1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

free Tivo Desktop ending

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by ajwees41, May 4, 2013.

1. May 4, 2013 #1 of 71
    ajwees41

ajwees41 Active Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
  2. May 4, 2013 #2 of 71
    innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    It looks like Plus is now only $16 rather than $25.

I would happily pay for TiVo Desktop if they actually worked on it and kept it updated even more so if it worked like the iPad app.

3. May 4, 2013 #3 of 71
    waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Did you actually read that or are just inferring?

I scanned the page and didn't see anything that explicitly mentions anything like that. Of course the "Download by June 5th 2013" seems interesting. Note that it doesn't say that by, the Mac version.

I wonder if they screwed up and meant that TiVo Desktop Plus is on sale through June 5 and they put the date in the wrong area of the page.

4. May 4, 2013 #4 of 71
    ajwees41

ajwees41 Active Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    well it could be a mistake I just noticed it when re downloading the free version on a repaired laptop.

5. May 5, 2013 #5 of 71
    PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    My guess is that TiVo Desktop as we know it is being done in, obsolete. I expect a new app that is compatible with Windows 8 and TiVo Stream to replace it. Added that the current download requires a patch.

Leaving Android users and Windows 7 and earlier in the lurch unless you already have it. I hope those of us with the TiVo Plus Key get a free upgrade to whatever... Afterall we loyally contributed!

Just to be certain I'm burning a copy with patch along with a doc with my key.

6. May 5, 2013 #6 of 71
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    The current TiVo Desktop runs on my Windows 8 machine without any issues.

7. May 5, 2013 #7 of 71
    gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
    And that leaves a lot of non-8 Windows users in the lurch.

8. May 5, 2013 #8 of 71
    mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Active Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I always preferred kttmg anyway so it's not a big deal for a lot of folks. You gotta love third party apps.;)

9. May 6, 2013 #9 of 71
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    A lot of the 3rd party apps still require TiVo Desktop because it installs the DirectShow filter required to decrypt .tivo files. So if TiVo Desktop goes away then those 3rd party apps are going to lose a lot of their functionality.

Sure there is tivodecode, but it doesn't work right with the newer TS format use for Premiere units.

If TiVo Desktop goes away then .tivo support in VideoReDo, and most other 3rd party apps, is going to die. :(

10. jjd416

jjd416 Member

Nov 24, 2009
    I chatted with TiVo support today to clarify the June 5th deadline. Here is the chat:

James: Hi, my name is James. Are you an existing customer?
    TiVo Customer: Yes I am.
    James: I can definitely help you with your questions! With whom am I chatting with today?
    TiVo Customer: John
    James: What can I assist you with today, John?
    TiVo Customer: When looking at downloading TiVo Desktop for PC I noticed that there is a note that it must be downloaded by June 5, 2013. What happens after June 5th?
    James: That is simply in reference to the discount on Desktop Plus.
    TiVo Customer: Okay, thanks. That makes sense. Have a nice day and thanks for your time.

11. tatergator1

tatergator1 Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Well, looks like that Tivo support chat above is wrong. Just got this email.

No more Free version after June 5th and if you want official Windows 8 support, fork over $15.99 for Desktop Plus.

This is baffling. I can't see paying for Desktop Plus unless there are significant feature enhancements, including MRS to PC.

12. bshrock

bshrock New Member

Jan 6, 2012
    What about those that have all-ready forked out the $29 for TiVo Desktop plus will we be able to download it?

I have all-ready paid for HME, 4 add-on TiVo's and 2 TiVo Desktop plus key's

13. Philmatic

Philmatic Member

Sep 17, 2003
    Got the same email, hopefully this means that we will see an official Windows 8 application that supports the TiVo stream by then.

14. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I agree. Hopefully with this switch they'll be able to fund future development of TiVo Desktop so they can actually update it with new features.

15. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Yes, Plus is staying around. Only the free version is going away at least as of now.

16. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida

Well we know at one point there was a company that was supposedly working on DLNA for TiVo so maybe we will see a new version that supports DLNA in some fashion.

17. ajwees41

ajwees41 Active Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    the free version already works on windows 8 maybe they want more money which they will get since each pc needs it's own license.

18. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    I do suspect this is in preparation of an updated product.

And I also think it will be a product that has the option to leverage the TiVo Stream and allow the user to stream recorded content directly to a computer - similar to the functionality available on the IOS mobile platform.

I do not expect to see a "Metro" version of the app. This would be fully backword compatable, in other words a full desktop version of the software.

But I am pretty excited about it anyway!!!

19. MikeMacMan

MikeMacMan New Member

Sep 16, 2006
    I got the same email. This sucks. Now I'm going to have to make 13 copies of the installer to make sure I always have one.

20. hunts

hunts New Member

Oct 4, 2006
    Illinois
    The lack of an explanation besides "we want more money" is very sad