1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free Classic Movies on Amazon Unbox for TiVo through 11/18

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by TiVoStephen, Nov 13, 2007.

1. TiVoStephen

TiVoStephen formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Jun 27, 2000
    Alviso, CA, USA
    Hi folks,

From now through November 18, you can download a classic movie FREE via Amazon Unbox. (Some are free rentals, and some are free purchases.)

Remember, for rentals, you can wait up to 30 days to start watching -- so if you're worried about running out of things to watch during the writer's strike, act quickly!

There are some amazing movies available, including:

Here's how to get your free movies:

1. Go to TiVo Central -> Find Programs -> Download TV & Movies
    2. Choose Amazon Unbox
    3. If you haven't already, link your TiVo account to your Amazon account as prompted. (You can also do this online at http://www.amazon.com/unbox/tivo/.)
    4. Select the "Free Classic Movie Week" feed. Then select the movies you want to download.
    5. If you have a Series2, wait for the download to complete to your DVR. If you have a Series3 with a fast Internet connection, wait a few minutes and begin watching.

May I recommend His Girl Friday if you haven't seen it already? Cary Grant's performance in that along with Douglas Fairbanks's in The Mark of Zorro are among my favorites.

Enjoy!

Best regards,
    Stephen

2. Chew

Chew New Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Very cool! I've always wanted to see Potemkin, 8 1/2, and His Girl Friday. Add a little Laurel & Hardy and I have plenty for the weekend. :)

3. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Nope, already downloaded that one over a year ago free off archive.org. :p You have a couple there that are on Archive.

House on Haunted Hill is one of the true greats. Got that off TCM with my S3 many months ago - now even better with TTG!

Now The Iceman Cometh sounds very tempting. :)

4. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    I pulled some down last night and will get some more on the downstairs TiVo to show the kids some of the classics they might like.

It would be cool if there was a way to experiment with broadening the 24 hour to wtach window on these. Movies such as these are ones I might very likely watch an hour of when I have the time and then want to come back to finish watching later. I really find the 24 hour window LIMITS the USEFULNESS of UNBOX and thus limits the money I will spend on it.

Free however is very good. :):up:

5. mtchamp

mtchamp New Member

May 15, 2001
    MA
    Even 24 hour rentals for free give me stress. Who wants my money that won't cause me stress? I downloaded the free movies to own. Rentals I avoid, because I just can't be sure I'll be able to finish a movie in one appointment with my TV. I have access to plenty of free movies that my TiVo serves up without any restrictions. I pass on 99 cent rentals all the time. Come on Hollywood, I'm not a pirate and I'm willing to pay. Make it worthwhile! Do something bold. Let me watch it for 30 days and I'll buy in volume. Give me a subcription deal like Rhapsody and I'll go antenna and Unbox.

6. flaminio

flaminio New Member

May 21, 2004
    Redwood...
    I'm guessing many of those listed are in the public domain, but free movies are always a Good Thing. Thanks for the tip; I queued up a bunch for DL. Now hopefully my broadband won't catch fire...

7. MickeS

MickeS New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    AZ
    Public domain or not, this is an easy way to get them onto the TV screen. There are some great movies there, if you haven't seen "The cabinet of Dr Caligari" or "Nosferatu", I highly recommend them.

8. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Now how did that one sneak in there? What's with the gap from 1969 to 1990? :)

I loved R&G and probably haven't seen it in 15 years ... might have to grab it.

9. mphtrilogy

mphtrilogy New Member

May 29, 2007
    I just grabbed a bunch, looking forward to seeing how good the quality is.

10. sbourgeo

sbourgeo Hepcat Daddio

Nov 10, 2000
    New England
    I grabbed a purchase and a rental just to try out Unbox, but I was bummed that I couldn't use the TiVo desktop software to transfer the purchased movie to my PC for backup purposes.

I realize that it is marked as "Copy Protected", but why would anyone spend their money to purchase a movie this way if they might have to eventually delete it to make room for other programming or lose it if their TiVo hard drive TiVo craps out?

11. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    Note you can erase and re-download a purchased movie as many times as you want to (modulo a possible blackout period for a brand new movie). There's no need to backup, at least theoretically; Amazon maintains the backup for you.

12. TiVoStephen

Jun 27, 2000
    Alviso, CA, USA
    sbourgeo, you can use the Amazon client to download a copy of a purchase to your PC if you really want in on your PC. Otherwise, for purchases, you can re-download purchases from Your Media Library on Amazon.com to any TiVo DVR on your account. (With the exception of new movies having a pay TV blackout window during which time you cannot re-download.)

So, you don't have to worry about space or losing the purchase if you lose your DVR to a disaster.

Rentals obviously you can't transfer or re-download -- but if it's a free rental like these you can keep on renting for $zero if you want another copy.

13. TiVoStephen

Jun 27, 2000
    Alviso, CA, USA
    It surprised me a little too, but it DOES have a "classic" feel to it. :)

14. TiVoStephen

Jun 27, 2000
    Alviso, CA, USA
    Any other fans of "8 1/2"?

15. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Sorry, but when I tried to watch it all I could think was that watching the paint on a park bench fade would be far more entertaining.

There are a couple of these classic titles that I'd like to download, but Amazon still thinks that I'm in Barcelona.

and FYI as I was reading this thread and checking out the available movies on unbox on my Tivo, I lost all of the menus and any other on screen displays. No menus, no on screen guide, no info screen, no green bar and had to restart it the hard way.

16. sbourgeo

sbourgeo Hepcat Daddio

Nov 10, 2000
    New England
    Thanks, that didn't occurr to me. I kinda figured that I was on my own once I had successfully downloaded it.

I saw that, but it looks like I couldn't go from my PC to the TiVo either. I suppose that doesn't matter as long as you can grab it from Amazon again.

Either way, this was a nice way to give Unbox a shot. :up:

17. twassel

twassel New Member

Feb 20, 2006
    Unfortunately, the version of "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari" is not the 1919 classic but the 2005 remake, unseen by me.

18. MickeS

MickeS New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    AZ
  19. twassel

twassel New Member

Feb 20, 2006
    If you go to the Unbox site and click on "download classic movies", "Cabinet" comes up as one of the choices, but not the 1919 version, which is, as you correctly found, "unavailable".

20. MickeS

MickeS New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    AZ
    Ah... well that is hardly a classic movie. :mad: