1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Football audio: Gurgling background noise

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by nrnoble, Jan 13, 2013.

1. nrnoble

nrnoble Member

Aug 25, 2004
    Recently while watching a couple of NFL games, I've noticed an ever-present background noise that I best can describe as "Gurgling", technically I think its highly compressed filtering of the crowd noise. The commentators and other sounds come through clear, but the crowd sound is really bad because it does not sound like the typical crowd noise at football games, it just sounds like gurgling in the background.

Anyone else notice this with live NFL games (or other sports)?

2. rahnbo

rahnbo Active Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Florida
    I noticed every game sounds a little different and some have a very odd sound to them I can't even describe. It's got to be a nightmare to be a sound engineer for an event like that but I think generally speaking the NFL games on FOX have the worst sound & video quality and sometimes even the video shrinks down to the middle of the screen. Have you noticed if its on all networks or just one? Also it seems FOX has a knack for putting a microphone right next to some crazy screaming fan for the whole game.

3. takeshi

takeshi New Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Not a sports fan but what you're describing sounds like compression artifacts.

4. nrnoble

nrnoble Member

Aug 25, 2004
    It was on Fox games that I noticed it, but I have not yet compared it to CBS, NBC, or ESPN games. It just sounds bad. Maybe I noticed it more because I was sound engineer in college, and bad sound mixing stands out whenever I hear it. :)

5. nrnoble

nrnoble Member

Aug 25, 2004
    Yes, that is what it sounds like to me. I hear the same bad effect on Satellite radio when I listen to the the talk radio channels. For reasons I don't understand, they really compress the talk radio channels so it sounds like the early audio compression algorithms from the early 90s; it sounds like a bad AM radio channel.

6. jano18

jano18 New Member

Oct 15, 2012
    I also heard some audio distortion through my side surrounds yesterday on Fox during the Seattle vs Atlanta game. I attributed it the broadcast because the Houston vs New England game on CBS was fine.

7. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    I've heard it too on Fox and CBS NFL games, a background rumble of some sorts. Pretty annoying at times.

NBC sets the standard for audio here.

8. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    That's just the sound of fans quaffing beers to make sure they have a good time worth the $50+ per seat they paid! :cool: That many stadiums were paid for by tax money taken from citizens who can't afford a seat, even if they wanted one, is a scandal IMO.

9. celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Inyears past CBS always had the best sound on the nfl broadcast with dolby 5.1 surround sound,but i notice the sound on the fox broadcast of the NFC playoffs was much louder and better sounding this time around ,clearly fox has improved their dolby sound for ,the playoffs. I hope this translates to their regular broadcast of primetime viewing as well. especially with shows like touch and the following coming up.