1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Breaking News - The sale is back... "Our “once in a lifetime” PLS promotion was such a hit, that we’ve decided to launch it again! The PLS Transfer Sale will be available again for the last 3 days of the month. This will include the BOLT+ 3TB, and 4 refurb units (BOLT 500GB, BOLT 1T, Roamio Pro and the TiVo Mini)." https://www.tivo.com/secondchancelifetimesale#/secondchancelifetimesale

Folders

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by bobfrank, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Feb 5, 2017 #1 of 10
    bobfrank

bobfrank Member

Mar 17, 2005
    I always used a PyTivo push to put videos into folders of my choice. Now that push no longer works I haven't been able to do that.

Is there any way to get my videos into folders of my choice on the Tivo? I have travel videos and videos of my grand kids, for example, that I'd like to put in separate folders.

2. Feb 5, 2017 #2 of 10
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
  3. Feb 6, 2017 #3 of 10
    MHunter1

MHunter1 TiVo Bug Hunter

Oct 11, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Rovi has made this difficult for recordings, but for home movies and even YouTube videos downloaded using Keepvid, I've been using the following as my .txt template with good results:

seriesTitle : Grandkids
    episodeTitle : Timmy's pet turtle
    originalAirDate : 2017-01-01T00:00:00Z
    time : 2017-01-01T20:00:01Z
    description : Tim lets his turtle swim in the kiddie pool on January 1, 2017.
    isEpisode : true
    seriesId : TS99999909

Make sure the video's file name and the .txt file name are identical, then add the video's file type (such as .mp4) to the end of your .txt document's file name (I use Notepad on Windows for my .txt file) and keep them in the same file folder pyTivo will be accessing.

The key for proper folder sorting post-Rovi seems to be assigning an arbitrary seriesId tag unique to that folder which begins with "TS" (transport stream) followed by eight digits. Keep a list of all your seriesId and corresponding seriesTitle tags for future reference.

For the time code, I arbitrarily use 20:00 for Pacific Standard Time from November to March (19:00 during Daylight Time) which is 12pm noon, then I adjust the minutes or seconds if I want multiple videos from the same day to sort in a particular order.

Desktop Plus - ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Mikeguy likes this.
  4. Feb 6, 2017 #4 of 10
    bobfrank

bobfrank Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Thanks, but that doesn't seem to apply to what I'm want to accomplish.

5. Feb 6, 2017 #5 of 10
    bobfrank

bobfrank Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Thanks, I'll give this a try. A few questions first.

1. I assume I would pull to the Tivo using pyTivo, true?
    2. The naming of the video file and the text file would be like the following, true?
    movie.mp4
    movie.mp4.txt
    3. Are the originalAirDate and time fields required?
    4. Using the old pyTivo push to put videos in folders I could use an all alpha seriesId. Does the techique you describe require the 8 digits as the only seriesId option?

Thanks again.

6. Feb 6, 2017 #6 of 10
    Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Yep, I can see why you would say that--sorry.

I was trying to get at MetaGenerator, which can be used to create a recording metadata file to accompany a recording file, to create a folder on a TiVo box. Here's a short, separate, recent thread on this: How Do I Setup My Own Series Folder On The Tivo?.

As well as a pyTivo thread on MetaGenerator: pyTivo Discussion Forum :: View topic - MetaGenerator Version 3

But rather than wading through all of that and setting matters up for yourself (absent your wanting to), MHunter1 seems to have already done the homework, thankfully. :)

7. Feb 6, 2017 #7 of 10
    Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    And, a further Metadata info. page, indicating the optional nature of the date/time fields and how TiVo handles that.

Metadata - pyTivo - Wiki

8. Feb 6, 2017 #8 of 10
    bobfrank

bobfrank Member

Mar 17, 2005
    No need to apologize. I've been using MetaGenerator for a long time to create meta files. I've been pushing videos into custom folders using pyTivo for a long time as well. My problem started when push no longer worked for pyTivo.

Thanks to MHunter1 I have found the only things I need to change are to use "TS" in front of the seriesId and pull with pyTivo.

9. Feb 6, 2017 #9 of 10
    bobfrank

bobfrank Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Here are the answers I found to my own questions above.

1. Yes.
    2. Yes.
    3. No
    4. No, but I haven't fully tested what is actually required in all cases.

Just changing the meta .txt file format I was using to have the seriesId start with TS is all I needed to do to get a pyTivo pull to put videos into custom folders. No other changes to what I was doing with the pyTivo push

Thanks again MHunter1.

Mikeguy likes this.
  10. MHunter1

MHunter1 TiVo Bug Hunter

Oct 11, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Activate pyTivo then use your TiVo's remote control to select the PC icon once it appears at the bottom of the My Shows list as an external server, and "pull" the files you want to transfer from the PC server to the TiVo.

Technically, yes, if your PC's file explorer shows extensions. But I just use simple file names for my videos without the video format extension, then I modify the end of the text file name by adding ".mp4" or ".mpg" or whatever format it is. If I don't know the correct video format extension, I use MetaGenerator to look up any random TV show then save it to see what extension it automatically appended to the text file.

pyTivo Discussion Forum :: View topic - MetaGenerator Version 3

I suppose not. I like my videos to be sorted in a particular chronological order so I always use the time codes. I'm not sure how the files would appear within a folder without those tags.

Metadata - pyTivo - Wiki

You can experiment, but after the Rovi migration I noticed all my folders were no longer sorting properly using the series ID codes I had been using from the MetaGenerator database for years. So after searching TCF for help, someone suggested using the format "TS99991234" as a baseline for the series ID, and it worked for me, but I've heard of others using just six digits.

Is there a way to change folders around?

Mikeguy likes this.