1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free Tivo Service?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by MeInDallas, Apr 27, 2012.

1. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    So a really weird thing happened today. Every now and then I log into my Tivo account to check things out and see if all is well, and today I noticed that my Elite, that I had deactivated a few weeks ago, had been put back on my account and beside it said "Free Tivo Service" under the current payment plan. So I called them to see what was going on, and the CSR said she found it strange as well and could I hold on a bit. I said sure, and she put me on hold for about 15 minutes. She came back and said that the corporate office had put it on there and just for me to enjoy it. Well its a bit hard for me to because the Elite wont work on my cable system. I've been having the problems thats been discussed a lot in this thread here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=481894

Thats the reason I deactivated it to begin with. I've had it boxed up in the closet now for a few weeks, like I explained to her. She asked did I still have the box, and I said yes I do, I paid a lot of money for it I'm not going to just give it away, and maybe when the new software updates come out it might work in 6 months to a year, who knows. She told me to let a family member use it if I want or a friend, but most my family members just use OTA and my sister has Uverse so it wont work for her. Well I got it out of the box and hooked it to the TV in my office and did a connect to the Mothership. It loaded everything and then I checked the system info screen and where it usually says "account in good standing" it now says "free service" in its place. So I guess I'm a bit confused about why they would put service on this box I cant really use and that I had deactivated. Are they trying to get me to use it or something? I dont want to hook it up again and get yet another cable card and tuning adapter just to have the same old mess all over again, so I really dont know what to do about this. Do I need to let it keep connecting all the time to the Mothership so the free service will stay on the box? I was a bit stunned when I had her on the phone that I didnt even ask her, I just said Oh OK thanks have a nice weekend, and she started asking was I excited about the new software update thats about to come out and all that, and I was just sitting like a zombie that Tivo would put free service on a new Elite box. It's new with only about 2 weeks of use on it, this was my 3rd box.

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? Or ever had the free service on a box? Do I need to keep it hooked up and let it connect everyday?

2. GoEagles

GoEagles New Member

Dec 2, 2006
    Who cares, it's free man. Enjoy it and stop asking questions :)

3. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    Well, I wish it would work with my cable, or an antenna at least. I was going to get lifetime on this box but it never worked out, and if it would work I would be more than happy to throw $400 at them.

4. Teeps

Teeps Active Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    I would certainly reconnect box, long as the free service is available. Maybe the new software will fix the problem. But, you won't know that if the TiVo is in the box.

Another thought would be to ask TiVo to mitigate the (Elite) situation by:

A: Buying the unit back, including all taxes and shipping.
    and for your inconvenience and aggravation
    B: Switching the "free service" to your other TiVo unit, until such time an Elite or xl4 can be guaranteed to work for you.

5. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    You didn't expect them to give you free service on one you can actually use, did you?

Perhaps it was a particularly sadistic April 1st promo.

6. ajwees41

ajwees41 Active Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    what's the version number of the tivo software?

7. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    I went ahead and hooked it up to let it connect last night. I'll be able to tell from my other Premiere's when the new spring update is out and then hopefully there will be some fixes in it for the issues that are going on. Got my fingers crossed!

The software version it has is: 20.2.0a-01-2-758

8. Wingershute

Wingershute New Member

Oct 22, 2010
    op can you post pics of this free TiVo service? Your story sounds unbelievable. Why would TiVo do this?

9. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    I will when I get my camera back, I let a friend borrow it that went to Oregon on a trip. Why Tivo would do this, I dont know. Maybe they did it so when the new update comes out I would download it and try and see if it works then? No idea to be honest. I seriously doubt it would be anything permanent. Maybe just a few months added to my account.

It's really no big deal to me at all. It's like buying a new iPhone 4S, and getting home and none of the buttons work, you cant make any calls, you dont know what the number is, Siri is dead, but AT&T or Verizon calls and says "WOW you got free service, enjoy!" It really means nothing. :rolleyes:

10. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    You can use it for MRS/MRV if nothing else. (No need for cable card, TA etc.)

11. gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
    And any streaming services (Youtube and Pandora are free, plus netflix/hulu if you subscribe to either and amazon if you wanted to rent or purchase any on-demand content).

12. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Your cell phone doesn't have a camera??

13. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    Nope, sure doesnt.

14. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I didn't think they still made any cell phones without cameras.

15. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Just take a screen shot on the computer. Same as taking a picture and it's right there in a flash.

16. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    Yes they do, they are called "pay as you go" phones. I hate cell phones, one of my pet peaves. Emergency use only in this house. If you cant get me on the house phone, then stop trying or wait until I get back home.

17. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    Kinda hard to do of the TV screen. I wont take a screen shot of my account and post here, not going to happen.

And please all, lets go ahead and get it out in the open and say it. I'm not here to prove to anyone I have this service, and I dont care if anyone believes me or not about it. Either you believe me or you dont, thats not the question here and I'm not going off topic into some other discussion about whether or not I have this service. So if you dont believe me about then good luck to you, and have a nice day because I didnt create this thread to prove to anyone about my Tivo service and I wont debate anyone about it.

18. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    Its a good idea, but I dont even use any of those. Theres too much on cable to keep up with as it is. I've got 4 Tivo's going now plus 2 Motorola DVR's from the cable company, so the shows to watch seem endless sometimes. I just wish the Elite would record so I could eliminate the 2 Premiere's out of the loop. I had actually bought those from that Electronics Expo deal for $49.95 to give one to my mom who's using OTA and a friend of mine but I ended up using them when the Elite went south.

19. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I believe you 'cause it sounds too nutty for anyone to have dreamed up on their own, truth being stranger than fiction and all that.

20. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    Exactly! It's not like I'm running thru the house with party hats and horns throwing confetti all over the place and sippin champagne. I'm sitting here wondering why in the heck would Tivo put service on a DVR that I cant use with my cable system. I almost feel like they were all doubled over in laughter in their cubicles, and the CSR was holding up a huge sign saying "It's him!" when I called in, like its some kind of big joke at my expense. :rolleyes: