1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fox 25th Anniversary Special 4/22/2012

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by That Don Guy, Apr 23, 2012.

1. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    This should have received the full 3 hour Sunday block. All of the "reunions" (Married...with Children; The X-Files; That '70s Show) consisted pretty much of each cast member saying one thing, and very little interaction; they might as well have recorded them separately, like they apparently did with the Beverly Hills 90210 cast.

A few other things I noticed:
    • They aired Bart's nude skateboarding scene from the movie, finishing with Flanders's "Bountiful Penis" line - which was cut from every Fox airing of the movie itself.
    • They mentioned the names of American Idol, The X Factor, and Masterchef winners, but while they did show clips of Hell's Kitchen and So You Think You Can Dance?, not one contestant's name was mentioned (although with SYTYCD, pretty much the only time they have ever mentioned a contestant's last name (rather than just displaying it on the screen at his/her first audition) - including former contestants - is when Chelsie Hightower was invited back to be an "all-star partner," and I have a feeling the Dancing With The Stars producers made them do it as a condition for allowing Chelsie to be on the show).
    • No "game shows" were mentioned - then again, when ABC had its 25th anniversary special in the late 1970s (which ran four hours), the only game show reference was a shot of Richard Dawson on the Family Feud set during the special's opening (despite ABC having had somewhat lengthy runs of Let's Make a Deal and Password by then). They did mention some of the "dating" shows (and bonus points to the cast of New Girl for asking Fox to put several billion dollars into the "{6-letter D-word} jar" for even considering The Swan), but how could they leave out The Moment of Truth, Greed, The Chamber, or (especially) Hole in the Wall?
    • The one thing that really surprised me: not one mention of America's Most Wanted.
    Wait...this thing lets me use "penis" but not "{6-letter D-word}"?

2. sieglinde

sieglinde New Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Why should a medical term be censored?

3. dimented

dimented Comfortably Numb TCF Club

May 21, 2003
    Somewhere...
    I was also surprised at no mention of Arsenio Hall. At the time, that show was a big deal and if I remember correctly also helped to put Fox on the map.

4. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    What got me was during the Sci-Fi montage, they showed scenes from Firefly (as well they should) - but many of the scenes were clearly from the pilot episode, "Serenity."

The pilot episode that they ended up shelving then burning off on the schedule after the show had already been cancelled.

I would have also liked at least a brief mention or shot of "Brisco County Jr." somewhere during this.

5. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Why would they bother doing a "That 70's Show" reunion panel without Topher Grace? That kind of ruined that segment for me.

I also noticed that they showed the Bart skateboarding naked scene from the movie. Interesting they'd use that rather than stuff from the TV show.

Didn't they show several clips from America's Most Wanted when they were showing Sheriff John Bonell introducing the episodes? Wasn't that the show he was on?

It seems like they showed a quick clip of Ally McBeal coming out of a bathroom stall, but other than that, I don't think they even mentioned that show at all. Seems kind of odd, since that show was quite a cultural phenomenon when it aired and was probably FOX's highest-rated show at the time.

When they opened up the FOX Sports segment with the western/horse thing, I thought that was going to be Brisco County Jr. until I realized it was a younger Terry Bradshaw.

6. lambertman

lambertman To see you, Nice

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    "The Arsenio Hall Show" was syndicated. Hall had served as a interim/guest host of "The Late Show" briefly, though. Story is that when FOX decided to try to hire him full time, it was too late as he was already locked up with Paramount.

7. lambertman

lambertman To see you, Nice

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    There was an segment on AM in the first hour. Calista talked at length with a handful of clips shown.

8. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Hmm. I watched this in the middle of the night when I woke up and couldn't go back to sleep, so maybe I dozed off during that segment.

9. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    There were a few clips from the show (for example, one with a naked Homer and Marge standing behind two whirlygigs), although there might have been rights problems involving older episodes, since the show is still in widespread syndication. (Yes, Fox did air the show's first episode just before the special, but Fox has to jump through a considerable number of hoops to show an episode that is in syndication - this is why both the Michael Jackson and Elizabeth Taylor (as Maggie) episodes didn't air again on Fox until over a week after their respective deaths.)

I think Bonell was on World's Wildest Police Videos. John Walsh hosts AMW.

I was a little surprised they included the clip of the crash that killed Dale Earnhardt Sr., although it doesn't look like it was that severe (of course, it was head-on into the wall and they didn't have the SAFER barriers to cushion the impact).

And how could I mention Fox game shows and leave out Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?

10. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    He was on World's Wildest Police Chases.

John Walsh has been the host of AMW all along, I believe.

11. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    You're both right. I was mistaken. Strange that there was no mention of AMW, then.
    I thought the same thing. Since we know that Dale Sr. pretty much died instantly on impact, that clip is basically no different than the stuff in Faces of Death, except that he's inside the car so you can't see the body.

12. Ereth

Ereth Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Jacksonville...
    I was disappointed they didn't mention "Alien Nation". It did well enough to get 3 separate TV movies to continue it's storyline (the first ever, if I recall, season ending, and then series ending, cliff hanger!)

13. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    The brief segment with the "Bob's Burgers" cast at the "banquet" showed several Fox show logos on the wall of the room, one of which was "The Adventures of Briscoe County Jr."

14. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I'm guessing because Topher Grace declined to appear.

It's well known in Hollywood circles that Topher basically considered 'That 70's Show" just a job and didn't do any publicity he didn't have to and didn't hang with the rest of the cast and crew after hours.

15. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I realize that. But since he was really the star of the show, his absence seemed so glaring when they sat everyone else down together and said, "the cast reunites for the first time to discuss the show." If they couldn't get all the major actors together, they should have done separate interviews with various cast members, and then it wouldn't have been so obvious that he wasn't there.

16. Michael S

Michael S Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Did they show Futurama with animation segment? I don't remember if they did.

Their Scifi segment should have been the BIH segment. Because most of the shows were BIH show that had one or two seasons.

17. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I just want back to my recording and I see why I missed this segment. Right after highlight of The X-Files, the narrator said, "coming up after the break..." and it showed a bunch of stuff that was coming up. But then instead of going to commercial, it went to a "FOX Memories" segment which was Calista talking about AM. I must have hit FF as soon as I heard "coming up" and didn't realize they didn't go right to commercial.

18. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Did anyone else notice that they highlighted Flee in both the Comedy segment and in the Drama segment. Shows that even FOX isn't sure what the show is.

19. mrdazzo7

mrdazzo7 Active Member

Jan 8, 2006
    I thought it was an OK look back, but it really didn't pull out any stops or anything... I had it on live in the background so I didn't FF through it... they touted the "70's show" panel for the entire two hour show like it was the main event of the night, which made absolutely no sense to me given the amount of "game changing" shows the network has had on over the years.

I guess the show had a fan base to last as long as it did, but from what I recall it wasn't exactly a game changer and sure didn't warrant the amount of coverage it got here, especially since it wasn't even the whole cast--no Eric and no Hyde (the only actually funny character on the show).

If anything, MWC should have been the "main" panel since that was Fox's first sitcom and definitely has a place in pop-culture history, plus it's been off the air for a lot longer so would have been more of an "event" feel with more time alloted to it. MWC for comedy, 90210 pretty much started the modern teen genre and was a huge key to Fox becoming Fox, The Simpsons obviously speaks for itself... The X-Files was pretty much the biggest genre show of the entire 90's... 24 sort of revolutionized "event" TV... and American Idol put competition shows on the map and (unfortunately) great elevated the profile of reality TV. Any of these would have been legit event-type panel for a special like this. They kind of got half way there, I guess.

I think you guys are right about America's Most Wanted not getting any play--I saw a whole sequence of the WWPC guy but I don't think they even showed John Walsh, or mention AMW. Makes no sense...

20. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I didn't see the show, but I loved the sign (tried to copy here to no avail) -

Congratulations FOX
    on 25 years...
    We still love you*

*This doesn't include Fox News

:D