1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Four tuners...why not...

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Bighouse, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Bighouse

Bighouse 200 Club Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Guerneville, CA
    Four HDMI outputs? Then I could use my tv's multiple HDMI inputs to use picture in picture or picture by picture on my tv to watch two shows at once!

Anyone?

2. farmermac

farmermac Recorder of shows

Jan 31, 2012
    I never got the point of pip and watching 2 shows at once. Can you really enjoy both shows?

Maybe some sports but even then.

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If you are talking about the Premiere Elite/XL4, no its not 4 tuners to watch, its used for recording 4 shows at once, but there is only 1 HDMI output or component.

Rear diagram of the XL4:
    [​IMG]

Fan - Cable card slot - eSATA - Video - Optical - HDMI​

4. Bighouse

Bighouse 200 Club Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Guerneville, CA
    Yes I am and I know! If the four tuners are always available I'm just thinking how nice it would be to be able to run an hdmi cable from each tuner to separate hdmi inputs on my tv.

5. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Even if there was 4 HDMI outputs, they would be outputing from the same tuner, or recording.

6. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    The upcoming ip box is suppose to allow you to dedicate a tuner to it from a XL4 and that would work over your network without running long hdmi cables.

7. Millionaire2K

Millionaire2K New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Philadelphia
    I don't think you're getting what he is saying.

He would like Tivo to create a box that WILL have 4 tuners, that WILL have 4 hdmi outputs, and WILL let you watch 4 diffrent shows from each output.

He wants a new magic box.

For PIP I think just 1 extra hdmi would be good enough.

8. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Don't the TiVos still only have one MPEG decoder? You would need multiple decoders to have multiple different outputs.

9. TZR916

TZR916 New Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Sacramento
    I used to be with Dish Network. The Vip722 has multiple tuners and has PIP as a built in feature. There's no need for multiple hdmi outputs. The PIP is done in the STB, just press a button on the Dish remote. It works very well too- size, location, swap. I never used it but my dad (who is still with Dish) uses it all the time. When I switched from Dish to Comcast I was actually wondering why the Elite didn't have PIP (even though I would never use it).

10. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    When someone is discussing their fantasy Tivo, there is no point at all in stating how Tivos really function, because that fact is obvious or the fantasy wouldn't be needed.

11. Bighouse

Bighouse 200 Club Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Guerneville, CA
    Exactly.

12. Millionaire2K

Millionaire2K New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Then put in multiple decoders. Its a fantasy box.

13. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Though I don't use PIP in the same way I used to, I use it ALL THE TIME on my XS32, which I route my Tivos through. When watching a recording ON the XS32, I use PIP to sometimes halfway-watch another thing in PIP (e.g. a game show where I can FF through to the interesting bits), or for the VERY rare times I watch something live, to watch something else and use PIP to keep track of when the main show comes back on.

Actually, I think that the new IP set top box _will_ be the "new magic box", and I personally have thought of using it this way. I very often dub things to my XS32 as I mentioned above.. so I can watch non-scripted things faster than realtime. But I would ALSO like to be able to watch something else from the Tivo at the same time.

So, before this thread, I have imagined doing this:

1) Dub one thing to the XS32 WHILE
    2) Watching another show via the IP STB *on the same TV* via another TV input...

should work..

14. Aero 1

Aero 1 Member

Aug 8, 2007
    never mind all of that. you will need a magic tv that will do PIP via HDMI inputs only, it doesn't exist.

15. Bighouse

Bighouse 200 Club Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Guerneville, CA
    Huh? I can do pop with two of my four hdmi inputs on mt Sony Bravia.

16. vurbano

vurbano New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    no.

17. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    But PoP is not PiP. PoP is "Picture Outside Picture" which splits the screen in half and shows two pictures of equal size.

PiP "Picture in Picture" shows the second program in a small window.

18. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    It depends on how you use it. My brother refuses to upgrade his dying old projection TV because it has splitscreen. They use it all the time to run multiple games at the same time. They also will sometimes play the 360 while watching a game.

I keep telling him just to go with 2 smaller sets over one large set.

19. Bighouse

Bighouse 200 Club Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Guerneville, CA
    In reading about the TiVo Stream device, it would give me the functioning I'm looking for. I hope it's priced similarly to my Apple tv!

20. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Yes, as I described above!!!!