1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food Network & HGTV losing viewers...

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by terpfan1980, Jan 20, 2011.

1. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    News via TV Week: Viewers Appear to Be Losing Their Appetite for Food Network, HGTV (apparently originally from NY Post)...

Click the link if you want to read the original, very short, article...

The article didn't mention one of the things I would have perhaps chaulked this up to: the creation of the new "Cooking" channel and movement of some of the content that had been or would have been on Food Network over to it. After rebranding the old channel (Fine living?) over to "Cooking" and putting content there, I would have expected to see viewership for Food Network go down since it seems the people behind the networks were simply fracturing their own audiences.

They don't mention that in the short blurb that the headline links to, but they do offer some other possibilities and comments following the article offer still more.

Either way it's not great news for Food Network or HGTV at this point but they most likely will make changes and perhaps find something that pulls in viewers again.

2. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    They certainly haven't lost my wife. Those (and TLC) are her go-to channels whenever she's not watching something pre-recorded on TiVo.

3. DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    This does not surprise me. The Food Network seems to be putting more of those shows based on the "Best Week Ever" formula where they have cooks and celebrities talking about their favorite thanksgiving dinner dish.

If they don't have that then they have those stupid bake a giant cake shows, and for some reason when you make a 10 ft cake there is always some requirement to have to move the thing across a room or something. I also don't like those competition shows where the cooks get criticized by celebs on how crappy or good their stuff tastes. You can easily tell that Food Network is trying the MTV strategy of putting all of that dummed down dramatic stuff on to try to woo back viewers, but apparently it isn't working.

I like the Alton Brown Good-Eats type shows, even though that guy is a little OCD on some of his techniques. The Cooking Channel seems to have programing similar to the early days of Food Network, so we have been watching that more. I also like the "America's Test Kitchen" show on PBS. I have no interest in seeing people get all dramatic and complaining behind each other's back about building a life-size Disney castle cake that is in constant danger of falling over and probably doesn't taste good anyhow.

4. frankmint

frankmint New Member

Feb 1, 2004
    Near...
    That is what happens when you push out the chefs (Mario, Emeril, etc.) and put all your eggs in the personality basket (Guy, Guy etc.).

5. dwells

dwells Active Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Birmingham, Al
    This- EXACTLY- could not have said it better myself. Food Network had a good thing going and screwed it up- it used to be one of our favorite channels, but now we watch the cooking channel more

6. IJustLikeTivo

IJustLikeTivo New Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    I blame it on Paula Dean and the Neelys. Way too much of them on the network.

7. Bob_Newhart

Bob_Newhart My Custom User Title

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston
    Is that jackass Holmes on Homes still around? What a jackass.

8. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Yes he's still around and why is he a jackass?

(You wouldn't happen to be one of those shoddy contractors would you? :D )

9. jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    One Holmes show is enough. We don't need two.

Ditto for Guy Fieri (or however it's spelled).

Man vs. Food is played out and Food Wars never took off.

Between Property Virgins, My First Place, House Hunters and House Hunters International, they've got basically the same TV show on for hours each and every day. I like those shows, but dislike the lack of variety.

Same thing now with Chopped, Cupcake Wars and the other bake-off shows. Just 'cause it worked once doesn't mean it will work ad naseum. :rolleyes:

Mario and Emeril were personalities too. But they did have better skills than some of the new wave personalities (Rachel Ray, Guy Fieri, etc.).

10. 7thton

7thton no, no, no.

Mar 3, 2005
    I cannot believe how bad the Food Network has gotten.

The Worst Cook in America show is AWEFUL and obviously made on a shoestring budget. Chopped is terrible too and is/was basically the same show as Worst Cook...

Anne Burrell is overexposed/overused and so is Guy Ferry.

Paula Deen is awful and so fake.

Robert Irvine is likable, but lied about his chef credentials for YEARS before he was caught, his hand slapped, and put right back on the air.

The Next Foodnetwork Star is actually an interesting show, but is somewhat ruined by the fact that the judges seem pretty damn arbitrary about who they kick off and who they keep.

11. Snappa77

Snappa77 RUDEBWOY

Feb 14, 2004
    BOSTON
    ^^^^^^ This.

I agree 100%.

12. sieglinde

sieglinde New Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I have found that if I need to learn a cooking technique, it is on YouTube. So I don't need an entire channel to learn how to cook and I have noticed they use too much butter and other fats in their foods.

13. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Food Network can still be a fun distraction and I enjoy the Diners Drive In's type shows etc...but hate the shows where the rich chefs spend an hour bragging about the "best food" they've ever eating...most of which is priced out of most viewers budgets etc.

If you want cooking class shows like the old days of FN, you do need to look elsewhere it seems.

14. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh.

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    The only show I've watched on the Food network in the last couple of years is Man vs. Food and I haven't seen a new one of those in months. Every time I go into my season passes, I make sure I lower its rank so it doesn't clobber a new show I really want to see.

Is there a show for beer or wine afficianados on one of the food channels?

15. IJustLikeTivo

IJustLikeTivo New Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    I agree with most of this but I give Irvine a pass. Mostly, he exaggerated on his resume and when caught, took a blow for a while. But, he came back cause, he is good at what he does and mostly entertaining. I dislike the Worst cook mostly cause I hate Burrell and really liked Dinner Impossible.

16. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I like her.

She's an actual, professional restaurant chef with a good pedigree.

17. lambertman

lambertman To see you, Nice

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    Man v Food is actually on Travel Channel, so that's an issue right there. Currently, they're doing repackaged clip shows called Carnivore Chronicles. A new season, called Man v Food Nation, is expected later in '11.

For your second question, there's Drink Up and (reruns of) The Thirsty Traveler on Cooking Channel.

18. swinca

swinca Menace to society

Jun 19, 2003
    Jaw-ja y'all
    Like others, I have defected to the Cooking Channel. So many of the shows on Food Network are just lame and silly. HGTV could use some new programming too. Most of the shows I liked are gone. And what's the point of Next Design Star if their shows aren't good and you never see the winners again? Aside from David Bromstad, which of those winners are still around? Well, there is The Antonio Treatment, but that sucks too.

19. 7thton

7thton no, no, no.

Mar 3, 2005
    Hmm. I actually quite like the Antonio Treatment.

20. 7thton

7thton no, no, no.

Mar 3, 2005
    I too give him a pass. But it was still a fumble which resulted in Dinner: Impossible getting a new host for a season, which hurt the show.