1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food Network is terrible now

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by mwhip, Nov 16, 2012.

1. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Just like the demise of MTV and recently ESPN, Food Network is virtually unwatchable.

All they ever show is reality cooking shows, Cupcake wars, restaurant impossible and Chopped.

There is never any actual cooking anymore. I miss the days of Molto Mario, Rachel Ray and Emeril Lagasse actually in a kitchen cooking. Their alternate channel is not in HD so to me I can't look at it.

Thank God for PBS and their cooking shows!

2. Mikeyis4dcats

Mikeyis4dcats Active Member

Oct 2, 2003
    the give the viewers what the want.

3. pmyers

pmyers Active Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I love RI and Chopped!

Also Triple D and Guy's kitchen

4. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    A large percentage (possibly: majority) of the channel still features cooking shows. That is, if you consider Paula Deen and Sandra Lee to be cooks. Even if not there's still Giada and others. It's true that the prime time slots are filled with shows like the ones you named, but even then there are some cooking shows in prime time.

5. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    They still have cooking shows on all morning and afternoon during the week and all morning on the weekends.

I stopped watching RI when they started forcing viewers to go to the website to get the updates on how the restaurant was doing.

6. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    There's also Cooking Channel, which still features almost exclusively cooking shows, some of which originated on Food Network, others that just feature Food Network stars.

7. pmyers

pmyers Active Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I agree that I hate that!

8. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    We actually like FN more now than when it first started. Early on when it was nothing but cooks mixing up food for 30 minutes all day long, it got REALLY boring. There's only so many times you can watch them make a casserole or cook a steak etc.

I think they now just put those kind of shows on Saturday mornings and that's about it.

9. Robin

Robin Nasty Woman

Dec 6, 2001
    Southwestern...
    It's all my fault. I cut the cord and stopped watching.

10. bengalfreak

bengalfreak Active Member

Oct 20, 2002
    The Food Network now is more about personalitites than cooking. I guess it's what get them the ratings that they want, but I find myself rarely tuned in anymore. When I was a fan, the Food Network was about cooking.

I watch the cooking channel quite a bit. Its what the Food Network used to be. I find it simply ridiculous that someone will completely ignore an entire channel simply because its not in HD. Even though I much prefer the visuals of HD, to me television is all about the content. And to tell you the truth, my television is so good at displaying SD programming, I hardly notice.

11. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh.

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I used to love Emeril's shows, both the half hour kitchen shows and the hour long live audience shows. Alton Brown's shows were very interesting to. Somewhere along the way I just stopped watching.

12. omnibus

omnibus cowboy, yee-ha

Sep 25, 2001
    Lost in Wyoming
    I'm addicted to Americas test kitchen and a few food network shows. Chris Kimball the host of ATK looks like the ultimate stuffed shirt as first but he grows on you inspite of his geekie personna. Now they even have eye candy, a new brunette.

13. markymark_ctown

markymark_ctown Active Member

Oct 11, 2004
    C-Town
    really? i love guy fierri and hear he has an awesome new place in NYC. can't wait to check it out...

14. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    Yeah.

Wait, what???????

:D

15. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Zoom or Mooz? I get confused.

Emeril was a big personality but he had the credentials, manning Commanders Palace for all those years is no small feat. I have also eaten at NOLA a couple times in New Orleans and the guy can cook.

16. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    Yep. The same company owns the Food Network and the Cooking Channel.

The Cooking Channel is like when MTV Networks created MTV 2 (and later, MTV Hits) to actually, you know, play music. The Cooking Channel is for people who liked the Food Network when it used to be about cooking.

17. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Yes but some of the new hosts are terrible. That NJ girl who is like a caricature? She is terrible.

18. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Well, if you look at the guide data, that show ("Bitchin' Kitchen") is listed as "comedy," and is an expansion of some web comedy videos that the host posted online. The whole persona she does for that show is indeed an act for comedic effect.

The host, Nadia Giosia, is actually Canadian born of Italian immigrants.

19. brebeans

brebeans New Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Totally agree! I HATE "reality cooking" TV, especially. Because, since when would be given all of these exotic ingredients and be asked to make something with them?!?!? And, the judges aren't even cooks (most of the time!). None of the 'reality' shows are reality!!

I know they have a few shows on that actually show someone cooking but not many.

Give me Emeril, and the other cooks anytime. I, too, like Cook's Test Kitchen.

I like me some Jacques Pepin, Julia, Emeril and some of the newer cooks, too!

Last, I heard Guy's new restaurant got terrible reviews...
    And, he's so full of himself on his show...I get tired of watching him eat and hearing his grunts and groans over, supposedly, how good the food is...blah...

20. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    All these niche channels have gone this way. My wife is a big fan of HGTV, but everytime she has it on, it's some real estate show, where they have some couple moving to a new city and they show them houses.