1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Four digit channels?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by morac, Apr 9, 2012.

1. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    I've never received any 4 digit channels before so I just want to check. My Comcast bill said that I should be getting new channels on April 25 in the 1000 to 1999 range.

I'm assuming my Series 3 and Premiere will be able to handle this, correct?

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yes they can handle 4 digit channels just fine.

Dan

3. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
  4. CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    If this is what I think it is, it is a standardization of channel ranges for different kinds of content, and assigning the HD version of an SD channel as the SD channel plus an fixed offset. Since the channel numbers have nothing to do with the frequency which carries the channel, there is no problem for the channel assignments to be sparse.

5. GoEagles

GoEagles New Member

Dec 2, 2006
    I have Comcast as well and a lot of the channels from 1000 - 2000 are so are just duplicates of other HD stations below 1000. They will be HD channels you will probably never use or real niche content, i.e, Channel 1315 is another HD channel for Jewelry TV and Channel 1863 is RetroPlex HD whatever the hell that is.

6. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    I don't think it's the reorganization as only the 10 or so new channels are being added above 1000.

My area recently went 100% digital so they are adding some of the "niche" channels in HD. Channels like BBC America HD, Oxygen HD, C-SPAN HD and Fox Soccer Channel HD, among others. Personally I've been waiting for BBC America HD for over a year and am finally getting it. I'm also getting The Hub HD which I want. With this update, all the channels I watch will finally be in HD.