1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free upgrade email from Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by robla64, Feb 28, 2014.

1. robla64

robla64 New Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Today I received an email from TiVo saying they will be upgrading my series 3 to a premiere. They said a recent upgrade that will mess up some features now or in the near future was the reason.
    It must have something to do with Netflix moving all devices to HTML 5.
    I'll be calling in the morning.

2. ic316

ic316 New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Here is the text:

"Dear Valued TiVo Customer,

Your Series3 TiVo DVR has been impacted by a recent software update, which may prevent you from accessing certain channels and web videos as well as DVR Expander capabilities. Even if you're not experiencing the problem right now, it may impact you in the near future. To ensure you continue to receive outstanding TiVo service, we will replace your DVR free of charge and transfer your current TiVo service to a new TiVo Premiere or Premiere 4 DVR.

Please call TiVo Customer Support at 877-777-9017 and choose Technical Support today. Support is available Monday through Friday from 7:00 am to 7:00 pm, and Saturday and Sunday from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm (Pacific Time).

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and look forward to correcting the situation as soon as possible. Thank you.

TiVo Customer Support"

Wondering If I could try to swing this for a roamio.

3. dulipishi

dulipishi New Member

Sep 13, 2006
    I got this email too - and I have been fighting with verizon fios about how their cablecards are not working as I don't get anything other than the basic HD channels. After a week of aggravation, I get this email!

They will give Premiere for free or Roamio ($99) or Roamio + ($199) and transfer my lifetime service for free.

I am not sure which one to choose. The whole mess is frustrating (and not to say, a little suspicious as my tivo3 lifetime service more than paid for itself).

4. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

Check and see if you got "upgraded" to 11.3

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=515001

If so, this looks like an admission that it's going to be very hard for them to undo that.

5. Mar 1, 2014 #5 of 80
    teasip

teasip Member

Aug 24, 2002
    Wish they'd break mine. I'd love that upgrade deal. Unfortunately, I'm still correctly at 11.0m.

6. Mar 1, 2014 #6 of 80
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    This sounds more like it's related to H.264 upgrades by the cable provider?

Scott

7. Mar 1, 2014 #7 of 80
    srjtr7

srjtr7 New Member

Sep 9, 2002
    Very interesting.... I was the one who started the other thread about the issue....and made support aware of the issue and that it was their fault and I have not received an email.

8. Mar 1, 2014 #8 of 80
    rundfc

rundfc New Member

Nov 24, 2005
    I got an email as well...

I am strictly OTA. I have to go with basic Roamio in order to stay OTA.

I also have issues with HDMI on my TV. I have to get the adapter for component video..

9. Mar 1, 2014 #9 of 80
    bshea

bshea New Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Same issue here. The 11.3 update made it so I couldn't tune any channels other than the 'basic cable' ones. I'm glad I noticed the email from TiVo on this, as I've spent several hours on the phone with Verizon FiOS tech support since last weekend trying to figure out what was going on, and am on cablecard #3 (!).

Went with the Roamio + incl. service transfer for $200.

10. thalador

thalador Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Same as bshea. I was looking at the Roamio since it came out but didn't want to shell out another $299-399 for lifetime. With the transfer it was a no brainer.

11. waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Which service are they transferring? Monthly or lifetime?

12. rundfc

rundfc New Member

Nov 24, 2005
    In my situation; I have a lifetime that they will be transferring for free.

Not a bad deal all-in-all

13. dhoward

dhoward Member

Mar 15, 2002
    Is this going to effect all Series 3 owners? Ours is still at Version 11. Did Tivo stop the update?

14. rundfc

rundfc New Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Research on the boards suggests that only the units that got the bad upgrade [11.3b7] are the only ones affected.

15. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    Bummer, my Series 3 is still showing 11.0, so I guess I don't get a free Tivo with lifetime. :mad:

?Are they doing it with the TCD648250B too.? My friend has one of those, but I don't think any email address is connected with it. I guess I should check to see if it has the new update, then get her a account, and put it on her account, so she will get emails.

16. dulipishi

dulipishi New Member

Sep 13, 2006
    According to tivo tech support, there should not be a service transfer fee. They will be applied to the account and then waived. You might want to make sure that is the case for you as well.

17. robla64

robla64 New Member

Mar 25, 2008
    I called today and was able to get my lifetime transferred to the Roamio Pro for 199.
    I almost bought a roamio at the end of January when they had an offer for advisors survey members....so I guess I lucked out.

18. teasip

teasip Member

Aug 24, 2002
    Had they bricked one of yours or did you call and just ask for a lifetime transfer based on the issues others were having? If you just called and asked then it might be Roamio time at my house (doubt this was the case)!

19. robla64

robla64 New Member

Mar 25, 2008
    It wasnt totally bricked yet, but Netfix wasnt working and channels were missing

20. canbonbon

canbonbon New Member

Jun 10, 2009
    MA, USA
    Hello All, I am Series 3 HD owner with Lifetime support (purchased in Jan 2011 for $99). I got the email on Friday and I called back on Sunday. Since I am an OTA user on Series 3, all the VOD apps are actually broken on my TIVO after the update. That did not bother me much however, in addition, some of the recorded programs may or may not record e.g. yesterday Red Carpet was recorded but Main Oscar did not. Even though both were on the To Do List. So I had to call them for the replacement.

Anyway, so I called them to avail the offer. He said since I *need* OTA, they can only offer me a Premiere (Premiere4 is offered to those who do not need OTA). Alternatively he also offered Roamio basic for $99 (once again Roamio plus, etc. do not apply for OTA). He said the life time coverage will be transferred automatically and I would need to return the TIVO HD with in 30 days of receiving the new TIVO (He later sent me a UPS return shipping label). After much deliberation, he also offered *free* slider remote if I were to take Roamio instead of the Premiere. Since the slider itself is $50, I took the Roamio offer (and shelled out another $99 to Tivo enterprise). Although I should never say never, but I think this is my last payment to this company.

Just for kicks I solicited his recommendation and he said that Premiere is at its end of life and would not be supported soon. So my best bet is to get on board the Roamio bandwagon as it will be supported for another 4 yrs. Oh well....

Some other notes for what its worth: He mentioned that since my lifetime was converted as part of $99 promotion in Jan of 2011, I am still under the 36 month program for hardware replacement. That is why they sent the email to me for the hardware replacement. (This may or may not explain why only a few folks got the email and not everyone). However, it could be an opinion of a (often uninformed) CSR so I would not take it for granted. If you have a Series 3, you should simply call them asking them for a replacement and see where it goes.