits into the bigger picture. It looked like Fauxlivia hadn't aged either, so either Olivia jumps back in time when going to that universe, or Fauxlivia gets ambered herself, perhaps fighting the Observers over there.

20. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Ahhh yes - I had completely forgotten all that (perhaps with some subconscious intent :D ). And I'd also forgotten that once the timelines / universes merged (and Peter stepped out of the shower), everything previously hadn't happened.

Thanks again for taking the time to explain and remind me. Appreciate it.